How is IBS related to a TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How is IBS related to a TAH? How is IBS related to a TAH?

Unread 02-26-2008, 01:38 AM
How is IBS related to a TAH?

Hi all! My gyn is sending me to a gastrointestinologist (or however you spell it) tomorrow afternoon, because she thinks I also have IBS. I am getting my TAH March 4th due to endo issues. However, I was wondering, if it does end up that I have IBS how is that related to my hysterectomy or is it? Just curious because it seemed that she wanted to know before the hysterectomy. She told me that endo patients often have IBS accompanying it. I believe that she is right, seems as if I have all the symptoms, I'll know tomorrow I guess. However, if anyone knows if or how this effects the surgery can you plz tell me? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 05:43 AM

My SAH is tomorrow. I don't have endo; I have fibroids and IBS (not bad enough for medication). I've heard conflicting opnions about whether they're related. I wasn't diagnosed with IBS until after I found out that I had fibroids. Since it's documented on my chart, my gyn didn't send me to the gastro doctor.
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:30 AM

I have a friend that had a hyst. about 2 yrs ago now. She didn't suffer from IBS until 1 yr later and it hit her hard. She lost 20lbs. in 2 months from it. Thankfully the Drs. were able to diagnose her finally, and she can once again eat. I think you are lucky that they are looking at it BEFORE. She swears having the hyster. set it off. The gastro Dr. told her that she probably has had IBS all her life, but for some reason it just began acting up. Perhaps, if they had found it prior to, she could have already been on meds to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 06:47 AM

I've often wondered if I had IBS - I have all the symptoms. I never thought it was related to my "woman parts".
I had my hyst due to fibroids (I had a whole family of them - ranging in size from baseballs to grapes). When my doctor got in there he saw I had widespread endo ! I NEVER knew I had endo. Since my menstrual issues were all explained by the fibroids there was never any reason to look for a additional disease.
Turns out my bowels and intestines had quite an extensive amount of endo adhesions and my doctor had to spend ALOT of time working on that during the surgery. I'm curious to see if my IBS symptoms now go away (I don't even want to think about the possibility that it can make it WORSE !).
Unread 02-26-2008, 07:21 AM

I suffer from IBS like symptoms as well. My symptons are rather predicatable (though not always) and seem to be very much in tune with my cycle. I do not seem to have any food triggers. I am currently waiting for a hyster surgery date with a bowel ressection because last year during ovary with cyst removal and endo eradication as well as ablasion, it was discovered that my large bowel is adhered to my cervix with a walnut sized endo node. He didn't remove it at the time because he doesn't touch the bowel. There will be a second doctor attending at this surgery. I am hoping this will "cure" all my problems, I really believe it's not true IBS that causes my digestive issues. I was told that alot of women that are said to have IBS actually have endo with bowel involvement.
Unread 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM

So yah, I went to the gastro today, and they told me that they didn't realize they weren't in my network for my insurance and asked if I wanted to still see the doc. So, I decided not to do it right now, considering I'm sure that the bills will be piling up quite nicely next week when I have my TAH. I'm going to wait til my pre-op and ask my doc for another referrral for another doc that is actually in my network. However, I have done some research on the matter, and saw that endo and IBS seem to go hand in hand alot of times. I'm pretty sure that it won't effect my surgery at all. So, I guess I'm just going to wait til after the hyst and then get all that going. Thanks for the responses!
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi there,

Here is what my doctor has shared with me, however, we haven't done any tests yet (hoping the LAVH will be my 'miracle cure'). Both my surgeon and doctor feel that I have IBS and they believe the fact that my uterus is very tilted is a cause (probably not the only one!) of my IBS. They explained that during my cycles (which are never ending) I have uterine 'edema' which then blocks off my bowels (ok, nothing like getting too personal) Then, when the edema goes away, I'm somewhat back to normal. I know everyone is different but that is what my doctors think is happening to me. Apparently a retroverted uterus can cause IBS like symptoms.

Hope everyone has a wonderful recovery!
Unread 02-26-2008, 08:15 PM

Lolee,
I was diagnosed with IBS when I was in my mid 30s almost 15 years ago.
They basically did test to rule out other things so I was tagged with IBS.
The flare ups were unpredictable, but definitely worse w/my periods. I also had a fair amount of discomfort on my right side.
My OB/GYN was aware of the IBS, which she said often leads to intestinal adhesions. So before my LAVH, she had me do extensive bowel prep so the intestines wouldn't be inflamed. She checked the bowels for adhesions and for any pinching or pouching and checked my appendix. Amazingly she found nothing on right side, but on the left side she did have to do some intestinal adhesion repairs.
I must say since the surgery, 7 weeks+, I haven't had any IBS flare ups (fingers crossed it continues that way). But I do still have occasional discomfort on right side and guess I always will. ugh!
So long story short--your doc is probably concerned about adhesions, which would require repair and that usually means longer time in surgery and maybe a little longer recovery.
Hope my experience helps.
Good luck.
Unread 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM

Ahh, I see, now I wonder if I should have just gone ahead with the appointment. Hmm....I guess I will call her tomorrow and ask. Thanks that makes alot of sense. It's really silly how difficult it is to find informative information about these things on the internet. Thanks!
Unread 02-27-2008, 06:59 AM

Oh this thread gives me so much hope ! My symptoms were defintely stronger just prior to my period starting. My doc removed lots of endo from my intestines and my uterus is (oops!! WAS !) retroverted. I'm so hoping this means that I'll have NORMAL bowels again -- that would be a nice unexpected side effect of the surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register