I'm home from the castle! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm home from the castle! I'm home from the castle!

Unread 07-22-2001, 05:33 PM
I'm home from the castle!

Hi everyone! Well I made it. Had a TAH/BSO. All in all I would agree now with the sisters that the waiting was the worst part. My fear of awaking in terrible pain came out to be not. Awoke fuzzy but in no pain. Wheeled me into my room and there was hubby and kids waiting for me... I thanked god there was no pain. All went well for awhile until the gas pains started. And for some reason I was able to burp but not to pass gas the other way. The pressure just kept building up and moving around inside of me. I asked for anti-gas meds and was given 2. The nurse told me they never work on anyone. I was told on day 2 of suffering with this to walk it out. finally was given a suppository and that only gave me the runs. It let out the gas but made the situation worse. Now I had to run to the bathroom all the time. I finally had enough and told the nurse I was taking my Gas-X from home.. Within 20 minutes the Gas-X worked and my stool became harder again. I asked the if I could take the Gas=X and they said no. I should of taken it sooner and not suffered. Day 3... Gas is gone and now feel the pain from the incision. OH MY GOD!!! Was on morphine and it did not make me sick at all. Was taken off that and put on percoset. My vein blew.

I have a 8 1/2 inch cut and 15 staples. My first shower was a doozy... Well back to bed. Sorry to all I am not writing any e-mails yet.. Wanted to let you know on here how it went.

I will write more later in the week..

Hugs,

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2001, 05:41 PM

Welcome home Princess Michelle!!! Love and Blessings Carol
Unread 07-22-2001, 06:35 PM

Welcome home MichelleNJ,

Glad to hear all went well. Take care of yoursel and be a good princess, rest, walk, drink, etc. You will be glad in the long run. I also hang out at www.soulcysters.com. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2001, 07:38 PM

Yikes! You're scaring me. This is the first visit to this board and I'm scheduled for July 31 for a total hyst. Maybe I shouldn't have read your thread!
Unread 07-22-2001, 08:43 PM

Hi Michelle,
I've read your post just today and thought it sounded like things went as pretty well as they could go.

Your experience gave me hope as my surgery is Aug. 03, and it will be the same as yours TAH, BSO, with some extra work either possible bowel reconst., and if the bowel doesn't have to be repaired then they will do what is called a urethra plexi (bladder sling).

I've been told that the surgery will probably last up to two hours. I think it might go a little longer and that's one of the questions I have of you...Do you know how long your surgery was?

I'm in Western Canada and I think I will bring up the issue of the Gas-X at my pre-op (I've never heard of it here). I've started writing down all these little hints so I can bring them up to my dr.

Anyway, thanks for your update, and hope everything goes great for you in your recovery. I look forward to more updates!

Take care,
Charlene039
TAH,BSO poss. bowel resection
Unread 07-22-2001, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the Flip-Side!

Dear Princess Michelle,

I am so glad to hear that you are home! Finally, it is over and now you can focus on recovering. What a relief!

Keep taking care of yourself, and let us know how you're doing, when you feel up to posting.

Congratulations!

Jupiter
TAH 5/22/01
Unread 07-23-2001, 04:26 AM

YEAH MICHELLE!!!!
I have been thinking of you every day,and was hoping to hear from you.Yes,the wait is the worst,AND THE GAS!! The surgery was a breeze compared to the gas.
So glad that you made it ok,I know how worried and nervous you were,now its all behind you.
I will tell you like I was told 4 weeks ago(almost)Rest Rest Rest,and drink lots of water(and take that ol gas-x)
Write when you are able,
Julie
Unread 07-23-2001, 05:40 AM

Hello Michelle,
Unread 07-23-2001, 05:43 AM
home

Hello Michelle, Glad you are home and things went well. Makes me feel a bit better before I go in. Thank you for letting us know how things went. Take care of yourself. Sorry about the previous post I hit the worng darn key.
Unread 07-23-2001, 05:50 AM
Thank you so much everyone.. :)

I am SO glad to be home. I wrote all that I did not to scare anyone. I am so sorry if I did not get my point across because I am on pain medication still.. Let me explain..

I told you about the pain from the gas because I want all ladies in waiting to make sure you take Gas-X with you to the hospital. Mine was maximum strength. Because the doctor and nurses would give me nothing for the pain it had gotten so bad that I felt like I was giving birth again... Waves of pain, large gas moving around. Walking does help get rid of it but, if your in pain like that you do not feel like walking. I wanted to share this with you so you do not let your gas build up like mine. The other sisters said also to take your own meds from home. I am very glad I took those also. The only had one of the 4 meds I take and on the 3rd day I started taking my own meds from home. They told me they did not like this and I said I did not care. The nurse the night before did not watch my iv good and it backed up with blood. Because it was clogged I did not get the glucose in the iv overnight. Plus I did not get my glucophage to control my insulin. Anyhow I awoke that morning with major shakes and told them I am taking my own meds because they are NOT taking care of me like they should. Well this one nurse anyhow. Morning nurses were super!

You also have to remember that I have fibromyalgia. Widespread chronic pain in my whole body... Today I awoke in severe back pain. Trying to walk some and sit more today to help it.

Please don't be scared. I was SUPER scared that I would awake in recovery in MAJOR pain. Since I was so well informed from the sisters and talked it over with my doctor was my sucess at not having so much pain.

My surgery lasted 2 and a half hours. I had a TAH/BSO... The first reports from my uterus sample came back as cancer free!!! I go on Wednesday to have my staples removed and he should have more info for me then.

2nd night. My estrogen patch came off as I was having alot of night sweats.. I awoke with my sheets soaked. I had to wait for another to be ordered. More hot flashes and night sweats. That one too came off and he put me on a pill called Premarin. I thought they only used this as a preventative for not having a hyster. I am not sure? Will see how it goes.

Well time to rest some more...

Hugs,

Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register