Yellowish colored discharge and urine odor? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yellowish colored discharge and urine odor? Yellowish colored discharge and urine odor?

Unread 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Yellowish colored discharge and urine odor?

Hi Ladies this site is great...I stumbled across it looking for some answers for myself....I am exactly 1 mo. post op, had LAVH and still have drainage also which really bums me out ,I was so looking forward to not having to wear pads of any kind anymore..UGGHH anyway sometimes it's red (slight blood), sometimes brown. (old blood?) sometimes yellow ..sometimes smelly tho not lately ...at my 3 wk post op check up doc said I had a yeast infection which I am still treating myself for so I'm hoping this is all normal..I would suggest you call your Gyn and get it checked just in case...it's as likely to be nothing to worry about but it could be a yeast or bacterial infection too. Hope this helps...let us know how it goes and good luck !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 07:23 PM

I did get a chance to talk to my Gyn's nurse on the phone. She told me not to worry. She said the smell is the urine! I still say it's not the urine! I proved that to myself the other day! It's the discharge that smells!

Anyway, I was worried about a fistula, but it's not that because I'm not wearing a diaper. It's just a little spotting of discharge, I do believe.

Today my discharge is more of a darker color. Like a light brown. I have no idea why this is. Anyone else have this too?

Also, I seem to be having a lot of rectal pain and sometimes it still hurts to sit on my bum! Yesterday and today I had sharp stabbing pains through that area as well. Now I am concerned! I had a colonoscopy almost 2 years ago and I don't think anything would develop that fast! My colonoscopy was normal with no polyps found.
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Renay
My DR told me I may have this discharge and odor. He said it was the stitches dissolving and odor is normal. He also said some experience it for up to 45 days.

I am bumping up this post to point out something very important. I had all of these signs and after reading THIS post, figured, all was normal.... NOT!
I saw my Dr this past monday and he said that odor, fishy, as I described it WAS most CERTAINLY an infection.

a Warning to all women here; take NO ONES opinions BUT your own doctors seriously. because of these idiodic postings I suffered needlessly for 2 weeks. no one here is a Dr. and has no right whatsoever to be giving out medical advice odor and discharge for 45 days being called *normal*??? your Dr. sounds like a whack!
I am leaving this site as I see WAAAAY too much *medical advice* being dished out left and right by people who speak out of sheer ignorance.... SHAME on you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCat
You got me thinking. I bet it IS the stitches dissolving. Earlier I paid more attention (I know TMI, but I have to tell) to the smell of my urine and it was the normal smell, so it's got to be the stitches dissolving and the draining process. I was smelling what was on my panty liners. The smell was so strong! Gosh this stinks!! (sorry no pun intended) *LOL* I didn't actually pay attention to what the urine alone smelled like. So I feel better now. I think I will call my doctor tomorrow to make sure though.

At my two week post-op appointment he did tell me that I might see things on my panty liners that look like ring worm and not to be alarmed. He said it's just the stitches. How gross is that? (Just thought I'd throw that in there in case this happens to anyone else).
PLEASE, disregard MY post! my doctor did suggest to me that I possibly had an infection and not 'normal type' leaking.
Unread 03-07-2008, 04:37 AM

SassyCat...I'm sorry. My doctor also told me that discharge and odor would or could be normal for 45-50 days. But when my discharge increased and was awful smelling and I went in...found out I had an infection. Antibiotics have cleared it up very well.
I was 6 weeks post op yesterday and returned to work the day before. I have found that I have had a little pink hue to discharge later in the day. Also my belly really swells and kind of hurts a bit. Normal for my return to longer days of activity? That's what I'm thinking. I have pretty much just sat and relaxed when I get home and put my feet up.
Unread 04-06-2008, 12:50 AM

I think the prickly feeling almost like a pinch, would be the stitches desolving. I had vh 8 weeks ago and I have to still wear a pad because of wetness and it is most decididly ammonia smell. It seems like I am leaking urine. This must be normal because I heard it from too many people. Also the real gross smell that I had a few weeks ago is from the little piece of vaginal tissue rotting away....thats what I was told at last visit. I was only told this because I was a nurse many moons ago and it was like I was being given inside info LOL........but I am like the rest of you wanting to know why the wetness lingers and the urine smell with it. Makes me think they nicked my bladder!
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Have you thought about this being actual urine leakage? I had urine leakage 12 days after the surgery and found out that I had a UTI x2 and leaking due to bladder spasms. Which I understand is pretty normal after this surgery.
Your best bet is to go to your gyne. Get yourself checked out for any infection and start ruling things out. It is always better to ask and be informed than to wait it out and stress.
Unread 04-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Get it checked for peace of mind

Hi Sassycat

I have been having exactly the same symptoms for the past week. The ladies on this site recommended that I go and get it checked. The Dr. did an exam (that is fun at 2 weeks post-op with all the swelling still there! - Ouch!) He told me everything is normal but I am still having the wetness that you describe. I expected the discharge and odor but not the wetness. I have to see him again next week so I will ask about it again if it persists.

I would suggest that you see your Dr. for at least some peace of mind. After I read about the fistula, I was worried too but feel better now since he told me there wasn't any sign of one.

Let me know how you fare out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register