Just exactly what can we do post-op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just exactly what can we do post-op Just exactly what can we do post-op

Unread 02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Just exactly what can we do post-op

I'll tell ya what, ladies, ENJOY YOUR TIME OFF!!! Before you know it it's gone and you're back to being a regular person with regular responsibilities. I know you get get totally bored and want to be out there doing everything you did before surgery, but it when you look back on it, you'll remember how nice it was when everyone did everything for you. I don't think many of us ever experienced that before surgery.

I'll be 6 weeks post op tomorrow and today I went grocery shopping, swept and mopped the kitchen and dining room, ran the vacuum cleaner around the living room, did 3 loads of laundry and currently have a meatloaf in the oven. DH and I even had a go at it this morning, which was our 2nd (and most successful) attempt. I AM A PAMPERED PRINCESS NO MORE AND I MISS IT!!

But in all seriousness, it's so good to be back! I'm tired, but it's a good tired if you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM

At four weeks I was considering going back to work early - then said NAH! not very often you get a chance to take 6 weeks to rest and recouperate - glad I did! I returned to work on Feb 20th (six weeks)- full time (which actually is 3- 14 hour shifts 6am-8pm) And I am more tired and sore than I was at week 1!! Mind you it is a different sore and my doc (who I saw on my lunch break for my 6 week check up) said all is good and expect that I will be tired but it was ok to start pushing myself a little - she gave me guidelines and a "watch out for" list but assured me it's ok to start increasing things. At 4 weeks I was doing 2-3 miles on an elliptical 4-5 times a week..I started at week 2 at a slow steady pace and gradually increased the time - I found each day was a little stronger than the day before - I'm almost back to baseline - even with a herniated disk I acquired on post op day 10 after a fall on the ice!!! The walking was a bit stressful on the treadmill so I switched to the elliptical - a much lower-impact workout, but helped IMMENSLY with the lightening bolt pain from the back injury! So I guess I'm saying take it slow and steady and rebuild your strength, enjoy your time off and don't be afraid to "normalize" gradually!

Keep healing!
Trish
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax
Should I force myself to rest though? Even though my doctor did not tell me to? I am curious...

Any input will be interesting
Jax
Jax - good to "hear" from you. I was wondering how you were doing.

I guess I would say that if your doctor didn't place limits on you and you are not feeling any pain or discomfort by doing these things, I would continue. I know that several people were told not to do steps, but my wanted me to make a point of doing mine once a day (even though she knew that I didn't need to go down my steps except to leave the house or go to the basement to do laundry).

I'm no worse for wear. It doesn't sound like you are either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattieO
Okay ladies... please tell me what you have been doing at week 3 and 4... I just started week 4 and since I felt like I had been overdoing, I started a jigsaw puzzle.. Even that hurts to sit and look at puzzle pieces...
I can't just lie in bed, can't seem to walk more than 8 blocks without getting winded, haven't done the housework, riding in the car hurts... so enlighten me.. What are you doing for entertainment.??
My favorite entertainment was online shopping and reading on the internet. HBO and Showtime on Demand along with Blockbuster helped with the TV situation.

I walked around my house for exercise and made "Honey Do" lists for my DH. He never did half of the stuff, but we both knew it kept me occupied.

Going to Wal-Mart or Target once or twice a week helped to offset some of the boredom. DH would drive and I would ride in the electric cart and buy everything I could find on the endcaps...
Unread 03-02-2008, 04:58 AM

I was only told no whoppie, and no lifting over 10 pounds and not to walk up the steps more than once or twice a day.
I have to walk up steps to go to the bathroom, so the first 3 days I lived in the bedroom, I had my DH bring the DVD player up to our room and I also caught up on several movies that we had bought and that I hadn't even watched yet.

I do several different kinds of crafts, reading and puzzle books however for some reason I just haven't been able to get into any of those.
Internet and TV seems to be for me for now.

And I do not seem to be able yet to do the things my doc said would be able to do, so I am taking it as my body seems to be letting me know how.

I have other health problems which I feel also may be taking me a little longer to recover.
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:06 AM

I too am confused by the varying doctors orders that we are all getting, however, I assume it is based on both different doctor preferences and our specific cases. My doctor told me recovery could be anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks, but he also said I had to depend on my own common sense for what I could do and not do. Some days I think I don't have any common sense since I seem to keep overdoing it! I COMPLETELY agree with the boredom factor. I went back to work part time last Monday. In my home time I've been reading a lot, working on my lap top, and walking around the house. I also found Target to be a good walking place. Some days seem long and others are shorter, but hopefully time will get us through this. Hang in there!
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volony1
I too am confused by the varying doctors orders that we are all getting, however, I assume it is based on both different doctor preferences and our specific cases. My doctor told me recovery could be anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks, but he also said I had to depend on my own common sense for what I could do and not do.
The only restriction I got was on vaginal sex. When I asked my doctor about lifting restrictions, stairs, etc he looked at me and said "just use common sense. We're given this amazing meter to judge what we can and can't do". I looked at him and said "if it hurts, don't do it !". So technically I was given only the one restriction. I've gotten most of my "common sense" on what to do / not do from Hystersisters. I can tell I pushed it a little today (I watered my orchids - about 50 plants). Hubby helped but I'm hurting anyway. Little things actually take alot more "work" then I thought they did.

By the way, I did ask my doctor why everyone is given so many different rules on bowel prep (I had none) and post-op restrictions. He said most of it is simply based upon what the doctor is most comfortable with - that there are no scientific studies to prove that one way is better than another.
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM

i am 2 days short of 4 weeks post op from TVH. i am pretty well back to doing normal activities, but i do tire out quick. i am pretty much pain free other than needing the occasional tylenol or motrin.
i might be pushing myself a little, but with 2 kids, and hubby working 4-midnite, i almost have to!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register