pills or patches? which do you prefer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pills or patches? which do you prefer? pills or patches? which do you prefer?

Unread 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM
pills or patches? which do you prefer?

Ok I was all set to go ont he estrogen patch, when the doc came in with a pill. Premarin, I am trying to get a idea what is better? Are there levels they will check to see if it is working? I have a hard time remebering to take pills, so i wonder if the patch would be a better option.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Kelly,
I like my patch a lot, I used the pills at the beginning, but they would wear out during the day, they have peaks and valleys. The patch does also, but they are not as big. I also am not good with pills, however, if you can get through this without having to take pills of some kind it would be amazing. you should be taking a good multi-vit. also.
I am on the climara patch which gets changed once a week, but I have heard the vivelle dot stays on better and you change it every 3-4 days. I am putting a tegaderm clear band aide type thing over my patch to keep it on.
Also I have learned that putting the patch on your back side is the way to go, it does not do as well on the tummy.
LOL>
Lemon
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM

Hi,its been five years (today as matter of fact) since I got my total hyst. I started on the patch.Been so long,I forgot which one. BUT I take lengthy hot showers and swam regularly.Mine would begin to curl at edges and I became VERY allergic to the adhesive. So my dr thought I wasnt getting good benefit. So I was put on the pill form. I have been on several kinds. After five years and the patch,estratest ,premarin and one other I am on Estradiol (generic for Estrace) 1 mg. I have done by far the best on it. I have NO hot flashes,mood swings,night sweats or anything. I sleep very well too on it. AND I have a healthy sex life which suprises me after some of the horror stories I heard about of post hyst . The only thing is my dr put me on a third applicator of premarin cream vaginally..BUT i usually forget it most of time.Ends up being two times a month maybe...for vaginal dryness. All in all I feel better with this hormone and I forget I ever even had a hyst. Good luck..I think it is kind of a trial and error thing till you find what fits you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 06:27 AM

Hi, I am on the vivelle dot patch, its much smaller then the climara patch and I only been on it 3 weeks but it stays on really well and you change it 2 times a week. I am not good with pills either so I wanted the patch, it works well for me, I have not had any problems with it and no menopause symptoms so far. I never have a problem with it not sticking so far. Lisa
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:33 AM

I have been using the vivelle dot patch for 5 years and have been pleased with it.
I like it because of several reasons; only changed 2x a week, goes into bloodstream rather than intestines, more even dosing and continuous dosing, evidence that it may cause less risk of blood clots, it is made from yams, rather than a combination of synthetic/natural ingredients, and have not had any side effects on it.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register