Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Feeling Fine

Hi All. Just came home today. Had my surgery on Feb 28th. I was so happy to get it done after learning about the many fibroids, the 26 week uterous, and non stop cycle. I feel just fine. I don't have any pain and am wondering when will it start. I was up walking the next day and had bowl movements, etc.

I too had a roommate that would scream out in a language other than english that kept me on pins and needles. Luckly sometime during the night, they moved her somewhere else.

I don't want to over do it or be over confident but I can manage this. I'll keep you updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Had my TVH on the afternoon of Tues, Feb 26th. Released from the hospital on Thurs evening. I am starting to try to back off the pain meds today (Mon). Pain was never severe - I always told them at the end of my 4 hrs that my pain was a "5." Pain felt like bad menstrual cramping. Got along fine. Just tiny drops of pink after surgery - no bleeding. No bowel movement yet. Still dressing in gowns and jammies - not quite ready for real clothes yet - although I do shower every day and put on makeup and earrings. I really feel for those of you with children at home. My recovery has been easy because my kids are grown and gone and I can pretty much do as I please! Once again, this website has been WONDERFUL!!!!!!!
Best wished and prayers to all of you!
Jane
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Hi all! I had my TAH/BSO on the 27th at 10:00 AM. My surgery had been scheduled for 9:00, but ironically, my doctor was delivering a baby via c-section at that time.

The surgery itself went very well. My doctor was even able to repair my bladder that (unbeknownest to me) was attached to my abdominal wall. Hmm....guess that could be one of the reasons I've had so many infections in recent years. In any respect, I can pee just fine now!

I stayed for two nights in the hospital and came home Friday afternoon. After spending one horribly boring weekend in bed or on the couch, I am feeling a bit better today. Don't worry, I'm still on the couch mostly, but I actually went to sit out in the warm sun yesterday afternoon, and that was HEAVENLY!! The pain is still here pretty much (from my incision), but it's been manageable through 600 mg Motrin for the most part.

The only thing right now is that I'm still grieving over everything. It all happened SO quickly for me. Literally found out about my AIS the day after Christmas, and two months later, everything is gone. Shock isn't quite a strong enough word for it.

I cry right around 6:00 PM every night. I don't know why - nothing will even trigger it. I just promptly start crying and will feel better a short time after. Guess it's the hormones.

Oh well. I hope that the rest of you Princesses are healing nicely!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM

Hi! I had my TAH/BSO Friday morning at 8:30am. All went very well. The Dr was able to remove everything without any problems. The Dr said I had lots of new endo, and she removed as much as she could safely get. My uterus was attached to my colon so she said it was a good thing I didn't wait any longer to have the surgery. I started having hot flashes Friday afternoon, and they put me on the patch Friday night.

Saturday morning (5am) they took the catheter and IV away and I was able to make pee on my own about 10am. They got me out of bed and I walked a few laps around the floor too. My doctor came in at dinnertime and said I could go home! So I only spent one night in the castle!

I feel much better at home, sleeping OK just waiting for that first BM to happen. I think today's the day.... I feel really full! My pain level is not too bad, but I am trying to limit my narcotics to bedtime only. But coughing and laughing really hurts!

Happy recovery to each of you!
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:57 AM

meehan, and others prunes and hot coffee together work like a dream. Today is day six post op...going to get the stitches out...why am I nervous about this??? They look so thick. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:07 AM

Hi Ladies, I had my TVH/BSO Friday (29th) at 8:00 am. Everything went well. The surgery lasted a little under 2 hrs. I don't remember the recovery room at all. I remember waking up in my room with my husband and mom and dad around me. The Dr. said that I was a "good bleeder" and that the fibroids were not as advertised. The largest was about the size of an orange. Much bigger than they were expecting. The hospital staff and the Doctors were great. I stayed two nights. I had my own room. Friday night I was one of two patients in the hospital, Saturday night I was the only one. So, I was really treated like a princess. I don't remember my pain being all that bad, but the nurses told me that it was kinda a "saga" the first night. About 2:00 am Saturday, we finally got a head of it, and I have been pretty good since. Came home yesterday. The 1 hr. car ride wore me out. Plan to shower today and rest. I will check back later. Praying for you all to have a smooth recovery. I have the patch on, and start my HRT today.

~Teri
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:59 AM

Had my Laproscopy on the 29th, drove 4.5 hours home the next day. I did get out twice to walk around. I confirmed my theory that the fleet phosforus sp? is perfect in vegetable broth. I had it down in no time. My doc was super. He found endo and had to remove the left ovary with the uterus. It is now Monday and I am getting up much better and able to move more. I have had pleanty of help with my hubby, mother, and others.
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Just got off the phone with the doctor's office. The path report is clean. There was a small polyp on my cervix, but it was benign. My doc says it may have been contributing to my irregular bleeding.

