Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Jennifer in CT TAH/BSO 3/3/08

I had my TAH/BSO on Monday, March 3rd, 2008.

Well, I am home after a two day stay at the hospital. My beloved cat died on Saturday and that devastated me emotionally. I was not at all worried or scared about my surgery after that. I frankly didn't care about anything.

I arrived at the hospital at my 7:15am check in time with my mom at my side. I got taken back fairly quickly. They gave me my gown, socks and I met with both my surgeon and anesthesiologist. I got my IV put in and was given something to 'relax' me...though it didn't seem to affect me at all.

Was wheeled in to Operating Room and I seemed to be in there conscious forEVER...apparently the tube on my blood pressure cuff was malfunctioning and so instead of sedating me and THEN fixing it, I got to lay there while people were fixing that and just think. Then they were ready and they gave me the gas to breathe in. Next I remember, I was in recovery, but very quickly brought to my room. The worst of it was the moving from the stretcher to the bed. I was shown my morphine pump and the call bell. For some reason throughout the night I kept forgetting to press the pump.

I was supposed to have everything removed but apparently there were complications. My uterus was adhered to my bowel so I had everything out except the cervix. I need to talk to him further on the details because I was too drugged up to remember all the answers he gave me.

My hospital stay was awful due to the fact that I developed a severe migraine which would not respond to ANYthing. It wasn't until yesterday early afternoon that it finally subsided. They had me up and walking early the morning after surgery and away with the morphine pump. I was on percoset and stool softeners. I took a shower yesterday morning at the hospital, though I didn't really feel ready. I had to be put on blood thinners due to my predisposition to blood clots. I also found myself really itchy all over from the pain meds. They gave me benadryl for that.

Anyway, I was so glad to go home, of course, walking in to the empty apartment immediately reminded me of my tremendous loss. My heart is so broken. I had a few crying spells last night and today.

Today, my friend Carol stopped by and hung out while I took a shower, just in case I needed help. And my sister brought the twins (who are 8 month beautiful girls) down to visit along with a lasagna she made for me.

I've known I've had some sleeping issues....along the lines of sleep apnea....but haven't had any studies or exams about it. My oxygen saturation levels would drop very, very low at night while sleeping in the hospital, so I was on oxygen during sleep. Apparently it is more serious than I thought and today was put on oxygen for night time on an unlimited basis until we can figure out the issue.

I'm relieved about that part because I wake up feeling so unrested and often with bad headaches.

My incision pain is only intense when I am getting into or out of bed or sitting down/getting up.

I'm on two antibiotics: Clindamycin and Ofloxacin. And the Percoset. I will call and set up my post op appt tomorrow. I don't have staples. Just internal stitches. I'm glad about no staples...I've never had them before and the idea of them freaked me out.

I'm terribly, terribly depressed about the loss of my cat. Nothing can take away that pain. I will consider another cat when I am feeling better, and I will love him/her but it will never take her place.

I had one small bowel movement in the hospital (one tiny bout of diarrhea, and that was on the 3rd....nothing since, and it is the 6th) I'm hoping something will happen soon.

I had a catheter, which was removed in the hospital. But then I wasn't able to pee, so they put it back in (OW) and then I begged and begged for them to take it out. Finally I started peeing on my own, thank GOD! But it hurts when I pee, like a dull ache, which is a little like when I had a bladder infection, but I think it's just from the presence of the catheter. Of course if it worsens or changes I will talk to the doc right away.

I thought I would be in the hospital a LOT longer and I thought I'd be in much more pain. I'm glad both things were not the case! I do have an abdominal binder but I will only use it if I have to do a lot of walking or if I go out. Otherwise it's too bulky and I don't want to affect swelling.

I hope you are all doing well. Thank you for all the support. This sight is truly amazing and has helped me in countless ways through this process. I will update again soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Jennifer, I am truly sorry for your loss. My heart just aches for you. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Jennifer,
I am so very sorry about the loss of you beloved kitty. Pets can bring so much joy and comfort into our lives. My heart goes out to you in your time of grief.
It sounds like, on a positive note, that your recovery is going well. I hope things continue to go smoothly for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Hello ladies:

This is my first post. Glad to see there is so much support out there. What a great website!!

Had my surgery on Friday, 2/29 at 8:00 a.m. Hubby drove me to hospital for an arrival time of 6:00 a.m. Surgery took 1 hour and 45 minutes for a TVH and vaginal suspension. All went well in pre-op until nurse had trouble finding a vein in my left hand. She was slapping my hand and asking me to flex my hand (hard to do with long nails). The whole process for so drawn out that I had a panic attack. Something about veins really gets to me. It's not the needle, but the needle going into a vein. I was given something to relax me. I felt really ridiculous as I thought I was holding it together so well. Then my doctor came in, the anesthesiologist, a nurse, and all pretty much asked me the same questions. I watched as MY medical team congregated in the hall waiting for me to be ready for "my procedure." I was wheeled into the operating room, and that's all I remember.

Next thing I know I'm in the recovery room and in pain. I was asking the nurses what was taking them so long to help me with the pain. I'm sure they were working as fast as they could, but my perception was off and it felt like they were working in slow motion.

