Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

I got home on Thursday Morning, and boy was it nice to finally get home! And now that I am off the morphine drip I feel I am in more control of my thoughts and dreams. Man that stuff jsut sends you into a tail spin! I am so glad I wrote while in the hospital. it gave me a great dose of reality of what I was feeling while in there right after surgery.I am now on just percocet 1 tab every 4 hours and it is workign well. I am sore but it is liveable.

My biggest concern now is getting the staples removed. I have been told my surgeon is going on vacation. so I have to call on Monday and find out who is goign to do the job! I also plan on calling my Internist and seeing if she can help me.
I am having awful hotflashes! I had to dig out my summer clothes! as people are huddled under blankets I am sprawled under a fan with the smallest amount of clothing possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 02:56 PM

My surgery was 2/27 and I got home yesterday afternoon. I was supposed to have just an SAH but the doctor took both ovaries due to numerous fibroids. She referred to my uterus as a "fibroid farm". I also lost a lot of blood, but I didn't need a transfusion--just iron pills and an iron-rich diet.

I had very little pain, thanks to an internal "pump" with dilauden that went straight to my incision. I think I used the morphine pump maybe once or twice. I switched to Darvoset on the second day and came home with presciption Motrin. I also had no nausea since there was anti-nausea medication in my IV.

I didn't get much sleep in the castle, even with all the medication. Gas pains kept me up the second night until I finally passed gas in the middle of the night.

Since I've been home, I've been laying on the couch--getting up every so often to take a pill, refill my water, or go to the bathroom. I'm just really glad to be home and relieved this is all behind me. I've got a stack of movies ready to watch.
Unread 03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Not bad at all...

I had the surgery 2/25 (LAVH). When I woke up later that afternoon, I was surprised at how well I felt. I had large uterine fibroids and the pain was sometimes unbearable. I stayed in the hospital overnight but was able to walk without assistance the next morning.

I'm now 5 days post op and still no major discomfort other than occasional gas pains and a minor "dull ache". Fortunately, neither requires pain medication. The gas normally passes once I walk around for a few minutes.

I just found this forum today but I wish I'd came across it earlier. I thought I'd share my experience so the next person may find comfort in knowing it's not as bad as it may seem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 04:24 PM

I arrived bright and early 6AM on 2/28 for my TAH/BSO. I was gowned and got my lovely support stockings. I asked for the best IV nurse available, and she got it on the first shot (that's impressive for me!) The anesthesiologist came to talk to me, then my doc came in and talked to me. Then a nurse anesthetist came in with a syringe of "cocktail" to relax me. I remember being wheeled into the little room just before the OR, and seeing someone else waiting for surgery, too. I vaguely remember being put on the operating table, and the oxygen mask going on my face. Then I remember nothing until the recovery room. The pain when I woke up was really bad. They gave me a lot of Toradol, and I had a morphine pump. I was taken to my room about 1:30, and I was pushing the button on the pump as frequently as possible. It was probably 4PM before I was semi-comfortable, but I napped a lot all afternoon.

Dh went home to see to the kids around 8:30, and I tried to sleep, but due to the IV, catheter, and napping a lot during the day, I didn't sleep much. I had my morphine, and a shot of Toradol in my IV every 6 hours.

By Friday morning, I was pretty comfortable. Had a little trouble emptying my bladder when they finally took the cath out, but finally managed. Doc discontinued the morphine and IV around 12:30, and put my on Percoset. She kept up the Toradol (the nurses left an IV lock in my arm) until about 2:30 this morning. I was on Percoset, 10mg, every four hours. Starting at 8AM this morning, I also had 550mg naproxen. I slept pretty well Friday night, too.

Got home about 2:30 this afternoon. I'm still having some pain, but I have to say, it's pretty well controlled by the combination of narcotic and non-narcotic pain meds. It's not as painful as I'd anticipated. For one thing, the incision is considerably smaller than any previous abdominal surgery I've had!

Now I'm going to have dh take me to Wal Mart (I'll use one of their electric carts) because my doc just told me today she wants me to have tummy control underwear! Duh. Why couldn't she tell me that at my pre-op last Tuesday??

Anyway, I've got a little "camp" set up in the living room for myself, with a comfy recliner to sleep in, and a table close by to hold all my stuff!

Glad to see everyone doing so well. I'll be online for short periods of time. The chair at the computer is not comfortable for any length of time!

Best wishes to all my fellow Princesses, and a smooth recovery to you all!
Unread 03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Home Sweet home

I had a LAVH on Tuesday 2/26. Everything went well until they filled my bladder and discovered they sliced a hole in it. They had to make a 3 to 4 inch incision in my c-section scar to repair it and now I have a "super pubic" cath until Monday, March 10.

