It's bowel prep day! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's bowel prep day! It's bowel prep day!

Unread 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM
It's bowel prep day!

Today is the day I have been dreading more than the surgery itself, even with a cancer possibility hanging over my head.
After reading tons on these boards over the past couple of weeks, I got inspiration from a couple of ladies who were posting to each other on their shared day, comparing notes, etc. I had found a few anacdotal posts, but other than that one there wasn't a blow by blow (so to speak!) on the boards. So I decided to start one...and hopefully ease the mind of someone who fears this as much as I do. I am sure it's not as bad as I have convinced myself it is! Or at least I hope not.

So, read no further if you don't want to know.
My prep is as follows:
Sunday- soft foods
Monday:
Magnesium citrate 8am, 2pm, 8pm, 8oz. doses each time
fleets (store brand) enema 6pm and 11pm

I tried to get my sentence reduced...at least to only do 1 enema, or to move things earlier...I have a ruptured disc that is going to make things interesting, plus I have to be up at 4am to be out the door by 5, it's an hour ride to the hospital. The doc said I could forego the enemas if I added 2 doses of magnesium citrate on Sunday. I opted to contain the maddness to 1 day, I figure I will do it somehow!
I think she's being overly cautious because of the unknown mass issue...we can't seem where it is, I think she's afraid the bowel may be involved. great.

So...8am. I opted for the original flavor of mag cit, thinking I like cherry and don't want the flavor ruined forever in my mind, and the grape would probably be too sweet.
8 oz- I planned to chug it, didn't know it was fizzy! ok, not chugging. Large swollows with a chaser of the pomagranite/berry juice I found. Not bad.
Thank you whomever mentioned using a straw to get it past the majority of the taste buds, I think it helped. The flavor was really not too bad though, just weird.
Noting so far...although as I write this I am starting to feel the faintest rubbles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 07:49 AM
It's bowel prep day!

Yeah, bowel preps are not much fun. But, the drs' do have our best interests at heart when ordering them

Stay near the potty, have lots of soft wet wipes handy.

Best wishes, I hope that your surgery and recovery go smoothly.

S
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:58 AM
It's bowel prep day!

I was going to mention soft food day-
The doc told me anything "easily digestable". I took it to mean basically no fresh fruit and veggies. I indulged in those pasta side dish envelopes- easy, fairly tasty, and best of all no sharing! Cottage cheese was good, as was the banana cream pie pudding cups- again, no sharing, not even the 2 left. My right as a princess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 08:52 AM
It's bowel prep day!

Today is my bowel prep day too. Mine isn't as near bad as yours, I just have a clear liquid diet today and only 2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate, one at noon and the second at 4. I've been so tempted to start early. I'm praying it will help with some of the pain. I'm convinced that 15 to 20% of my pain is from the fact that my bowels have virtually stopped working. I haven't done anything but pass a bit of gas for the last 4 days. I can't do anything to help it out, any kind of pressure sends my bits into intense pain. Right now just moving a bit squeezes things so they hurt. So, crazy as it is, I'm looking forward to my bowel prep today
Unread 02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
It's bowel prep day!

I kind of know what you mean, Fhyreworks. For the past few weeks I have been feeling so bloated, only more so as things get closer. I have not had any bowel trouble though...
Be careful with the prep. Does your doc know you've been unable to go? I would be very concerned about that pain too...can you be sure there isn't a bowel obstruction? Call your doc before you start taking the mag cit, just to be sure it's ok for you to do so.
and...maybe be ready for a 911 dash to the hospital in case your pain intensifies if you do take the prep.
I'm no doc, but I would be very careful with starting a prep...just make sure your doc knows what's been going on.
Have you been eating these last few days?

(3 hours and nothing but a grumbling belly here...I am getting impatiant for the fun to start!!)
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
It's bowel prep day!

hmmm...had to pee a few minutes ago, figured I would before I went downstairs to watch a little TV...did a little more than pee! That was a little surprising, just cause I didn't really feel it coming. I guess my body knows when it's in position! LOL
And now I am thinking it's time to stop drinking the juice...things are not supposed to be that color...time to switch to the clear peach juice and ginger ale!

Does anyone know if beer is allowed...a good hearty lager is nice and filling...I'm getting hungry...lol
Just kidding though...not going to have a beer while on these meds. Darn it...sure would taste good...
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:17 AM
It's bowel prep day!

I do NOT envy you. When my doctor said no bowel prep, and just don't eat after midnight the night before surgery, I could have kissed him!

I still plan to eat light that day, though. Can't hurt.

Hope your day ... um ... flows smoothly? Just think how close you are to having all of this over and done with!
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:52 AM
It's bowel prep day!

You are lucky about no bowel prep. I have never, ever done bowel prep (never done an enema). I have to do a fleet enema the day before and I'm dreading it. ugh

You know, they say a beer is a great cleanser ... lol
Unread 02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
It's bowel prep day!

It was probably me who passed along the hint of using a straw! I picked it up from the duodenalswitch.com message boards (weight loss surgery support group), and it helped immensely!

I have my pre-op appt. tomorrow, so will find out then what, if anything, my doc requires in the way of bowel prep! If she makes me take that magnesium citrate, I'll use the straw, just like I'm always talking about!!

Best of luck with your surgery!
Unread 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
It's bowel prep day!

tahireh, thank you! It's funny...I was thinking about getting straws a while back...since the belly has gotten more bloated I haven't been able to lie in the 1 position that totally relaxes my back. Then I found a couch position, but it's so hard to get out of just to get a sip of water! lol I imagine the straws will come in very handy after both surgeries. Especially the weeks after the belly and before the spine...
Just remember the mag cit is fizzy, don't think you can suck a bunch down...I nearly had it out my nose! LOL
Cathy...you lucky devil...
I told my Dad that I was hoping they did find something, or at least have to go open, simply to justify the prep! He didn't laugh...I forgot, he's the really worried one, I should have saved that insight for my mom.

ok...I have gone oh, 3 times. I have not had cramps, at least no more than normal. There were a couple of times I felt the urgency, but by the time I put the book down and got the cat and the blanket off, I was fine. In fact, this last time I went because I figured 1:15 was a good time...I'll try again just before the next dose at 2.

so far, so good, and not scary!

daxlou- I hear you about the enema...I have never done one either, and after seeing the directions I about had a heart attack. The positioning is going to be interesting...I have a feeling my doc has never had to give herself one either. She said "it's like inseting a tampon" to which I said, oh, I can do that! I generally insert mine in a standing position...not what's pictured on the box!
I am timing my pain med accordingly. I tired the positions on my bed yesterday...I wasn't able to reach without pain. My love offered to help, but I just can't...some things I just can't share with him.

I wish Fhyreworks would post back, let us know how she's doing...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register