Mad, Scared, Another Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mad, Scared, Another Surgery Mad, Scared, Another Surgery

Unread 02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Mad, Scared, Another Surgery

I had and ultrasound awhile back showing a cyst on my right ovary. Today at work, I was in so much pain, I called my gyn's office and asked for my follow up. They faxed the order over, (I work at the hospital) and I went over to have the ultrasound. When I got there, I was pretty much told by the radiologist, "Oops, I measured your bladder the first time, you never had a cyst." WHAT!! At my hospital, the doctors just get a report, they never actually see the ultrasound. So this radiologist tells me, "I'll call your doctor and explain everything to him." Well, I was just LIVID! When I got back to ER, the phone was ringing and it was my doc. I told him I was PO'd, and he was like "Why, the cyst is gone." I told him that the radiologist told me that there never was a cyst, that he measured my bladder not a cyst. Oh, was he mad! That radiologist just flat out lied to him! He wanted me to come right in, and I told him I couldn't because of coverage. So, he was coming in for a surgery anyway, so he came early to talk to me.

I told him how much pain I've been in lately.I don't think he was too happy with me not calling sooner and letting him know that the pain was getting worse. He seemed surprised that I was still having pain. He said he's wants to do a lap. He thinks my right ovary may be covered in scar tissue, but wants to take a look around to make sure nothing major is going on. He's trying for a week from tomorrow, March 5th. I told him I'd probably have a nervous breakdown. He said if I need him I had better call him. I just gave him this look, he know's I'm worried about the PE I ended up with last time, and we will make sure that doesn't happen again.

I'm going through sooooo many emotions right now. I'm so mad, scare, relieved that something is being done, worried, etc. He told me I may lose my ovaries over this, but he'll try his hardest not to take them.

He told me not to think he wasn't upset over the whole thing, that someone WILL lose their job over this. He said right now though he needs to take care of me, then he'll get mad.

Anyway......Thanks for letting me vent. I really needed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 06:39 AM

Good grief - I feel for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about another surgery at this point. I had SEVERE endo and my doc left one of my ovaries in, so there's a chance the endo can come back. When I questioned him about a second surgery he said compared to what I've just been through anything else he'd need to do would be a cake walk.

Hang in there and keep us posted. I hope you feel better real soon.
Unread 02-27-2008, 06:54 AM

Hi (((Tara)))
I'm sorry to hear you're still in pain and now facing having the lap done. The mistake by the radiologist is very unfortunatle. It sounds like you have a concerned and thorough dr, so I hope this will all resolve itself in the end.

Do you have a history of cysts? I don't know what's going on, but I want to encourage you that there can still be pain at four months, especially if you're working a demanding job where you're on your feet all the time and doing any kind of lifting or straining. I had a lot of pain when I started being active again and it finally cleared up on it's own. I just wanted to mention this so you can put it in the information pot.

I think you're very wise seeing and talking to your dr and making sure everything is ok. I went several times and nothing was ever found. Finally, at about the 8th month it all cleared up and I have been fine. I guess I just don't want you to jump and do something prematurely if it's not necessary. I wish you the best in deciding what's right for you at this time. I hope there is a simple answer for you.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 06:56 AM

WOW I wouldn't know whether to kiss him or kick him (your doctor). I work for attorneys and doctors do the same thing, they rely on those around them to tell them what they need to know and then they make their decision. After practicing for a while they tend to just fall back on others and ride! Ive been telling my doctor for over a year now that I am still in pain, cysts come and go but the pain continues. He is just now thinking there might be more and the surgery I have upcoming is explroatory too to see if the pain is coming from somewhere else!! They need to listen to their patients, evaluate the situation for themselves and not rely on some tech straight out of school to tell them what they are seeing! HONEY I feel for you! Im angry for you, Im sure the emotions you are having cover it all! At least he is listening to you now and you will be able to get into surgery relatively quick. In my situation now, I have the PA telling me that it is a solid mass with no chance of rupturing, then I see the doctor and he tells me it is partially fluid filled and can partially rupture, but then again he was confused with my voluminous file and thought that this cyst was the same one they found in October, I had to explain to him that that one had ruptured as seen on the US and then another one rupture in December and I could tell and this was an entirely new one! You really wonder what they are thinking, are they so overworked that they just dont do their jobs themselves anymore. Even in my job as a paralegal, I NEVER rely on anything Im told (even by the attorney) I check it out with the file and the client before determining anything. I think they just get so busy or overloaded that it is easier to let someone else make some of the calls for them. OKKKKKKKK now I've vented!! Good luck to you girl, Ive got everything crossed for you!!
Unread 02-27-2008, 07:06 AM