I was able to keep one ovary so that was some god news on top of the bad. Still taking pain meds. Apparantly They beat me up pretty good in there trying to repair my bladder. My 1 1/2 hour surgery turned in to 6 hours. I am glad to be home.
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:12 AM

Good Morning
Had my TAH on 2/28 Thursday. Arrived at the hospital at 5:30. By 7:30 am I had chatted with the Anethesiologist, my dr, 4 nurses confirming my details. The most important thing was, my happy juice would be administered as I would be wheeled into to OR.
I remember most of the surgical team wearing brightly colored head caps and matching crocs. I said to one of the nurses as I was being wheeled away, I can feel the Happy Juice. The next thing I remember was waking up in Recovery.
A very nice lady named Nell, was my nurse. She was a total sweetheart. She had balm for my lips, ice for my throat and kind words for me. It did not quite hit me that my surgery had been preformed until I moved a bit and sense tenderness around my belly. My pain level was at best a 2, out of 1-10. I exercised plenty prior to my surgery, and firmly believe this help my pain level. The pain was not a problem. My dr also believes that walking and exercise in general is so helpful.
I had the morphine pump, I may have used it 5 times. You can push it every 8 minutes.
I was walking by Thursday pm. My dr, and nurses suggested I could leave on Friday, because things were going so well...
I was released on Sat am, with a prescrip for Perkoset(sp), Toradol, iron and a stool softener.
I walked plenty at the hospital. 2 min walk, next a 5 min walk each time increasing the length, and rested after each walk.
I drank water like crazy. I passed gas on Friday am, and around 7pm Friday evening heard the loudest noise you can imagine coming from the stomach. My bowels decided to work, and I had a bm. (Praise the lord- I wall SOOOOOO Happy).
My entire hospital experience was predictable and made easy because of people like you.
Take a deep breath, relax before you attempt anything new (I was kind of panicky about the whole business. Take a good attitude (even if you have to borrow it). You will simply glide into this.
As most Systers have said before, Stay ahead of the pain, take your meds. I am at worst very stiff. (no real pain). When I sit for ten mintues, I'm stiff.
My dr gave me the ok to walk as often and for as long as I would like.
And yes, the waiting is the worst. If you can exercise and prepare your body for this. Do all the prep you can before the surgery, and let people pamper you.
This was a simple experience.
Meehan
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:18 AM

Hey girls. Day five after surgery. Shawndale 29 glad to hear you are doing so well. Never heard about the glue to mend the incision. Interesting indeed. My staples are starting to itch already. I get them removed on Monday afternoon and I am a little scared. Not sure how that is going to feel but I will have to let yall know. OhioCatLover, Hope you will continually get better. Sorry things did not go the best at the castle but you are well on your way now. Just don't overdo it and get lots of rest. As for the bowel movement, keep the high fiber going. That is what helped me. Early in the morning yesterday I had 6 prunes and hot black coffee. That did the trick and by afternoon I had a "good" smooth move. They say your digestive system is the last part of you to wake up. Don't worry everything will be alright. Just keep it light with your diet. Eat soups, jello, yogurt, hot cooked veggies, etc. Have a great day everyone....
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:37 AM

Blessedsyd36
Love that expression in your last post..
" I had a good smooth move"
Yes, its a good thing to experience.. Sort of took it for granted before...
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Had my LAVH/BSO on 2/27, home on 2/28. Had incredible pain post-op but have been in the care of a pain clinic (the reason I had this procedure was to help with my chronic pain-another story, another time) and my pain doc was on the phone with the post-op nurse and gave her a long lecture about pain and how to manage mine and by the time I got to my room, they had it under control, thank God! I woke up from anesthesia screaming but drugs are a wonderful thing. I finally forced myself to finish the bowel prep pre-op and had a couple of good movements but doc said post-op that I am really constipated in there. She had to spend 30 min longer doing the surgery than planned as my bladder was really stuck to the uterus and she didn't want to open me up all the way and didn't want to tear it and have to fix it. Glad to report that her extra care and skill saved the bladder. Post-op I had the worst time with the catheter. I have had them several times with other surgeries but have never had such a hard time with them. I just felt like I had to pee so bad all the time and it hurt.....and when they removed it, it really hurt. But I am home now and just trying to take it easy. Had the first bowel movement and screamed through it so now am scared to have another. Don't know if anyone else has this but when I went, there was a tearing, sharp, stabbing pain through from the inside to the back of labia and out the front. Horrible. So now am taking lots and lots of softeners. I want it to just fall out of me next time. I'll deal with the 'normalizing' once my insides heal. I felt better the first day home but yesterday was worse and today feels like yesterday. Don't know if that is normal but that is where I am right now. Will check in again next day or so.
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hystergo
Don't know if anyone else has this but when I went, there was a tearing, sharp, stabbing pain through from the inside to the back of labia and out the front. Horrible. So now am taking lots and lots of softeners. I want it to just fall out of me next time.
I had a lot of pain with my bowel movement this morning, too, and the bad news is that narcotic pain meds can cause constipation, making the matter more difficult and persistent. However, I have a "recipe" I found on this site that I mixed up this morning and am going to try tonight. Mix equal parts 100% bran cereal, prune juice and apple sauce; use a little cinnamon for flavor. Take two Tbsp. at bedtime, and theoretically, your bowels should love you in the morning!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register