Just exactly what can we do post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just exactly what can we do post-op Just exactly what can we do post-op

Unread 02-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Just exactly what can we do post-op

Okay ladies... please tell me what you have been doing at week 3 and 4... I just started week 4 and since I felt like I had been overdoing, I started a jigsaw puzzle.. Even that hurts to sit and look at puzzle pieces...
I can't just lie in bed, can't seem to walk more than 8 blocks without getting winded, haven't done the housework, riding in the car hurts... so enlighten me.. What are you doing for entertainment.??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 05:42 AM

HIya

I am used to running around normally so I decided to look at the chance to rest as a positive activity for me and at week 4 my friend lent me a load of dvds that I havent had time to watch and that was great cos I was doing something I like but dont get the chance to do very often with 2 dd's and dh

so maybe think of something like that to do and think of resting as a healing aid!

take care

b xx

I am week 7 now
Unread 02-24-2008, 05:44 AM

Entertainment? Well let me tell you at 4 wks.

4 wks appt with Dr. She said I could start to do stairs, wow now I could assist DH with laundry. Exciting I know.

She said no treadmill till 6 wks. just walking around house or to mailbox, can you stand it.

I did get hooked on watching the Northern Exposure series that a friend loaned me.

She also told me I could try sex, but I told her I'll regulate that time frame, thank you very much. Of course I don't tell DH everything.

I started an afgan, but my patience level for that is not the greatest, only 1/3 finished.

I realize this sounds kind of boring, and it is. But somehow the time flew by.

Now today I'm going to take a walk in the woods near our home and see how I do with a little rougher terrain.
Good luck and hopefully my exciting life didn't put you over the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 06:34 AM

Northbound... where in Illnois are you...? I am so afraid of slipping on ice.
However yesterday I walked 8 city blocks and got very tired.
I asked my step-daughter to send me the instructions for an afghan we did together years ago.. I would like to get another one of those made.
My doctor said I could do stairs almost from the beginning, so laundry is kinda passe' now.. I know we are still supposed to be resting, but my back aches so much if I don't get up and move around.
ps... as far as sex, mine told me at least 10 wks... that coupled with the D&C I had in Dec. will put it at about 4 months... can anyone say " virgin"
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattieO
Okay ladies... please tell me what you have been doing at week 3 and 4... I just started week 4 and since I felt like I had been overdoing, I started a jigsaw puzzle.. Even that hurts to sit and look at puzzle pieces...
I can't just lie in bed, can't seem to walk more than 8 blocks without getting winded, haven't done the housework, riding in the car hurts... so enlighten me.. What are you doing for entertainment.??
It took me almost 3 weeks to divorce Mr. Foley Catheter and get permission to drive. By then I was ready to get out. The first day I overdid it. It was ok, but I knew when I was out that I was overdoing it. I went shopping at a scrapbooking store that was going out of business (actually I hit the 2 that were "local" which consisted of logging about 150 miles on the car).

After that, I took a single trip each day - to Target or KMart - just to walk around and be out of the house.

I eventually got back to work on some scrapbooking projects that I had completely blown off. I also made thank you cards for all the acts of kindness that had been bestowed on me since my surgery.

I'll tell you that I am 6 weeks post-op and I haven't gotten much more adventurous - with the exception of going to movies a couple of times.
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:14 AM

I'm a couple of min. from Joliet, yea we still have some ice.
We have alot of Forest Preserves around us along with the I&M Canal. My DH has a nice walking stick I'm going to use just in case of whatever, (don't have a good answer for that but I'm taking it anyway). We're taking my cousin, his wife and 3 girls out deer shed hunting. Hopefully the girls will find one, their very excited.

All my steps outside have been very deliberate, I really don't need to slip or fall. So it should be a challenging day, but I'm up for the challenge. Hopefully I'll have a good report on this.

The afgan is fun and passes the time very well.

I understand about back hurting from sitting, so I'm up and down all the time.
It's really is scary getting back to normal activities, they put the fear of God into me during recovery. So I'm really trying to take it easy, this laptop has been a great aid in recovery also.
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:36 AM

I guess that is what I am talking about... I did post a thread about Dr's orders and everyone had something different... Mine didn't seem to have a problem with stairs if I did them slowly. My friend's dr. told her no stairs so she stayed in the house for the first 4 wks.

Northbound:
I love the I& M canal for biking... haven't walked out there since our dog passed away.. You do have some nice areas for walking... Enjoy the sunshine today... and happy "deer shed hunting"..
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:48 AM

This is my firsttime on this website. I am wk 4 2mrw. I am also wondering what I can do. Been doing stairs, laundry. Sat thru a few of my daughters h.s. basketball games, on a pillow of course! Drove for the 1st time today. Swelly belly........soreness.....would like to know of any exercises to do.
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:19 AM

In my "normal life" I am SO busy and always on the go that I rarely have time to watch movies, but I love movies! So, my entertainment has been catching up on all the movies I have been wanting to see over the past year! It has been great.... I have watched more movies (DVDs.... not the theater) in the past 3 weeks than I have watched in the entire year of 2007! haha.

I also am involved in some volunteer work (which I'm taking time off right now so I can heal), but I have a lot I can do on my lap top for this volunteer work, so I've been on my lap top a lot...and that passes time as well.

And, taking naps.... that has been fun. Naps are another thing I rarely have time for in my "normal" life since I'm always on the go. So, basically, I'm doing all the things I never have time for when I'm not recovering from surgery! ;-)
Unread 02-24-2008, 03:18 PM

I think this thread is interesting: I had a TAH with ovary removal and some type of repair (retocele or something - i do not have the spelling yet as it was not part o the agreed program but th surgeon saw something and fixed it) on 02/04/08

Two weeks after the surgery the Surgeon did an internal (OUCH!!) and then said I'm fine - do not come back. Wait 3 months foor a colonoscopy, take the cruise in mid- march that I have planned and feel free to board a plane and go to europe if the opportunity presents itself. (I am a travel agent)

I am having trouble limiting my actions as my surgeon did not limit them (except no sex for 6 weeks, do not lift anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks and do not exercise for 6 weeks..but walk LOTS). So I am doing everything that I want to do - sitting at my computer working, shopping, laundry etc. I read that others have been told NOT to do things that I am doing - which is sort of worrying me. I am not resting as much as others - but do not feel a need for it. Should I force myself to rest though? Even though my doctor did not tell me to? I am curious...

Any input will be interesting

My big issue is the UTI that has had two different antiboitics thrown at it and yet still seems to be present...wish that that and my bladder issues would go away..

Jax

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register