I didn't have pain until about the middle of January. It started off slow, then increased as the weeks went by. He said the pain I'm describing he doesn't feel is normal recovery pain. It's localized to the one area, which is what led him to believe there was a cyst to begin with. I don't have a hystory of cysts.

Because the pain was increasing, I haven't had to have the demanding part of my job in the past few weeks. I've really took it easy, but the pain did keep increasing. After a pelvic 5 weeks ago, he said everything was picture perfect as far as healing goes.

I really, I mean really trust him more than any doctor I've ever had, so I believe he knows what's best in my case. I think I'm more irritated at the radiologist than anything. I'll keep you posted though. My primary doctor is just as concerned, and feels it's scar tissue as well. They work closely together. (they better considering my primary IS my gyns own doctor.) I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I'll keep ya posted.
Unread 02-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Bless your heart. When I went to get my initial exam from my Dr. that did my surgery she did an US herself and then had me come back in 2 weeks before my scheduled surgery to have an Ultrasound Nurse do my US. She made sure that she saw everything and more that the Dr. saw. My Dr. had already told me she was going to take both my ovaries because I had cysts as well and she said she wouldn't want to have to do a 2nd surgery. I am so glad that she did that. It's good though that your Dr. is going to check you out and see what is really going on. Good luck and God bless on your upcoming procedure.
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM

MandyKat, Please don't misunderstand. Things are done different everywhere you go. My doctor can look at any patient and tell you anything about that patient without ever looking at their chart. He probably knows me better than my husband. LOL This is the man that is late to every appointment, because he never rushes anyone. I know that when I'm waiting, it's because he's giving his all to the patient before me, and that the patient after me is having to wait because he's giving me the same attention. I don't know too many doctors that would take time out of their schedule to come see a patient because she's freaking out over the phone because she doesn't know what's going on and hates not being in control. My primary is the exact same way. My old one wasn't though, that's why she got fired. Anywho, I know that he would never mislead me and that he has my best interest at heart. I'll have the surgery, hopefully find out what is causing this terrible pain. I'm always included in these decisions. I could have very well said no to surgery. I didn't though, because I know he will get to the bottom of all of this. Thank you so much for being concerned though. That's what I love about all of you.
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Amen Tara. My Primary Dr. knows me and my family so well that she came to visit me in the hospital after I had surgery. She had to call her and tell her when I was having surgery and she came to visit. My Dr. that performed the surgery was actually off on the weekend and she had another Dr. check me for 2 days but she also came and checked me as well. I was blessed to have someone who really cared. I am kinda partial to women Drs. because I've had my primary Dr. since 1980 and she makes sure that I'm doing well. She also found out that I had a thyroid problem in 1999 and referred me to the Endocronologist who I see every year now. She has each Dr. that I see send her information so that she can have them in my chart so she has all my medical history. Thank God for that. God bless you on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Hey gals, sorry for venting before. But the doctors around here just dont seem as "into" their patients as you all have been lucky to find. Heck I wouldnt even be going through all this right now if my doctor had done was he was supposed to and taken my left ovary when we went in the first time. Im glad you have a doctor who now knows what is going on, will stay right with you on everything! HUGS to all
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandykat
Hey gals, sorry for venting before. But the doctors around here just dont seem as "into" their patients as you all have been lucky to find. Heck I wouldnt even be going through all this right now if my doctor had done was he was supposed to and taken my left ovary when we went in the first time. Im glad you have a doctor who now knows what is going on, will stay right with you on everything! HUGS to all
I so wish everyone could have a doctor like mine. He's my 5th gyn since I was a teenager. I absolutley hated every other one. He's the reason I'm half way sane right now. LOL I'm sorry your having to go thru all this because your doctor didn't listen to you the first time. Your in my thoughts!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register