Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 31 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Hi Everyone!
I'm 3 weeks post-op today. Had a good day. Actually went shopping for Easter for a little while and came home very tired, but still feeling like doing a little cooking for a family gathering tomorrow. Will probably go to bed early so I can enjoy being with extended family tomorrow.

OK, I have a strange question. We removed my steri-strips and apparently when the nurse put them on in the hospital, she pulled my skin a little tight and now there are these "wart" looking like pieces of skin on each end of my incision. Kind of like skin tags. Do you think these will go away eventually. They aren't that big - about the size of a pencil eraser - but still look ugly.

Let me know what you think. Hope you all have a blessed Easter and get to spend time away from the house with friends and family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Two steps back

Everyone was certainly not kidding when they said three steps forward and two steps back! I've been completely off all pain meds for about a week and a half now ... and now I'm back on the 800 mg ibuprofen twice a day.

About feeling frisky ... yes yes yes! I'm already telling my wonderful boyfriend to "rest up" because when I get the all clear from the doc, I just may attack him! Sorry if TMI there, but ya know...

Hey, here's a question. Is anyone else having the devil's own hard time sleeping? I sleep wonderfully well one night, and the next I literally don't sleep until daybreak. My GP gave me a sample of Lunesta, but that knocked me flat for more than 24 hours, so I won't be taking that again. I'm a night owl anyway, so it's usually at least midnight before I try to sleep. Any suggestions? I need serious help here.
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM

Hello out there!!

Just thought since people were mentioning how many weeks post op....I am 4 weeks today!! And I actually woke up and spent most of the day almost feeling normal again. I cooked my Easter meal today and dessert and missed out on my nap...but am still feeling fine!!! Looking forward as I am sure everyone is to feeling this way everyday...

Take care hope everyone is having a good night.

Elizabeth -46
TVH-still have ovaries 2/22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 08:21 PM
3 weeks ago today

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago today. I was having my uterus/cervix removed (prolapsed uterus), having my bladder/rectum/urethra fixed also. My doctor was using a new mesh material made out of polypropylene. When he went to do the rectum fix, the mesh material got twisted. So the procedure became much longer, he said it would have caused more damage to pull it out and start over, so he prayed through the whole thing with the company rep there. He said they had never had that happen before. Well, I was in surgery for 4 hours, lost a lot of blood. I have no memory of the day of surgery, which was on the 29th. Saturday, I was not doing very well, and had to have a blood transfusion. Then I had a very hard time going to the bathroom. They gave me a diuretic to encourage me to pee. That was terrible. My bladder filled up and became distended and then had to have the catheter put back in. The drugs they gave me really messed with my head. I had high blood pressure, at one point 185/100! I had the surgery in a town 2 hours away, so I spent the first night in a motel with the catheter, went to the doctors office the next morning and they sent me home with self catheters. I only had to use it once. The bowel pain was so intense, due to the trauma from the messed up mesh. Today was the first day I had a BM without intense pain.

I was really feeling depressed about going through with this whole thing. Then my Dr. called me to tell me about the lab report on my cervix/uterus. It turned out I had a very rare form of cancer that a regular pap would never have detected. I had just had a normal pap 4 weeks ago. Said, they would probably never have detected it until it was too late. So That made me feel better.

My biggest problems now seem to be emotional. I am depressed, cry alot. I don't understand really what has happened to my body. I feel stupid.

I kept my ovaries, but I want to know what happens now. So you ovulate? have cycles, but don't bleed? What happens to the eggs? I had this vision of the eggs moving down the fallopian tubes and hitting a blank wall, freaking out.

Now I have a bladder infection, am on a antibiotic. If I take a pain med, I get really sick to my stomach. I am looking forward to getting to week 4, it's got to get better. Thanks for the opportunity to get this out.
Unread 03-21-2008, 08:30 PM

Wow..you have been through so much! I can understand your tears and the emotional up and down. In so many ways it really is a strange thing that happens. You go through so much before hand physically and emotionally, and then so much with the doc visits etc...then the operation and then nothing. It is like all of a sudden when you need to understand all that is going on with your body, you are left to your own imagination and fears and lack of knowledge about what should be happening when. Thank goodness for this site where we can all learn from eachother and feel that there is a listening ear that at least understands what we are going through....take care of yourself Maia...hopefully things will get easier for you...

Elizabeth
Unread 03-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Maia, I am so sorry for all of your complications. I will be praying for your healthy recovery. Take care.
Unread 03-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia
My biggest problems now seem to be emotional. I am depressed, cry alot. I don't understand really what has happened to my body. I feel stupid.

I kept my ovaries, but I want to know what happens now. So you ovulate? have cycles, but don't bleed? What happens to the eggs? I had this vision of the eggs moving down the fallopian tubes and hitting a blank wall, freaking out.
Maia: Welcome to our wonderful forum. You will find a tremendous amount of love and support here. Although we don't all have the same post-op experiences, we do understand how difficult the recovery process can be. Some of us experience steady progress, others feel as though they are taking one step forward and two steps back.

I am so deeply sorry for all you have had to endure. Don't ever feel stupid. Not all of us were given the appropriate information to understand what our bodies would go through post-op. That's on your doctor, not on you. I would suggest that you talk with your doctor about the depression you are experiencing. I, too, still have my ovaries, but have been fortunate enough not to have to deal with depression. I do, however, have lots of experience with depression, and have been taking anti-depressants for over 10 years. What a Godsend they are!

My doctor informed me that once the uterus is removed, but the ovaries remain, we still ovulate, but the eggs are simply absorbed into the body. My period would have started tomorrow, so I'm experiencing my usual PMS symptoms (bloating, food cravings, etc.) However, I've heard from others who have also kept their ovaries that they no longer experience PMS symtoms. Lucky them! Once again, though, we are all a little different.

BIG s,
Unread 03-21-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighofrelief
Just thought since people were mentioning how many weeks post op....I am 4 weeks today!! And I actually woke up and spent most of the day almost feeling normal again. I cooked my Easter meal today and dessert and missed out on my nap...but am still feeling fine!!! Looking forward as I am sure everyone is to feeling this way everyday...
Congratulations Elizabeth! So glad you are almost feeling normal. There's actually hope for the rest of us.
Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll keep getting what you are getting!

s,
Unread 03-22-2008, 12:20 AM

Wow! Thanks ladies, I didn't expect to get responses, or at least that fast. They made me cry out of comfort, just to know I am not alone. God Bless you all. Hey I never figured there was more women out there that had their surgery on leap day! I guess we only will have our anniversary every four years! :-) Thanks again. I feel blessed.
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Still painful

Hi ladies. It's so good to have found this site. I had vaginal hysterectomy three weeks and five days ago. Still find walking/standing as painful as before surgery and am trying hard to stay positive. Had enterocele, and endo deposits on rectum - after first week had horrible pain when needed to empty my bowels, but consultant said it might be adhesion. He internally scanned me and I don't know if it dislodged something, but has been far better since. But I still have the horrible pelvic pain and lower back pain as before surgery that stops me from doing hardly anything for more than a few minutes. It's only relieved by sitting down, but not upright, or lying down. Also, I seem to feel constantly aware of what feels like my rectum, which is rather disconcerting. Does anyone know if this is normal? Have had pelvic floor repairs (which is probably obvious) and trying hard not to slide into depression!!

Happy recovery for all you out there having been through this rather big deal...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register