Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 43 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Sorry Dee and Tahireh are feeling so crummy with bladder and kidney problems. Have either of you been drinking cranberry juice, I've been forcing myself to drink it since before the surgery when I heard it can prevent and maybe help clear up bacteria in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Hi everyone, I made it to my 4 week anniversary yesterday. Went back for my 2nd post-op visit today..... I'm still having quite a bit of pain at this juncture. Usually, I make it through the first part of the day fine and then the pain breaks through. Take it easy everyone and be careful with your activities, you don't want to spring a hernia in your incision site. I'm on very light duty....I've been read the riot act by my surgeon, " For 8 weeks do not pick up anything heavier than a light handbag or your cell phone."
So don't be hard on yourselves, give your body the time it needs to recover. The key word I've discovered is: PATIENCE.
Unread 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM

I've come to appreciate it when my belly swells. I think its cute, something like a little bell that says, "You've done too much"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM

I have to say, I am a bit bothered about the fact that ladies here seem to have been told that they aren't to bath for a while. On my info leaving hosp it just said I shouldn't use anything in the bath because of infection (i.e. bubble bath), so I had a bath the night I left hosp. I've had at least one daily ever since, often two.

Went to a friend's leaving do this afternoon, which involved just sitting around drinking water and a glass of wine. Had a real laugh, which was great, and there were caterers so had a nice meal. Had taken DD5 and her little friend so they could swim. There were lots of kids there. Had done a little shopping in the morning but was sitting down all of afternoon but still found, when I got home at 7.30pm that I was EXHAUSTED. However, DD5 had little friend sleeping over so still had to shower them both and give them supper and get them to bed. Collapsed into a chair and didn't think I would ever move again...

It is so easy to overdo it. Be careful ladies...
Unread 03-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLeeanne
Sorry Dee and Tahireh are feeling so crummy with bladder and kidney problems. Have either of you been drinking cranberry juice, I've been forcing myself to drink it since before the surgery when I heard it can prevent and maybe help clear up bacteria in there.
I take cranberry extract caplets daily. I got my first kidney stone at 15YO, and have had a more or less steady stream of them ever since. It's definitely getting worse, though, because it's a vicious cycle. I have a stone, I get it removed (or pass it) which causes scar tissue to form in the urinary tract, which gives bacteria a good foot-hold, which causes infection. . .lather, rinse, repeat. I've probably had three dozen stones over the years, and more than a dozen procedures to remove them. My right kidney has atrophied considerably, and only functions at about 15%. I will probably end up having it removed in a few years. My left kidney is still pretty good, and functions at about 85%.

Kidney stones run in my family, three of my four sisters have had them. But I get more of them than anyone else. I've had I-don't-know-how-many urologists over the years, as well as nephrologists, and none of them have really been able to do anything to keep me from growing stones. It just seems to be the way my body is made.

Oh, well. If I have to have a chronic health condition, there are certainly worse things that could be wrong with me!
Unread 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahireh
I've lost 150lbs since my last abdominal surgery, and it sure does make recovery easier!
Wow, that's amazing! Congratulations tahireh!!!
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:02 PM

I have not been drinking the cranberry juice, but my nurse friend told me today that I should be so I'm going to give it a try. Has anyone else been having the bladder spasms this far into recovery? My dr. gave me the med that he referred to as an "aspirin" for my bladder and turns the urine dark orange. Guess this will get me through the weekend until I see him on Tuesday for my post-op visit.

I enjoyed being out and getting some pampering at the salon. I can't believe though with what little I did - now I'm having pain. Guess just getting in and out of the car does more than you think.

I've also been trying to not have to take pain medicine at bed time but have found that I can't get comfortable and relax without it. That's the only time of day that I'm needing it. I only have one left so I may not sleep much this weekend.

Take care ladies!
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:08 PM

ditto the congrats, tahireh! that is truly amazing (and I have to ask, have the cranberry caplets protected you from UTIs?)

Re baths, onward - I think we all get different instructions about that because there are so many different ways they close our incisions (glue, staples, stitches, steri-strips, etc) and surgeons have so many idiosyncracies about what they think heals best. Anyway, I was told quick showers were fine but no soaking in a tub at all until got an OK several weeks post-op.
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM

has anyone talked to their doc yet about starting physical therapy?

even though I've been doing well and (with one whopping exception) have been pretty much pain-free for weeks, my surgeon says not until May 1

I have to say I'm a little disappointed to wait so long - I guess I was hoping everything would be back to normal sooner than that
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
4 Weeks Post-Op

Good afternoon girls:

I'm 4 weeks post-op today, and wishing I was feeling better than I am. I'm still dealing with abdominal and lower back cramping.

DH took the day off from work for some R&R. He just returned from taking our dog to the groomer, which is usually my job. I'm supposed to get a urine test done (due to cloudy urine), but don't seem to have the energy to get myself dressed and down to the lab. My urine seems to be clearing up, so I may wait until next week and see if it continues to improve.

DH's birthday is tomorrow, so we're heading to my mom's for a wonderful homecooked meal and birthday cake. My mom makes fabulous meals, and no one ever leaves the table hungry.

DH is laying next to me and occasionally reading over my shoulder. He says we have very colorful conversations, talking about kidney stones, urine, vaginal bleeding, etc. He wonders why we can't just talk about the weather. According to my DH, this is a typical male dialogue -- 1st man "Dude!" 2nd man "Dude!" 1st man "Duuuuuuuuude!" 2nd man "Later dude!" This is an entire male conversation. OMG, I'm hurting from laughing. Never a dull moment in our household.

Rest of the day will be pretty much spent doing a whole lota nothing. Anyone care to join me?

Happy healing!

s,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register