Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedsyd36
prunes and hot coffee together work like a dream. going to get the stitches out...
Blessed Sharon:

Hmmm. I like prunes and I LOVE hot coffee. THAT sounds like a winning combo. I will give it a try.

Re: the stitches. I don't have them. I have GLUE. Weird, huh? When it comes time to get your stitches out, try this: thank them for their service to your body. Tell them they did what you needed them to do and then "mentally" & "physically" release them. I practiced this process with the catheter (which I was deathly afraid of) and it worked well for me.

Thanks for the prune/coffee tip. I wish you quick stitch removal and even quicker healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Hello "Other Side" Sisters!
Had my TAH as scheduled on Tuesday 2/26. The doc ended up taking one of my ovaries but leaving my cervix. The pain was pretty intense the first day, luckily I slept most of it.
I ended up in a room that used to be private, and they mashed another bed in there and I ended up with the roommate from Hell!
The POOR girl had an elective bladder lift and only thought about getting her $500 (deductible's) worth from the hospital. Demanding 2-3 meals, snacks at all hours, phone calls and tv blaring at all hours. Thankfully she was only there one night!!!
Came home Thursday pm. Still sleeping alot and getting around slowly. Not getting the help and support I need from DH, but plugging through.
I MADE IT!!!! ...thanks to all of you!
I am grateful for this site, and all my new found sisters.
Karen
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Post-op day 5 and trying to convince myself to stop expecting so much. Just can't get past the whole feeling lazy thing for doing nothing all day. Started eating solids for the first time today. My throat was so sore from the tube they use to breathe for you during surgery. My arms are still pretty sore and bruised from the IV/lab torture. I am a very difficult start and nobody ever seems to want to believe that until everyone in the entire facility has tried to stick me. It took the anesthesiologist a number of tries but he finally got it in my wrist which hurts like the dickens.

I did want to pass along a neat trick my daughter did for me. She had to return home yesterday so I am missing all her great assistance. Anyway, this is fantastic (I thought). So she put water in a pot and heated it pretty warm/hot and then put three rags in it and soaked them. Then she took them out with tongs and put them in the sink to drain a bit and then put them in a large zipper type plastic bag and zipped it up, wrapped it in a towel and laid it on my belly. AAhhhhh, wonderful. The heat is so nice and the weight is just right on my belly. I might actually go try to make one myself now that I've talked about it. And maybe it will help with my gas/bladder pains. I actually had to run water in the sink today to get myself to pee and still haven't had another bowel movement despite lots and lots of softeners and Gas-X which I don't know if it is helping or not. Don't like prunes so can't do that but love coffee so will try that. Made my post-op appt with my doc today and she is going to give me my pics then. She said she made lots of them for me. Okay, off to do my heated belly pillow! Thanks for being here and letting me express all of this. Nobody else would really get it I don't think and so I am so grateful for this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first time into Hyster-world.

I had my TVH on Friday Feb 29th. I was home after lunch the next day. AMAZING! The waiting was definately the worst part and if it weren't for an unbelievable backache, I would say the whole experience wasn't much different than the hell I've already been in for years. Even the endometrial ablation I had last summer seemed far worse as far as recovery goes....Perhaps the endorphins from knowing it's all over are keeping me sane!

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else had backache and if so, if they knew what it was from and how to relieve it? One of the nurses said it may have been from the way I was on the operating table, but now 3 days later I find that hard to believe. Truth be told, I find myself questioning if the surgery was really done...no bleeding, no external stitches (obviously), ambulatory to the bathroom without any trouble and no issues with bladder or bowels. WEIRD. I had expected the worst with all the warnings about this "major" surgery and I can't help but think that if this is the worst that it gets then I was freaking out for nothing. Seriously, is there pain? Sure. Am I sleep deprived? You bet. Yet it feels like a new beginning that will be every bit worth this temporary condition.

I wish everyone luck who is still waiting. May you read this encouraging message and find some peace knowing that you may just surprise everyone (including yourself) with how smoothly things go.
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM

Hello again!

My surgery was last Wednesday, 2/27. From reading here, I'm realizing that I've had it pretty lucky. My surgery was Wednesday, I was home Friday, and had a good, fairly pain-free BM Sunday afternoon. I'm still dealing with the gas pain, and my incision site still pains me. But otherwise, things are good.

