constipation after 6 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

constipation after 6 weeks constipation after 6 weeks

Unread 02-26-2008, 08:30 AM
constipation after 6 weeks

I had a total LAVH on 1/8/08, I have since gone back to work last week and everything has been pretty much normal. Except for the fact that I am constipated most of the time. This causes a lot of pain and I'm very uncomfortable. I am no longer on pain pills, and am getting some exercise, am am watching my diet, so I can't imagine what is wrong. I tried the fiber supplements like the doctor mentioned but they only seem to plug me up even more. Anyone have any ideas for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:55 AM

sorry to hear you are having constipation problems. I am also having problems. I take stool softners and fiber supplements and try drinking allot of water, that helps. I also have prunes handy. The nurses told me that Pears have more fiber than apples do.

Hope you feel better.
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM

Yes, I am using colace stool softener (over the counter) at 3 weeks. Are you being careful about how much you drink? I noticed it immediately when I let that go...
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Thank you Jessi. I have been taking stool softeners about 4 times a week. I will try drinking more water as well. I'll try switching up to pears instead of apples. Prunes are a good idea too. I guess I have to change my mindset and start eating more fiber. I was thinking maybe there was a problem since I'm having to take so many stool softeners. I just don't want to become dependant on them. I'll try the other things you recommend and see if they help. Thank you.
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM

I will keep watch over my water intake. Since I started back to work, that might be the problem. I get my coffee in, and some water, but evidently not enough. Thank you ladies.
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:39 PM

I stopped taking my stool softeners at about 5 weeks and now I am paying for it. I am still not getting much exercise and I know that makes a big difference. That is just one of those things we are going to have to be careful about until we are back in a more "regular" routine.
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:43 PM

Yes I'm sure thats part of it. I used to go to Curves 3-4 times a week and since my surgery I haven't been for 6 weeks. I want to get back to normal but I know we shouldn't rush it. Everything has to heal on the inside as well as the outside.
Unread 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Some more fiber ideas are: Yo+ Digestive Health yogurt (Yoplait) has fiber, Kashi granola and the granola bars (they taste pretty good and I don't like granola) and I have used the Fiber all chewable tabs (not an acquired taste..but they work). For me...I must not be getting enough water because I have the urge to go but have trouble getting started. Sometimes I have a pain in the rectum that is very bothersome that I take Motrin. Does anyone else have that problem?
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Hi
My favorite is DATES! We have them all over teh house.
I definitely have a harder time starting to urinate. My doc says they have to move the bladder and ureter to get to the uterus, so it is not surprising that it reacts to the surgery. It should get better but may not go back completelyo to what it used to be like...
Deb
Unread 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM

I am 6 weeks post-op, still taking Colace every nite, a suppository when it blocks up too painfully, drink at least 6 glasses of water daily, eat an apple (along with at least one more fruit) a day, a yogurt a day, try to get my green veggies, have only been back to CURVES once post-op and very gently at that. I do have a problem with immediate urination, too. I am concerned about regular use of the Colace and suppositories, but I am just chalking this up to "this too shall pass..not fast enough, but it will pass."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register