driving - 21 days post-op (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

driving - 21 days post-op (children mentioned) driving - 21 days post-op (children mentioned)

Unread 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
driving - 21 days post-op (children mentioned)

Hi everyone,

I had a TAH, kept ovaries, and appendectomy.

My doctor gave me the OK to drive at 2 weeks, but I was not comfortable driving at that point. I'm now at the 21 day mark, so 3 weeks post-op, and I chose to drive this morning for the first time because my DH is leaving on a business trip tomorrow morning (Tuesday) and coming back on Thursday. So, I decided to drive my kids to school this mornign just to SEE if I could do it, so that way I could know if I needed to find people to drive my kids to and from school Tuesday - Thursday in case I felt driving was too difficult.

Well, I was able to drive fine, but what I found is that I COULD not turn my torso around to look out my back window when I needed to back up! It hurt to even try, so I did not even push it to try to turn more. Luckily, the only time I had to back up was getting out of my garage and down my driveway, so I wasn't in a parking lot or anything, so I was able to use my review mirror in my case (plus we have a child-safety sensor on the back of our car so there is a beep if there is an object of any sort within 3 feet or closer of the back of the car), but I do not think I should rely on that... I think I need to be able to look out my back window if I had to.

So, I feel I still should not drive if I cannot turn my torso around to look out my back window to back up. I can easily look over my shoulder if I need to change lanes.

I did also find that I felt every little bump on the road in my abdomen.... ouch!

I was wondering, did anyone have this same problem.... finding it's hard to turn your torso to look out your back window when you back up? It seems like be 3 weeks post-op, I should be able to drive just fine. But, if anyone did have this same issue, how long did it take for you to be able to turn your torso to back up?

At this point, I feel I shouldn't even go to a store where there is a parking lot because if I can't look out my back window when I back up, I don't think I should be driving. With my DH gone Tue - Th. and me home alone with the kids, I now think I'm going to have to get help, which is fine. My parents live close and are available to help.

Is this normal to find it hard to turn your torso like I described, or do you think there is something wrong??? I hope everything is healing right inside of me!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM

LTR:
I am almost at 3 1/2 wks and I still don't drive... and I know what you mean about those bumps.. I told my DH this morning that when the swelly belly comes, it seems worse.. I wonder if the fluids in the tissues reverberate from the bumps.. I don't know whose body I have, but it sure doesn't feel like mine.
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:49 PM

to LTR, Tomorrow it will be 3 weeks for me. I had to drive about 4 miles for the first time today. Yes,turning the body is difficult. I dont recommend doing it. If you dont feel comfortable driving and have other people to help, then dont drive yet. And yes, hitting the bumps hurts.
I have been in the car once a week since surgery. Today the bumps didnt feel as bad as each passing week. You are feeling just like me so it must be normal. lol
btw I love to run too. I had a TAH because of fibroids and prolasped uterus. I had a verticle incision with a 4 month size uterus. I am 49 years old. I have been reading your posts and enjoy your thoughts etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having a hard time driving at 3 weeks post-op! I never dreamt before my surgery that I'd be sitting in my house at 3 weeks post-op not feeling comfortable even driving yet. This recovery is just taking longer than I ever thought! But, I know I'm not alone in that either after reading everyone's posts about recovery.

I just arranged this afternoon for my parents to for sure pick my kids up from school while my DH is out of town, and possibly drive them to school, depending on how I feel in the mornings when I get up. And, my parents said they'd do all of the driving for anything this week while my DH is out of town, so I feel a lot better and I now don't feel pressured to drive this week. Phew! I just can't wait to start doing things for myself!

Danasue103 - that's great you love to run, too!! I'm sure you can't wait to get back into running. I know I can't!!! At this point, it seems like that is 2 years from now. haha. It's good to "meet" other runners on this forum who are having similar experiences to me. I'm really fit and healthy and i just assumed the more fit I was the faster I'd recover. In fact, before my surgery, I'd have people tell me, "oh you'll snap back so fast because you're so fit." But, I'm realizing that it doesn't matter how fit or unfit you are.... this is a major surgery and it takes time to recover.

Well, thanks for the replies!!
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM

It takes a lot of practice to back up when you can't turn around. Since my spine surgery I can not turn around very well so I had to learn to use the mirrors. It is still not a very comfortable feeling. Just have to be real careful
Unread 02-25-2008, 08:06 PM

