Walking Question..post-op five days.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking Question..post-op five days.. Walking Question..post-op five days..

Unread 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Walking Question..post-op five days..

Ladies,

I was just talking to my sister in law who thinks I'm doing too much walking...and I wanted to ask you what you were doing...

Yesterday I did around the block twice which took twenty minutes each..today I went to the nature park and we walked for sixty minutes..

My prior physical activity was very active and I did cardio, (running/cycling) six days a week with strength training..so was in very good shape..I don't feel unwell, but I don't want to have to go back for alterations..

The surgeon told me to walk more each day and he said the length/speed would just occur...

Any thoughts for me? I am not walking fast by any means...but I am walking...

HELP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Hi Cynthia
If you can walk that much and not hurt or become exhausted I would say your body is ok with what you're doing. We're all different. I was an exerciser too but could never have done what you're doing at less than a week post op.

The big thing for each of us as individuals is to listen to your body. It may have been too much for your SIL but might be fine for you. Keep in mind that your body needs energy to heal. I think it would be a mistake to push yourself if you're just concerned about maintaining a certain level of fitness. Right now your biggest concern should be to heal well. Listen to what your body tells you and don't push past those limits and you should be fine.
's, Rita
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:29 PM

Cynthia,

I'm just as active as you are (pre-surgery).... I'm a runner and a cyclist as well, and i strength train 2 - 3 times a week, run 5 - 6 days a week, and cycle off and on in the winter, but 3 or so times a week in the summer (this is all pre-surgery). So, I went into my surgery probably just as fit as you were.

I do think we are all totally different and heal very differently, and I've learned that by reading what other women do on this site.

My doctor gave me strict orders to not exercise until 6 weeks. He knows how active i am, and he told me if he said I could go for walks after my surgery, that it'd be such a gray area in terms of what a "walk" is.... for me, a good "walk" is like 3 miles at a brisk pace. So, my doctor told me this:

If it is necessary, then it is OK to do it. If it is not necessary, then don't do it. So, in terms of walking, to me, this meant walk if it's necessary.... getting to and from places, walkign around my house, etc.

He also told me if I think I'll over-exert myself then don't do it. If I won't over-exert myself then I can do it.

He gave me these guidelines and said before I go to do anything that required physical activity to ask myself these questions first. He told me what could happen if I don't heal right (adhesions, scar tissue, etc. that could result in a future surgery to fix all of this). So, I'm just being ULTRA conservative during my recovery because I really do not want to take another 6 weeks out from my sports to fix anything I might have done to keep my body from healing right the first time.

But, this was just my doctor's words, not yours. Your doctor knows you and knows what the best guidelines are for you. So, I say listen to your doctor. If in doubt, call or make an appointment with your doctor and go over the specifics.... ask him/her if goign for a 60 min. walk is OK. I think some doctors will say, "walking is fine", but they might be thinking when they say that that it will be interpreted as a 10 minute stroll down the street.

So, I'd make sure you and your doctor are on the same page. At my pre-op, I wanted to make sure my doctor and i were on the same page, so when he first said nothing for 6 weeks, I had this vision of me laying on my couch for 6 weeks drinking out of a straw. HAHA! so, that is when I told hiim to get specific and tell me what I COULD do nad how much of it, etc. etc., and I feel like I really understood his instructions.

On the other hand, there is no way in this world I could have walked even down the block and back at 5 days post-op. haha. I was having major pain issues for about the first 2 weeks, so that kept me from doing too much for sure... just a walk around my house would wipe me out the first 2 weeks.

So, as you can see... we are ALL different. Just remember to listen to your body. If you feel any aches or pains while you walk, or if the day after you walk, you feel terrible and achy, then that is a sign you've done too much.

I knwo you'll hear this a ton, but it is true.... you ONLY have one chance to heal right!!