I made the appointment to get my staples out for Thursday morning, and that scares me. The staples look yucky -- not infected or anything, I don't think, but the holes are starting to look a little red. Down by the bottom of the incision, near my pubic bone, there is a little more discharge than I'd like. I really hope it's not infected. I shower daily and while I don't let the shower beat on it directly, I let water run down the incision. I make sure it's completely dry before I cover it with the pad and the belly binder. At this point, I don't like being without the belly binder because I'm a big girl and it feels like my insides are falling out when I'm walking and the belly bounces with it, like it usually does.

I'm torn about getting the staples out. I've heard that I'll feel better without them, but I'm afraid that gravity will work against me because of the size of my belly in general.

I'm still taking the 800mg ibuprofen and the lortabs/hydrocodone. I'd like to wean myself off the narcotic, but I have to remember that I'm only five days out from surgery and if it hurts, I am allowed to medicate it. If I can make it tomorrow to only take the hydrocodone at night, I'll feel better in general. I tried that today, but early in the evening I was having some pretty impressive pain and took the hydrocodone early.

I think the TAH was one of the best things I've done for myself, even with the pain and getting bored being stuck at home. I'd do it all over again.
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Pain meds

bym1971
"[I'm still taking the 800mg ibuprofen and the lortabs/hydrocodone. I'd like to wean myself off the narcotic, but I have to remember that I'm only five days out from surgery and if it hurts, I am allowed to medicate it.]"

Hi,

Just wanted to encourage you to not rush off your pain meds. You do not need to be superhero here and you will not get addicted. You have pain, you have pain meds, use them. If you don't and get into pain and then your pain gets severe to the point you can't stand it and then you take your meds, you get behind and it is very difficult to get back in control. I think you are absolutely right when you say "....if it hurts, I am allowed to medicate it." You are. Remember, especially with pain, everyone is different and some come off meds faster than others. The American Nurses Association says the definition of pain is "whatever the patient says it is". Thank God we live in a day and age that we have these meds to assist us. A diabetic is not ashamed of taking insulin to manage their body's needs, you should not worry about taking narcotics for your body's needs. Sorry this is long but I am passionate about this issue (obviously)! Take care of yourself, we are all in this together!
Unread 03-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Finally feel like posting

I am feeling up to posting. I had my surgery on Wed., Feb. 27th. After 2 horrible nights in the hospital my doc let me go home Fri. Night. It was so nice to be in my own bed. On Thurs. night in the hospital I was scared I was dying and slept in a chair all night. Both my arms and hands swelled, my oxygen sat. was in the low 80's and my blood pressure was low, and they didn't call a doctor. I must have just been having a reaction to the surgery, but am fine now, other than the pain. I was more painful than I anticipated! Got my staples out today, it is much better now. Still feeling kinda weak, but each day it gets a little better
Unread 03-04-2008, 06:46 AM

I slept in my bed last night for the first time since the surgery. I was sound asleep at 10:30PM, having propped myself and wedged myself and arranged myself, with all kinds of pillows! When the phone rang! Ugh. Who in the world is calling at this time of night?? It was my oldest daughter, who has always been a "handful". Anyway, I tried to turn over to hang the phone up, and being half asleep, I tried to turn over like I always do (not using my elbows for support, moving slow, etc. like I'm supposed to) and darned if I didn't pull something in my left side! Hurt like hell! But I had taken 550mg of naproxen just a couple of hours before, and thought, well, I'll just try to go back to sleep, and then it won't matter, and hopefully, it'll be better by morning". Well, I did go back to sleep. Slept pretty well, actually. Except for getting up a couple of times to pee, I slept until my alarm went off at 7AM. But when I got up at 7AM, that spot still hurt a lot. So I put on my robe and went downstairs as quickly as I could (which isn't very quick!) and took a full dose of Percoset. Ahhhh. Relief. A half-hour later, I asked my dh to get me some breakfast, and he said "How about a pancake and a sausage patty?" and I said "How about three pancakes and two sausage patties?" He said he didn't think I'd be so hungry when I was in so much pain. I said "Well, I was in pain, but there's no pain now! Percoset is lovely stuff!" He laughed and fixed me my pancakes and sausages!
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the comment about the pain meds - I have shifted down to 1/2 Lortab at longer stretches and was feeling kinda bad about it (originally 1 every 4-5 hrs). Not in pain really, just uncomfortable.
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Speaking of pain, I've stopped taking percocet(sp). My pain level is a 1 and this point. When I do feel pain its bm or gas related. Percoset in combination with Toradol makes me way passed loopy.. I hate that way passed Loopy feeling.
On a another note, I walked half a mile yesterday. (with dr. encouragement) I'm going to walk a litle further today. I let know you know if I've crossed the line.
Be well..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register