What I've learned since having surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What I've learned since having surgery What I've learned since having surgery

Unread 02-25-2008, 09:36 AM
What I've learned since having surgery

First let me say that everyone is different and all of us heal at a different pace.
I had a LSH and kept my ovaries. I had severe pre-op pain due to adhesions from 3 previous c-sections. I really wasn't healthy going into this and I went in uninformed.
1) I found if I took a tylenol Pm along with 3 advil at bedtime I slept great all night(My doctor said this was ok. Check with yours).
I hated the percacit. I made me very, very tired but not sleepy. I could hear everything going on around me but couldn't open my eyes. I would be so tired the next day because I got no REM sleep. Not to mention how it messed with my bowels. I was in more pain from pushing whenever my bowels would move...it wasn't worth it! The Advil and Tylenol worked better.
2) No matter how good you feel you must still go slowly. I've been feeling pretty good and hosted a party for my son on Saturday. I have felt more pain the last two days than I have the last two weeks.
3) This is nothing like a c-section. You can't even begin to compare the two. After my c-sections I was on my feet and 98% after two weeks. I'll be 5 wks on Wednesday and I still shuffle somewhat and sitting for a long period on a hard surface is not easy!
4) I'm not a baby and I will take my time and heal the way I need to at the pace I need to. I've heard from friends about "people they knew" that went back to work full time after 2 wks post-op. I say GOOD FOR THEM! I 'm not doing as well as them.
5) This web-site has been a God-send and I will recommend it to anyone that has to go through this experience. It's nice to know we are all in this together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 09:46 AM

I am also taking my healing at a nice slow pace eventhough somedays it is driving me crazy. I am healing much slower than I thought I would, but I know I only have this one chance to do it right. I really don't want to go for anymore repairs. The receptionist at my family doctor told me I should milk this for all I can for now. I think she's on to something. I am learning to enjoy my DH doing the housework, laundry and he is an excellent cook. I might as well enjoy the pampering while I can. I still am taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours and two darvocet during the day. I hate that I still need it, but my doctor said I'm fine. Happy recovery.
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:29 PM

I agree with you. I was trying to compare myself to other's I know who jumped right back quickly from surgery. I had setbacks and couldn't and then was so discouraged.
I am not rushing my recovery and am now taking it slow and am finally feeling better. I'm still taking it slow and I have started doing light stuff around here but the hard stuff DH and DD are still doing.
I grocery shopped Sat and DD pushed the cart and unloaded them at checkout and DH unloaded the car and put up all the groceries. I had not bought groceries in over a month and I had a car full.
I'm so glad I'm finally feeling better and hope that each of you Sisters are doing good too.
Katrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 01:41 PM

would you believe my DOCTOR said it would probably be ok for me to go back to work (desk job) after 2 weeks. I told him he needs to stop thinking that every woman is Wonder Woman and to get real ! He said just about everyone is wanting to go back to work at 3 weeks and that by week 4 almost all his patients are working. I said what you said "Good for THEM" .... then I told him I intend on taking 6 weeks because I wanted to make sure that I healed right without pushing myself.
He smiled in a 'we'll see' sort of way. yep - we'll see, alright I've set my target return date at April 7th.
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM

I too am taking it easy - sometimes I think I am taking it too easy and this is why my recovery is so slow. The funny thing is I don't have much pain, but as soon as I walk a bit or stand for too long, I start to hurt. I do feel discouraged because I was led to believe that most women go back to work after 2 weeks. I am 3 1/2 weeks and I wouldn't even be able to do an office job sitting at a desk all day. For my actual job I probably won't be able to go back until April which is driving me crazy because my poor DH has to fill in for me since it is our own company so he is now doing 2 jobs plus all the hard housework. Thankfully I am now doing laundry (but I don't lift the basket - I take a bit at a time to the washing machine), washing toilets and sinks (no tubs or floors), doing dishes and light dusting (where I can reach without stretching). At least it makes me feel a little bit useful. I am still having an awful time sitting in a straight chair for a long period of time. I find if I am not reclining, my abdomen starts to hurt. I finally went out yesterday and sat on a dining room chair and then a couch for 5 hours and I am paying for it today (the thousand potholes there and back didn't help I'm sure). I was in pain when we left yesterday, and I hurt even more today. This is the first time my abdomen has hurt this much since my first week. It is very discouraging because I would like to get out and visit people, but the set-back isn't worth it right now. This website has been a true blessing for me because I now know that I am not alone with everything I am feeling (physically and emotionally). Friends try to make you feel better, but they have no idea what we are going through and feeling. I was even told I look great - but that doesn't mean I'm not dealing with pain. I think my DH has come to terms with my long recuperation more than I have.

The lesson I learned: We all heal at our own pace and we have to adapt our lives to our own recovery.

I wish you all good luck with your recovery!
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Nice to hear all your comments. I too am healing slower than I expected. I wish I would have found this website weeks before I did...

My Dr. also had told me that he releases most of his patients back to work at 3 weeks. He's encouraged me to get out and go for dinner, church, shop etc (with a DD of course). I tried a couple of times for a couple hours, and ended up regretting it. We just need to listen tour our bodies and mine is still telling me at 28 days post op, that it's still not ready to do much. Thankfully I don't have much pain, never have, it's the pesky swelly belly and tiredness along with more spotting than I expected.

I am spotting more than I was last week and he told me I worry too much...
and that I need to start pushing myself! I am merely walking a bit and resting in between. Was feeling super frustrated, but that was none productive, so here I am reading everyone's comments and feeling "normal" again. We all need to remind ourselves we are individuals! And aren't we great!??
Unread 02-26-2008, 03:39 PM

Gee...two male doctors saying that...maybe ask them how soon they were back at work after THEIR hysterectomy?!?
Unread 02-26-2008, 04:15 PM

I had my tah on 2/08/2008 they said I can't return for 60 days.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM

You will never have a better reason to lie around, watch tv and buff your nails. Enjoy it.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Just wanted to throw in my experience...my doctor is female and she sat me down before she released me from the hospital and said very seriously "You have one chance to heal, you're a busy mom and you're not good at sitting still or letting others do it, but it is imperative NOW that you let them."

I took her advice VERY to heart, at my two week check up I asked her if I could drive to Target or somewhere since I was getting cabin fever. She gave me her blessing but said to take someone with me. So, a few days later I picked my daughter up at college (45 minutes away), took her to Target to pick some tampons and other items she needed and who do I see as we just placed the tampons in the cart? Yes, my gyno! She smiled and laughed, then said I assume these aren't for you? My daughter came around the other side and giggled. She gave me a pat on the back for using the cart and having my daughter with me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register