when do you need a rectocele? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when do you need a rectocele? when do you need a rectocele?

Unread 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM
when do you need a rectocele?

Im not sure what is going on, but i have so much pressure between my vagina/bladder/anus, hurts to sit down..
I have alot of tummy pressure too...very low on estrogen-trouble tolerating it? just wondering if its just dry, or all this stuff has fallen since my TAH 1 1/2 years ago?
Wondering what the symptoms are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Do you feel any bulging in your vagina, this is how I could tell that I had a rectocele. I had a lot of rectal and vaginal pressure and felt achy down there but also had a prolapsed uterus at the same time so it is hard to say what caused what.
I hope you get some answers and good luck!
Unread 02-27-2008, 06:59 AM

My Gyn diagnosed my rectocele about a year ago. My symptoms were pretty straight forward: bulging noticable in vag., not being able to #2 (stool trapping) and lots of pressure on vag, rectum. I had a 2nd degree with mild entrocele fixed on 2/18. Glad I did it.

I'd get an appt. with gyn. to see if it is a rectocele or something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 07:37 AM

Have you ever tried to go have a poop and couldn't go because it felt like it was pushing toward your vagina instead of your anal opening? How about going only a small amount of poop, then get up and within a few minutes you have to go again and can't go at all or only a small amount again?
Hope this helps.
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Talking - when do you need a rectocele? Never

Gursie,

Hey am I reading your title wrong, you ask when do you need a rectocele? I think you meant when do you know if you have one.

I am cracking up, because you never "need" a rectocele!!! I know I hate mine and certainly wish I didn't have it.

I am sorry you are having difficulty, but I just had to respond to you!!!
Unread 02-27-2008, 06:08 PM

lol I thought the same thing. But I am the last one to point out typos, read me enough and you'll see why.
Unread 02-27-2008, 06:19 PM

sorry guys!!! you just made me laugh so hard..thanks, I needed that!!!we all need a good laugh right?? Can I please blame this one on hormones?

Can the gyno diagnose this, or would the rectocele be something my GI doc would have found during my colonoscopy? I just feel a chronic pressure between my rectum and vagina..hurts to sit down. Not sure if its just a low estrogen thing-dryness?

Gursie
Unread 02-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Wink - when do you need a rectocele? Gursie

Hey, I am not the best person here to give advice that is for sure, but your gyno could diagnosis, not to mention a second opinion is always good. Get it looked at and tell us what it was. I am constantly learning new things on this website.

Your right about we need a laugh. I have such family stress right now it's always good to take a break and realize it could be worse. I try to remember that.

Good luck,

Tammy
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM

yes your gyne doc can diagnose it but let me warn you. The woman I was seeing poo-poo-ed my self diagnosis of a rectocele and said I just had a small prolapse, nothing to worry about. Ha! Then why couldn't I poop? She sent me for a colonoscopy just in case and it was normal. I told the gastroentrologist all about it. She said to see another gyne doctor and in the mean time she gave me a prescription to help me go to the bathroom regularly. The new gyne doc said I had a small rectocele and sent me for physical therapy! After going through all that PT and nothing was better I went back to the second gyne doc and she sent me to this doctor who does these surgeries. He checked me and said I was right all along! I knew it! He said I had a significant rectocele. I think its not something they see every day. I've also heard of women getting the surgery done by colonrectal docs but the gyne docs that do the surgery have more experience and thats the doctor you want to work with. You want to get the name of the gyne doc that all the docs recommend. My gyne doc recommended the one I was planning on asking about.
lol I remember the first time I got online with all my symptons. I had never heard the word rectocele before. I jumped back in my seat and so OH NO WAY!!! Or something like that. But guess what, I survived it. Its not quite over yet but I'm getting there.
Unread 02-28-2008, 02:35 PM

I certainly didn't need a rectocele either, but boy did I have one and once my Dr. did the repair she found an entrocele too. Lucky me. But, no more bulging since surgery 10 days ago. Like I said before, see your doctor. S/he will be able to make a medical diagnosis. What we all are good for is anecdotal support and tales from the patient's view.
When I first had symptoms, I had a look with a mirror and thought I had some sort of gross tumor growing. I was actually relieved (metaphorically, of course) to learn it was "only a prolapse."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register