To Loves To Run. and everyone else too.
( I dreamed that if I pushed myself hard enough in running, I would be like the girl athletes who worked so hard they stopped having periods) It didnt work for me. :} I am looking forward to just being able to walk 3 to 4 miles to start. I will only start off with one mile though... Only if I feel right. I also hoped that if I got myself into shape by starting to run a couple of years ago, I could keep myself from having to have surgery and hope to wait until I was 52 and done with periods and my estrogen would drop and the fibroids would shrink. HA HA My body said I coud not wait any longer.
The prolasped uterus was bothersome mentally and physically in certian things but not when it came to running, thankfully. I did have bad days though. I do look forward to when I can run again and not have my uterus and the cumbersome fibroids dragging me down. I am paranoid right now that I may hurt myself when I do start to run. The thought of not being allowed to lift anything and all the restrictions,,, and then when the 6 to 8 weeks comes..."You can go back to doing as before", just doesnt jive in my thought process.
Sometimes I feel like this is all a bad dream. I am going nuts being so "helpless" and having to ask others to do simple things,,,just so I wont hurt myself. I DO NOT want to tear any inside stiches and be messed up from that. I have so many people telling me to TAKE IT SLOW-BE CAREFUL, because they know me. lol
And my living room floor NEEDS vacummed. AGH!
Anyway, take it easy. I had to force myself big time last week to slow down, for I thought I hurt myself last wednesday. I think I was overdong it and was trying to get off of Advil and getting up from the couch and bed wrong. (Doing it like normal people do) instead of rolling to my side first and then pushing myself up with my hands. My side quit hurting thankfully.
Are you still on any pain medicine? I am scared to get off of Advil now. But scared to still be on it. Also tomorrow I can take off my steri strips. Are you gals using vitamin E or anything to help with the itchiness and help for healing? Any helpful suggestions?
Unread 02-26-2008, 04:42 PM

LTR,

My DH travels frequently as well and I've been driving kids to school, church, even Target for more than a week now. I am 3 1/2 weeks post op (TAH). The bumps still hurt, but being in the house the whole time was driving me beserk. I usually drop off kids early, and pick them up a little late so that I avoid the school traffic. It seems the stop and starts hurt more than straight driving. I use my rear view mirror and side mirrors all the time. My longest drive was 40 miles (mostly freeway) each way to an awesome dentist, at 2 weeks post op and that was sometimes easier than the stop and start motion dropping kids at their various schools for a round trip of 5 miles.

D103 - We've hired a cleaning service that comes in once a week, for the past few weeks so I dont have to deal with vacuuming etc. In between, well, it's ok to let things slide for a bit. It is soooo worth it...I still have difficulty walking too far and standing for more than 15 mins. I only take my motrin (ibuprofin - like advil) when in pain - usually after I overdo it. It's so much easier to rest when not in pain. My hour Target shopping excursion was good for my head, if not my body...

I'm still surprised how long it's taken - I was planning on going to Vegas for a Trade show 3 weeks post op and backed out the day we were supposed to leave. I still need to "get horizontal" after about 4 -8 hrs. I really didn't think it would be this hard....so I am sooo grateful for this site - it's kept me sane. Thanks all.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:16 PM

thanks "ShoeMe" -- I drove the kids to school again this morning, and it went better than yesterday. I felt more comfortable for some reason... but the bumps still hurt (even with my tummy pillow, which is a big red heart pillow. :-) ). But, my parents picked them up from school, and will pick them up the rest of the week for me. so, I think I'm comfortable driving them to school this week while DH is out of town. I'm not comfortable doing as much driving as you are.... but you are also a week ahead of me, so maybe that is the difference. I would SO love to go to Target and other stores like that.... I am SOOOOO itching to just get out, but I am just trying to really take it easy.... even though it's hard. I can't imagine how FREE I'll feel once I'm feeling up to doing that kind of stuff!!!

We also have a house cleaner.... that has been a GOD SEND to us.... So, I never have to worry about mopping the floors, vaccuming, scrubbing, etc. etc. She only does the deep cleaning stuff... we still do all of our own laundry, dishes, picking up... all that stuff, and she only comes once every two weeks, so it's not like we never have to clean... but at least we don't have to worry about the scrubbing and mopping, etc, and that has taken the pressure of me hugely because I have a hard time relaxing when things are not kept up around our house, and my DH is at his max capacity as it is with the kids, laundry, dishes, food, plus his job, so I know if we didn't have the cleaner, it would not be getting done while I'm recovering, and I think that'd drive me crazy and not make this time in my house very enjoyable.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM

Glad to know it was easier today for you. I found myself holding my breadth each time I started driving, which wore me out - I think it was just nervousness. I am getting used to it though and don't worry much about this anymore

I've noticed quite a difference in energy levels with each day this week - I am hoping this is the turning point. You'll get out soon enough...take it easy, we have one chance to heal right.

My first drive and trip was to the pharmacy, 12 days post op...not a good thing. I almost passed out at the store and barely made it home. I am just not used to being so helpless.

I have to tell you I was tired and in pain right after I walked into Target (this past Friday). I even seriously considered using one of those sit down scooter type baskets. I got intimidated when I went to check it out and backed away. DH was out of town again, but I had the kids push the cart and we slowly and casually strolled through the store. It was awesome.

Nora
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM

When I started back to driving the bumps hurt but you could prepare for them by putting more weight in your feet. The seatbelt across the tummy, which a pillow helps. But the thing that I did not expect was going around med. to sharp curves at a good rate of speed. Oh my!!! i felt like the entire insides shifted. Had to slow down of the curves a little in spite of have a sports car. Now however I can take the curves like before. The seatbelt is still a problem and I have to be careful getting in and out of the car.

Little by little we are getting better, YEA !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register