Fatigue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Fatigue

I am getting concerned because I have been so very tired, even with what I consider little or no exertion. Last week I started back at the YMCA with some walking and light weights and had some pain and extreme tiredness. I rested and relaxed most of the weekend and am still tired. I had LSH with ovary removal on the 31st of January and had felt good up to this point. I posted some last week but thought by this week I would be better and feel more peppy!! Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Fatigue

Hi vdasch! Wow, I give you a lot of credit for trying to workout so soon after surgery. You are going to feel some aches and pains for quite a while. Just listen to your body and make sure to give yourself a day or two in between workouts to start. I'm still feeling fatigued at times at 14 weeks post-op...and LOL I haven't done too much walking on my treadmill yet. Hang in there!
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Fatigue

Wow. Your doctor approved you going back to the Y to workout? My TAH/BSO was 2/6/08 and I don't think my doctor will approve me working out for quite a while. Perhaps you are doing too much? My doc said recover was anywhere from 6- 12 weeks. Prior to the surgery I begged him to ok me for work for 2 weeks after the surgery. He got tired of arguing with me and said to see how I felt post surgery. I was nowhere NEAR ready to return to work by that point and he said he figured I would say that after surgery. He said my biggest problem would not be pain, but total exhaustion and he was SO right. I've tried to be up and around for several hours each day but everything exhausts me. Its frustrating as can be but everyone keeps reminding me that I just had major surgery and can't expect to be "normal" for quite some time. I've been able to do things like iron or do a short walk in Target or the drugstore, but once I hit exhaustion I am completely done in. I've had six other surgeries in the past for endometriosis and every single one made me wait until at least 6 weeks post surgery to work out. I would check with your doctor, but I suspect that your fatigue is due to over extending yourself. However, don't feel alone, because I'm exhausted all the time now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Fatigue

Thanks so much for the reply. Doctor told me to try working out. I walked one day and did light weights the next and was just knocked for a loop that night. I have decided to just bide my time now and try to take it easy. Some one told me to keep reminding myself that I just had major surgery even though I have very small scars, inside is still healing, so I try to remind myself of that every day!! I am one of those people that doesn't like to sit still so it is a struggle for me but I can do it if I know exhaustion is the result!! I had a thyroid lobectomy (left side ) on 12/20 and the hysterectomy on t 1/31 so I have been through alot.
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Fatigue

I also had a LSH a week before you. Yes, I have been released for everything but the fatigue stops me also. It is improving everyday unless I over do things then it seems to take two days to get any energy back. I am worried that if I do not push myself a little I will get even more stagnant.

I have started back with complete duties, i.e. cooking, cleaning, kids, laundry, grocery shopping and regular schedule at work. I still will not pick up anything over 10 pounds or vacuuming and moping. I am too scared of hurting myself. Just these duties alone are wiping me out.

Depending on how I feel after a week of full duties, I may hit the treadmill next week. This is just the schedule I have created for myself in my head.

I have been told by many friends that energy takes over two months to really get back. I have noticed improvements, every week the time that I want a nap is getting later and later. I have not come home and napped since Wednesday. A week before I had to take my nap before dinner.

Take care
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Fatigue

Hi vdasch! So sorry to hear that you still aren't feeling up to par! I can't believe your Dr. said you could do light weights!!! When he/she said "workout" are you sure they didn't just mean "walking"? Going back to work so soon, plus working out with weights might be putting too much strain on your body for the time being. If you are exhausted, your body is telling you, "Hey, slow down so I can heal properly!". I am one of the people who did answer your other thread and I remember you saying that you wanted to go visit your daughter this weekend (who is pregnant)? Remember to look out for yourself first so that you will be able to enjoy the time with your wonderful daughter. It would be a shame if you pushed yourself too hard and weren't able to do the trip (or spent your whole visit napping). Take the time now so you can enjoy your grandchild later. I have read some threads on this site from women who pushed themselves too hard, too soon and months or years later are going back into surgery due to complications with adhesions, etc. We all find it very hard to slow down, but the pay off in the end will be so fantastic that it will have all been worth it. You and I had our surgery on the same day and I am way behind you in recuperation. I went out yesterday afternoon to a friend's house, and just sitting upright for 5 hours has caused me a lot of abdominal pain today - I have been forced to slow everything right down. I'm not happy about it, but I have to listen to what my body tells me. Take your time, you have your whole life ahead of you...

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Fatigue

My doctor has cleared me for all activities as well. I have been cleared since week 4. But I am not ready to do much more than walk (other than housework, cooking, light yardwork and my full-time job). I am so afraid of a setback. I helped hubby paint this weekend and felt it from head to toe and mainly in the belly.

vdasch - I think you are doing wonderfully by going back to the gym already. Most people who did not have surgery would be tired after a day in your shoes. Be joyous that you are able to do so much post-op but do not forget to listen to your body and give it rest when needed.
Unread 02-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Fatigue

Thank you so much for your replies to me thread. Everything you have all said has given me support and assured me that this is a normal thing. I have really had talks with myself and have backed off on alot of my activities around the house. My DH moves laundry baskets around for me again and I am getting in the habit of relaxing in the evenings instead of trying to catch up on some things at home. I am sure they will wait for me and they are things that really don't have to be done "right now". I am trying to really listen to my body and really feel where it is at in recovery. I still get the achey belly in the evenings and my back still bothers me though I feel that is getting a little better every day. I have decided to wait on getting back to the Y this week, will plan on next week and start with walking and eventually get back into my normal workout a little at a time. I like to do Nautilus and my doctor released me for that, just told me to lower my weights. It was definately too much at this point in my recovery. I live where we have snow and ice so walking outside is not possible. I may try 5 minutes or so on the treadmill later this week just to try to increase my stamina. I also worry that if I don't start a little here and there that may not be a good thing either.

I am looking forward to seeing my DD and SIL this weekend. We haven't seen them since Christmas and I am sure she has blossomed since then. We are planning a small family baby shower so that will be a nice celebration. It will be a relaxing weekend for me and fun to reconnect with my family.

Thank you again for your notes of support and verification that all is normal and reminding me to take care of myself. This site has definately been so helpful to me and has given me a place to go for answers and support.

Thank you and enjoy your week!!
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Fatigue

Hi Vdasch,

I also had a LSH. My Dr. released me to go back to the gym at 4 weeks. I did a lighter work-out then normal...felt great...and the next day...I felt achy and tired. Yikes!!! I decided 4 weeks was just a little too early for me. I went back to the gym at 6 weeks and it was a lot better.

Sending best wishes~

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register