Good luck!!!

ps. Just wanted to add: this particular story has always stuck in my mind, and has kept me from doing too much (out of fear, I guess). But, my aunt had a hyster about 10 years ago. Her doctor gave her no guidelines, so she really thought she could do waht she wanted after surgery. So, a week after her surgery, she went back to all her normal activities. She lives in Alaska, so she's very much the outdoors type and did lots out doors. well, about 2 years after her surgery, she started having major abdominal pain. she went to the doctor and found out she had serious adhesions, and though there is no proof, her doctor was sure this was due to her doing way too much right after her hyster. She ended up in another abdominal surgery 2 years later to fix the adhesions. So, before my hyster, she reminded me of her story and told me to TAKE the 6 weeks. Anyway, not to scare you at all... but I figure if it happened to her, it could happen to anyone...

Just listen to your body!! That is the most important!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 01:40 AM

I went to Wal- Mart for 10 mins. and ended up with oozing at my cut later in the day, so who knows. Of course, I also went to the pet and video stores, played with Mom's new puppy and went back to my home to visist my cats. I don't have an answer for you but I really do understand how held back you feel, I think I'll scream next time someone tries to help me! Good luck. Sherry
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:20 AM

I am totally confused as to what is good and what's not good. Everyone (including the nurses and docters) have given me fairly conflicting advice but I think if you just listen to your body and rest when you get tired that is probably all you can do. It is very difficult to do absolutly nothing when you've got children. (as in my case). I had a vaginal hysterectomy which is a better recovery. I have incisions in my vagina. But what about mothers who give birth and tear and need stitches. Also a cesearean birth is surely the same and our babies still need to be taken care of.
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:03 AM

I was concerned about the same thing because I felt up to walking a lot after my surgery and I wanted to be sure I didn't over do it. I have had trouble sleeping since I started menopause and I need to get out into the fresh air and walk for at least 30 minutes every day to help me sleep at night.

. I asked my doctor explicitly when I went in for my two week check up and she said that I could walk as much as I wanted/could - there was no limitation. I asked her about going back to doing yoga and pilates and she said no way - no stretching until 6 weeks. When I went for my 6 week followup - she gave me the ok for pilates and yoga but no weight training until 12 weeks.
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:30 AM

It makes a big difference in the type of surgery and repairs that you have done. I see other women who have had a TVH like I had done, or even a TAH and are moving so much more than I am and I kind of feel like a I'm being lazy. Then I remind myself that we all do heal differently and at a different pace. And so many women say rest, rest, rest. I had so much pelvic muscle reconstruction done, I'm sure that's why my doctor restricted how much I should move and do. I need to wait for everything inside to heal completely. I think it is so great if you're able to be up and moving so much. You'll know if your body is telling you to slow down.
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:05 AM

Hi

The only advice I have been given is to listen to your body. I am now onweek 3 and have just walked for 40 mins at a faster speed than previous weeks and feel ok. But there have been days when I know I may have over done it as my body has told me. You get out of breath and feel absolutely exhausted so you just sit down or lie down with a drink of water and REST. The only way to build up your energy levels is to exercise by walking on a gradual basis. Every one is different as to when and how.
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:12 AM

Everybody is so different and Drs. too. Mine told me no nothing for 6 wks. Just the "have too" stuff, like bathroom, kitchen etc.
I'm not sure how those adhesion things work, really never thought to ask.
Even though I knew I could walk (being careful of course), I just parked my carcass and behaved.
I think she had a camera on me.

The adhesions would be the only thing I'd be concerned about, think I'll look that up.

Take care and have a great day.
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:34 AM

Hi Dans Wife,

I was just about as active as you be surgery and I to was told 6 wks and that my body would tell me when enough was enough. During the first week or even now 3wks post op today I really don't feel up to the long walk, gym or what have you, I'm a little jealous you do.

What sticks in my head is that for me anyway being so active is that when my body tells me enough I am already at the point where I am going to be a little sore and thats before surgery. I really like to push myself and enjoy the burn.

So for now I'm just not doing it because I know I will push to hard by any others standards not my own. You really don't want any set backs that could turn into months or even worse more surgery. Better to be safe than sorry as they say. Also I'm looking at this way, starting over slowly on the fitness scale after 6 weeks will show me results much quicker and be more satisfying (love the challenge of getting back up to speed) Good luck and be careful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register