Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

Unread 03-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Surgery 2/28

Hi all,
Allthough I joined before my surgery on 2/28 this is the first time I am posting. The surgery went better than I ever expected and I am actually feeling much better than I ever dreamed. However, one side of my incision, I had a vertical, seems very swollen and much more tender than the other side. Has anyone else experienced this? I had the surgery on Thursday and did not go home until Sunday AM as my blood pressure went out of whack. 200/100 on Sat. afternoon so my doctor gave me something to get it down. Don't normallly have high blood pressure. I am on Motrin 400 m for the pain. I also have Percet, but refuse to take them. The Motrin seems to be doing it for me. The swelling and pressure are my chief complaint. Is this normal? Looking forward to hearing if anyone has experienced this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 25-Mar 03,2008

I have the same thing. My left side (bikini cut incision) is more swollen and tender than the other since right after the surgery. My doctor said she doesn't understand why one side is more tender than the other (surgery wise, nothing was different).

There is a post about burning and tearing on left side of abdomen. It seems that it is quite common.

Good luck and happy healing!
Unread 03-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Hay ladies ... havent quite got the hang of the rhyme or reason behind these threads yet and find it hard to connect related comments or how to connect my own contributions ... but in the field of techknowledge I confess to being a little slow until I know ... hey that had a good ring to it eh. This is me on my 12th day, it already seems to some extent history. I have my 6wk check up appt on april 8th although told the boss Id be back april 7th. I was so glad i put it out there to my girlfriends and workmates to visit me and gave a suggested list of things that i would appreciate as my family is in the south island. HOWEVER, mental note ... no-one seems to get that I am stuck in the house with only a taxi to get me from a - b, while people 'pop in' and then leave sooooo independently. AND, while i did say i would be looking forward to hearing how its all going for them some people go on an on about their own probs and im thinkin ... wow, are they uncomfortable with my predicament? wassup with that? so i listen and proudly demonstrate how well im mobile around the house, get them a cuppa and when they leave i do feel great cause it feels like ive given them something!

A few really have been there for me though, extending my comments and observations so i can explore what my challenges are e.g. one mate took me for a walk round the block. I had trouble trying to connect the fitness level i had prior to surgery, with the impact of surgery and figure out what i could expect from 'today' given a few days recovering, a few days sedentary. It wasnt until i talked all that out that i could make sense in my head what to expect. THOSE friends and family members are gold dont you think?

OH, and i booked my flight so i will spend last 2 weeks of recovery with family down south. How delicious!

In the meantime i continue to eat lots of fruit, prunes, bran etc and have gone regularly since the op. All you Americans out there ... I found individually wrapped Californian prunes in hospital a total bonus.

Happy healing to you all. It pains me to know that each new day even more ladies need to go through what I went through.

sisterkris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Still in Extreme Pain After Over A Week

Hi everyone:

Had my TVH a week ago yesterday. I woke today in extreme abdominal and lower back pain. I'm still taking Vicodin and Motrin as prescribed while awake, but don't take it during the night. Is someone else out there still experiencing quite a bit of pain eight days after surgery?

I'm feeling really bad about having to ask my husband to do EVERYTHING! My dr. suggested I not drive as long as I'm taking the pain meds, so I'm having to ask him to either go get things or take me various places. Until yesterday, I hadn't gotten out of my jammies or left the house since the surgery. We went to Best Buy to buy a laptop, and that short excursion wiped me out. Am I expecting too much of myself, too soon?

Wishing you all a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way out West
After reading your first post Karen, I realized that our surgery experience so far was almost parallel. From the same time of day to our hospital stay. I don't remember much about last Friday. My husband tells me I was in a great deal of pain though. I do remember overwhelming relief when we finally got ahead of it.

Anyway, I feel like you do this morning. My husband got home from a business trip last night, and I so wanted to show him how well I was doing. But, this morning, I am back on pain meds. and bummed

Oh well, I guess I need to be less hard on myself.

Have a good recovery day today ladies!
Way Out West: It's sure nice to know I'm not alone. However, I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with the pain too. I fortunately have not had to deal with a lot of physical pain in my life, so I'm feeling ill-equipped to deal with it. From what I'm reading, everyone is different and we may as well go with what we are given. I'm a recovering drug addict/alcoholic (almost 13 years), so I need to be very careful about what I take and why I am taking it. I hope today is a better day for you.
Unread 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Karen, I am sorry you woke up in pain today. A nurse from the hospital called yesterday just to check on me. I told her I was trying to cut back on the Darvecet. I am down to a half dose now, with 400 mg of Ibuprofen in between. She said to not worry about cutting all the way back. The important thing was not to be in pain, as pain slows the healing process down. I will stay with one every 4 hrs for now, but last night I did go 8 hrs without and felt okay. I am still spotting, I hope that stops soon. I see the Dr. on Tuesday for my 2 week post-op. I am writing questions down now so I won't forget them.
Unread 03-08-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way out West
Karen, I am sorry you woke up in pain today. A nurse from the hospital called yesterday just to check on me. I told her I was trying to cut back on the Darvecet. I am down to a half dose now, with 400 mg of Ibuprofen in between. She said to not worry about cutting all the way back. The important thing was not to be in pain, as pain slows the healing process down. I will stay with one every 4 hrs for now, but last night I did go 8 hrs without and felt okay. I am still spotting, I hope that stops soon. I see the Dr. on Tuesday for my 2 week post-op. I am writing questions down now so I won't forget them.
Thank you. I'm glad to hear you are experiencing less pain and taking less meds. I'm taking Vicodin every four hours and Motrin every six. Maybe I need to wake myself during the night to make sure I keep an ongoing supply of meds on board. I, too, am spotting, but my dr told me to expect that for up to six weeks after surgery.

I took a list of questions to my pre-op and it was really helpful. I don't know about you, but my memory just isn't what it was before the surgery. Actually, my memory was lacking before the surgery, buy now it's even worse. Oh well.

May I ask your first name?
Unread 03-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Sure my name is Teri. I did wake myself up for most of the week to stay on my med. schedule. Last night was the first night I slept for 4 hrs. straight, it was wonderful
Unread 03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
5 days since surgery

Hi all...I'm sorry I haven't individually replied to you wonderful ladies who have offered kind words and support, but I truly thank you.

The past two days I've had the most pain throughout this process. I've just started putting ice packs on my incision and it is really helping. My doc said no heat, but I was thinking heat would be soothing and thought cold would be very uncomfortable. I'm happy I was wrong.

I've been sleeping well at night and have been having lots of weird dreams. Living alone makes recovering a little more difficult, but I'm working it out.

I've been fluctuating with hot flashes, feeling very cold, then feverish. I have felt extremely cranky and irritable today.

Moods have been fluctuating a lot. I burst into tears sporadically. No ovaries...no hormones...menopause is gonna be a long, rocky road....
Unread 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Hi everyone:

My hubby and I had date night tonight. We spent 1-1/2 hours with friends and then went to the grocery store. (wooo hooo). I did the stupidest thing at the grocery store. When I opened the door to grab some milk, a gallon of milk fell on the floor, and I immediately bent over and picked it up without even thinking about it. It hit both my husband and myself at the same time -- what in the hell am I doing? It's hard to tell if I did any damage, as I'm already in pain anyway. I'm sure I'll know by tomorrow. Despite that, my brain doesn't remember that I just had major surgery. I had to stop myself several times from pushing the grocery cart. I'm dangerous when I'm out there. I'm so used to being independent and taking care of myself. May need to curtail the shopping trips for awhile.

Hope you are all doing well. Learn from my mistakes, please.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register