I don't miss my uterus, is that weird? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't miss my uterus, is that weird? I don't miss my uterus, is that weird?

Unread 02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't miss my uterus, is that weird?

Wendy I am so glad you asked this question, I have been wondering the same thing. I have 4 great kids ( my husband got a vasctomy) and didn't plan on any more so I wasn't upset about that. I don't feel any sort of loss except of painful periods and the pain from my prolapse. I don't feel all emotional (except 1 day when I would have had my peroid). I was thinking something was wrong with me!!! When I read other women not feeling like a women anymore I was thrown for a loop, esp. after some of the comments from other people reguarding that they were less of a woman than before. I even asked my DH if he felt that way and he was shocked anyne would feel that way too. God made me a woman not a uterus so that just really suprised me. I am so glad that I am not alone in feeling this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 02:58 PM

Wow, I thought I was the only one NOT having a problem with this. Couldn't understand why I wasn't feeling any depression or sadness like so many others. But then again, to me, my uterus is just another body part that caused me trouble, so bye bye uterus. I am childless by choice, so maybe that's another reason I wasn't sad over my TAH.

From the moment I decided to have the TAH (heavy bleeding, cramping, debilitating pain) to the moment of surgery and to present (13wks post-op), I have not shed one tear! Not an emotional day at all. (well except for a hallmark movie here and there). My TAH was just another speedbump. What can I say, I come from a long line of hearty pioneer stock!
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM

a few people have asked me if i regret it...honestly NO. with all the troubles it has caused
my best friend asked me if i "felt empty" and i told her not really because i knew i was done having kids (even though hubby would have liked more, but becasue of all the medical issues i had after #2, the tubal was my best option) and already had my tubes tied 3 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM

You are NOT crazy. I have no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision when I had my LSH 6 weeks ago! I have had a 'cycle' since and I cannot tell you how wonderful it felt to know my cycle was present and I was not doubled over in pain! It was freaky at first but wow, what a feeling.

I, too, am very sad for those who did not have this surgery by choice and may have wanted to have children. I cannot imagine. My choice was strictly quality of life and I feel like I will feel the full effects soon!
Unread 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Misshairlady,

Along the same lines, before my surgery a friend of mine asked me if I had thought about how I will feel not ever having a period again. She asked me if I will feel less femanine not having a period, or if I will feel like I won't fit in with my girlfriends anymore since they all have periods. I looked at her as if she were from Mars. HAHA!! I am excited about never having a period again! I don't miss it at all..... not one bit. Why would not having a period make me not fit in with my friends who do have periods? Other than this one friend who brougth this up, many of my girlfriends have told me how lucky I am to never have a period again!! :-) I do not feel less femanine at all.

I should be having my period this week if I had not had my surgery 21 days ago, and boy, is it NIIIIICE to not have to ever deal with a period again. If I weren't so darn sore still from surgery, I'd be dancing around this week celebrating that I'm not bleeding this week. I guess I'll have to wait until next month to do the celebration dance. :-)

I do not miss anything having to do with my uterus!
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:06 AM
I don't miss mine also:)

Hi sisters:
First of all, I would like to say that my heart bleeds for any sister that has the lost the possibility of having children. As for me, I have, and my uterous has always been bothersome to me. It seems to be partly genetic; my grandmother, mother, sister & now my oldest daughter. My mother had a hysti at age 26; that was very young. In those days, medical technology wasn't like it is now.

I don't miss mine at all; losing it has been such a Blessing to me. It was almost like it became a foreign object in my body. I don't miss the severe pain, bleeding, or painful sex. Since I can remember, from a teenager when I first started my menses, it was trouble from the start.

I think we all reserve the right to feel how we feel; each of us are different with different circumstances and situations. God loves us all unconditionally and He knows are hearts!! Remember, He loves us...individually...just as we are....He created us....just as we are!! Much love sisters
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Definitely not the only one

I never had children for many different reasons but I had sort of decided I'd let fate or God or whatever make that call - turned out my gigantic fibroids made the decision for me when I was 40. I've never been sorry or sad at all. I certainly don't miss the terrible cramping and heavy periods! I am sorry for those who will be/are/have been grieving but I think that it is okay not to miss the uterus too.
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:52 AM

WOW. You are one strong woman. Hugs to you.
but then again, with God you can do anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHrey
I just wanted to clarify something.

My choice did not have anything to do with wanting children or a maternal instinct. I always wanted children. I love them and that is why I believe that GOD called me into Children and Youth Ministry.

My choice was to wait for the person that GOD has for me. Either I missed him or he hasn't been sent to me yet. EIther way, I'm waiting. That said, at 42 years of age - If he showed up right this minute - I would not consider having a child now.

No less a woman. More than a conquerer. Waiting on The LORD.
Unread 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Everyone here has summed up my feelings exactly. I feel freed by this surgery. The choice of having another child was taken away 24 years ago after the birth of my only child. Dh had a vasectomy on the advice of our Dr. I in no way equate a uterus with who I am as a woman or as a person. To me it was only a source of physical pain.
Unread 03-05-2008, 07:38 AM

I will admit at first I was emotional, felt a bit angry and betrayed by my body but a few wise sisters on this site and close family and friends helped me through that. They helped me realize that my options for infertility treatments were minimal and that the abnormal biopsies were not getting better...getting pregnant or trying may have actually shortened or ended my life (hard to look after kids that way). Once I got through that (and I do still have my moments) I happily embraced no more accidents, carry extra pants to work, buying stock in Always and chewing motrin like candy...I KNOW I made the right decision and I will be a healthy, happy mom of a wonderful Adopted child someday!!
Trish

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register