Last night, I moved from my recliner to the sofa. I slept pretty comfortably on my left side on the sofa, but when I turned over to my right side, the back of the sofa was behind me, so I couldn't "push" myself off of it and had a devil of a time standing up! Lol. So tonight, I'm going to gather as many pillows as I can, and try sleeping in my bed with my husband! I am only allowed to walk stairs once a day at this point, so I didn't go upstairs to shower this morning. I will save my "one trip" for bedtime, and shower before I get into bed!

My dh is going to be out of town all day tomorrow, and tomorrow is also the day my doc wants to step me down from Percoset to Darvocet (Darvocet's not as strong). I only have enough Percoset to last me until tomorrow afternoon. I told her (my doc) that my only concern about this is that, since Percoset cannot be phoned in to the pharmacy, if the Darvocet is not strong enough, I won't have my dh here to run to her office to get me a new 'script. So she's writing me a 'script for two more days' worth (I think) and dh is going to run out to her office when he's done lunch, and get it. That way, if I try the Darvocet tomorrow, and it's not strong enough, I'll have more Percoset on hand, too. I'm also taking prescription strength Naproxen Sodium (Aleve), twice a day, and the combo is pretty effective so far at keeping the pain under control.

I went with my dh to the laundromat this morning (our dryer died, so we wash clothes at home then dry them at the laundromat), then to Wal Mart for more support underwear for me, and for fish sticks for him to fix for dinner. Now I'm tired! Lol. I think I'll go relax in my recliner, and maybe nap a little bit.
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Keeping positive helps

Yes this is day 7 for me and have now had 2 sleeps at home. I am a single lady and have found keeping positive and looking out for the people who look out for me has been helpful. The nurses didnt want me to go cause I seemed a more pleasant patient than others, and honestly all the people who helped me and all the loved ones not able to be close who kept in touch, ALL of them have their own crosses to bare and I recon it helps to keep that in mind. IN FACT as I think of it the best helper for me, has been ME. At 54 its nice to feel a bit of maturity to go with this challenge and to feel the strength of my mind and strategies in relation to those 'feelings' that are inevitable. My daughter asked if i was sad about my hysto, and for me my feelings emerged about day 4 i.e. extreme gratitude.

2 awesome girlfriends picked me up and look me home carting my 'grannie' kit of bath seat etc with us. Major emotion no 2 was in hearing my girlfriends relay to me how grateful they have been to me for the care and time Ive given them in the past, therefore they have had no hesitation in helping me out.

Certainly a learning and new experience for me in this, is that there is a very delicate balance between helping others and being helped. Its reciprocol, its like a bank balance that you make deposits into and then withdrawals.

Ive been doing walking and ventured outside yesterday to walk to the first corner of the street. Today i will build it up and go further. My worst fear in all this was loosing confidence and I have to constantly remind myself that this op is an interlude and I am in the process of not only returning to my normal life, but can expect to enjoy life to a higher standard.

In the meantime, 'the standard of converstation' with friends is gradually graduating from pooing, farting, sore factor, etc and getting my usual 'me' back.

Im sure that my hister'me' is a wonderful character building experience in disguise as I grasp glimpses of the wealth that this experience is contributing to my life.

Ever optomistic, thats me.

Hey i must look like ****, havent had a shower yet. The home help came yesterday to help me get my 'leg over' my bath to shower (using the seat) and i havent decided if Ill brave it and go solo or wash and wait till she comes again tomorrow.

Then I shall look wistfully out the window and ponder the attack of walking to 2 corners today!!!
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Hi, all:

It's nice to be posting from the "other" side. Yippee!!! Surgery was Friday. I had it done with the DaVinci robot. It went well. Uterus (with BIG fibroids) is gone. I kept my cervix and ovaries.

The robo-surgery left me with no real incisions, just 4 big pokes and some bruises. My abdomen looks like somebody's been playing tic tac toe with a fireplace poker, but the doc says that is normal. Swelling is minimal. Surgery was at 1:30 on Friday and I came home on Saturday night. Post op nausea was minimal and taken care of with Zofran. I never did have any post-op vomiting, probably thanks to the Zofran. For pain, I've been alternating Vicodin with Motrin and I have already cut back to 1/2 doses of Vicodin and 2/3 doses of Motrin. I'm not in any pain right now at all.

Sunday was a pretty good day. Today has been fine. I made breakfast, made coffee, took a shower and washed my hair. My DH has been pampering me all day, but he goes back to work tomorrow. I worked a sudoku puzzle to prove to myself that my brain & logic functions still work.

My bladder feels LOTS better without the fibroids mashing on it. Wow! The catheter (which I totally dreaded) turned out to be no big deal.

I'm sleeping on the living room sofa bed. Our bedroom has a huge king size water bed that I found I can get into but not OUT of. The sofa bed is working out just fine as I can easily get up and down from that.

My advice: be relaxed, think positive, breathe, pray, and affirm that you deeply and completely accept yourself. It'll be over before you know it and you'll be back on road to good health. My prayers are with you all and I thank you for your support, encouragement and collective knowledge during my "waiting" period. Yep, it's definitely the hardest part! Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register