Arrived in my private room about 11:00 a.m. and slept on and off most of the day. Had a morphine drip which caused itching and very light sleep with short story dreams. I told my husband my dreams were like commercials.

On Saturday, 3/1 at 3 a.m., I was taken off the morphine and given Vicodin and Motrin orally. At 6 a.m., a lab tech came in to take blood, poked me once in my hand and once in the crook of my arm, with no success. Unfortunately, this resulted in my second anxiety attack. When my doctor arrived shortly thereafter, I was in tears. I told her I was having a terrible morning and didn't understand why I was so emotional. She very gently told me that I was being extremely hard on myself. All the build-up to the surgery was finally catching up to me. She removed my vaginal packing and asked the nurse to remove my catheter. Most of Saturday was spent sleeping. The nurses were wonderful and left me alone. The Vicodin and Motrin were enough to keep my pain at bay and allow me to sleep soundly.

My doctor visited me again on Sunday a.m., 3/2 and I was discharged at noon. My hubby drove me home and I slept the rest of the day.

Monday, 3/3 was spent sleeping.

Tuesday, 3/4 I got up and turned on the TV for the first time since before the surgery. I was so out of it in the hospital that I couldn't watch TV or read.

Wednesday, 3/5 was better than Tuesday. I was awake more of the day, continuing to take my pain meds as prescribed. I started wondering if it was time to cut back on the pain meds.

Thursday, 3/6. When I woke this morning, it had been 15 hours since my last Vicodin or Motrin. Big mistake! I was in a sufficient amount of pain. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment. I immediately started taking the meds and have managed to stay up and awake all day. Been dealing with constipation though. Had a BM yesterday, but didn't want to strain too much. I'm taking Citracel and a stool softener, but it's still difficult. I had another BM today, which was much easier to pass. I'm told the pain meds can cause constipation.

By about 4:00 p.m. today, I had had enough TV. I came upstairs to write in my journal and listen to an audiobook. I'm bored. Would really like to get back to doing my life. I have very high expectations of myself and need to take the time to recover.

Will check in later. I'm so glad this website is available.
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Jennifer:

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious kitty. I have three of my own and don't know what I will do when they are gone.

When you are ready, I'm sure there is another little angel waiting to find his/her way into your heart.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Hi ladies,

Had my 1st post op visit with the Dr. today and She said I was doing great & everything looked good.

My path result showed that they had found several huge polyps & the built up lining in addition to the beginning stages of Adenomyosis which was the result of the enlarged uterus. The only surprise was the polyps, which we didn’t know were there but are gone for good now so all is well. They did remove several cyst off my ovaries but, that is expected with my PCOS.

She said something about using the ligaments to help better support my bladder. Which sounds good to me cause I already have that “laugh and tinkle” problem & was so worried about it getting worse. I got to see pictures which was really cool.

No Work or Sex for at least 3 more weeks from next Monday, she told DH that the sex part wasn’t so much because she was afraid of damaging something as she was wanting to make sure that it was comfortable for me. I am finally starting to ((POOP)) semi normal again with just a little laxative help. So, over all, I am doing good except for hurting a little in the evening after going all day and being tired.

I wish you all fast Healing and lots of Pampering!!
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:10 AM
In sympathy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalwrists74
I had my TAH/BSO on Monday, March 3rd, 2008. Well, I am home after a two day stay at the hospital. My beloved cat died on Saturday and that devastated me emotionally. I was not at all worried or scared about my surgery after that. I frankly didn't care about anything.
Jennifer:

I am truly sorry to hear about the loss of your precious kitty. I wish you peace and healing -- both emotionally and physically.
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:23 AM

myra2008...

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts. I've seen some others talking about being itchy and such due to pain meds and then given Benadryl. I'm not on any meds anymore - I know, I'm incredibly lucky by the sounds of some who are still suffering - so it can't be that. Those post op panties were icky. Maybe my skin just reacted. I'll wait the weekend and re-evaluate. I hate to bug my dr. about red spots when he is so busy.
Unread 03-07-2008, 09:48 AM
One Week Since Surgery

Hi everyone:'

It's been a week since my surgery. Frankly, I was hoping I'd be experiencing less pain by now.

I woke this morning with what felt like severe menstrual cramps. I took a Vicodin to see if it would ease some of the discomfort. Will take a Motrin as soon as I eat.

I envy those of you able to get off the meds so soon. I realize everyone heals at a different pace, but I'm impatient.

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvr5
Hi everyone:'

It's been a week since my surgery. Frankly, I was hoping I'd be experiencing less pain by now.

I woke this morning with what felt like severe menstrual cramps. I took a Vicodin to see if it would ease some of the discomfort. Will take a Motrin as soon as I eat.

I envy those of you able to get off the meds so soon. I realize everyone heals at a different pace, but I'm impatient.

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.
After reading your first post Karen, I realized that our surgery experience so far was almost parallel. From the same time of day to our hospital stay. I don't remember much about last Friday. My husband tells me I was in a great deal of pain though. I do remember overwhelming relief when we finally got ahead of it.

Anyway, I feel like you do this morning. My husband got home from a business trip last night, and I so wanted to show him how well I was doing. But, this morning, I am back on pain meds. and bummed

Oh well, I guess I need to be less hard on myself.

Have a good recovery day today ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register