Forgive me, I am new ~ please help! (childbirth mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Forgive me, I am new ~ please help! (childbirth mentioned) Forgive me, I am new ~ please help! (childbirth mentioned)

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Forgive me, I am new ~ please help! (childbirth mentioned)

Hi. I am new to this site. I had my hysterectomy on 02/07/08. I had a condition during my pregnancy that caused my placenta to basically eat the uteran wall. I knew going in that I was going to have a complete HS. I spent 27 days on bed rest at home and 74 days in the hospital. When the Drs. opened me up (with an 11 inch incision up my abdomen), he didn't know what to do. My uterus was a mass of blood vessels. He knew that he couldn't cut it to deliver the baby without me bleeding to death. He took it out and flipped it over and then cut. This procedure had never been done that we know of. The baby was born safely and then they had to take out my "stuff". The placenta had attached itself to my bladder and abdomen wall. For 2+ hours, they worked furiously to extract everything. I nearly bled to death. They took my tubes, uterus, and cervix. They left my ovaries.
I received 6-7 units of blood and was in critical condition for 12 hours. I had a pain pump but it didn't work for about 5 hours. I kept telling people that I wasn't getting any relief. They finally found out that my pump was blocked. How horrible! I kept waking up and I wasn't breathing and I was holding my ab muscles. They gave me an adovan to calm me down. I spent 24 hours in ICU and couldn't even see my baby. He was in NICU due to being born at 34 weeks. I am now 3 weeks post op and still in pain. My insides were beat up pretty badly like someone walked around inside with steel toed boots. Is it wrong to still be in this much pain? Is it reasonable to ask for more pain pills? What is the funky odor? It smells like death when I go to the bathroom. Every time I have a BM, I bleed fresh again. When can I expect to feel normal again? I am so confused about what I am supposed to feel. Sorry to be so long but didn't expect to have these emotions. I can't remember things and I am so short with people and this is not normal. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:29 PM

Sarita,

Wow! I am floored to read your post. Firstly .
I am amazed to read your story, and I'll keep both you and your baby boy in my thoughts. What did you name him? I'm glad you both made it through that part of the hurdle!

It is not unreasonable to ask for more pain meds, you went through alot. Everyone's pain will be different, you have to be comfortable. The smell you smell when you go to the bathroom are your stitches dissolving more than likely. It can't hurt to ask your doctor though to be safe. I would definately tell him asap about you bleeding fresh when you BM... is the blood bright red.. or is it more of a brownish etc type discharge?

You've come to the right place, we're all going through our own problems and together we help eachother get through it.

~Sass
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Answers

The blood drips bright red. I have decided to call tomorrow and ask about about these things. I expect too much of myself. I was up and running after my previous sections and expected it to be that way this time. I feel guilty that I can't do more and go more. I guess I am disappointed in myself that I haven't recovered more quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:37 PM

((((((((((sle4life)))))))))))))
Wow hun it sounds like you have been through the ringer. The good news is you cam eout of it :-)

As far as the pain... Everyone heals differently. There are some here that are still in a lot of pain and are still on pain meds and some who are not on meds and just feel discomfort. It sounds like your case was a little more intense than some of ours but I am sure some are here can relate and had simular.

The odor... I have heard that this can be an issue.. something to do with stitches I believe. It is always a good idea to check with your doctor though as there are other things that can cause it.

Recovery time... I think this differs as well but the thing I keep hearing is 6 to 8 weeks. Although I have heard that people who have major surgery will think about it at least once per day for 6 months. That does not mean you will have any pain or discomfort but just that you will think about it.

I know I did not have a lot of info for you but know this you will always have emmotional support here if nothing else... but you will find as you go through the posts you will get other help as well. We are all basically going through the same thing at the same time so it helps us to gage what is normal and what may be a problem.

Hoping you feel much better real soon.

Cindy
Unread 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM

Sarita
What a horrible experience! I would definitely talk to the doctor about th eblood and the odor. I think you should probably expect to have a harder recovery than the rest of us, because what you went through sounds a lot rougher. I am still on motrin 24/7, and only just went off percoset a few days ago; it wouldn't be surprising at all if you needed more pain relief than that. Also, I think that this recovery is harder than my csections were, probalby because they actually took out an organ instead of just cutting it and sewing it up again. So don't expect this to be the same recovery.
How is your baby? Canyou just lie in bed with him and nurse him and rest most of teh day? That might be the best thing still for both of you--I do get out and walk but I still spend a lot of time on the couch.
Take care of yourself....
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Sarita--
Oh my goodness, you have been through a lot. First and foremost: you are not allowed to be dissapointed in yourself anymore! You had MAJOR surgery, a life and death experience, major trauma to your body, and more. You brought a baby into the world and that in and of itself leaves your body completely confused. I cannot imagine what you and your body must be feeling right now, but I think you are amazing for continuing to try to move forward. Do not expect this birth to have the same recovery as others. There are a bazillion stitches inside of you and your body is bruised and beaten. I agree with the other ladies that said you are bound to recover much more slowly than the rest of us. That being said, however, I am in the my third week post TAH/BSO and I'm exhausted and swollen all the time! I get up and around and I even returned to work (in an office) for a few hours each morning, but I'm completely beat by noon. I know it will be weeks (and maybe months) before I feel like me again. I don't know if it helps at all, but my Dad had his prostate removed three weeks before my surgery and he is still in major recovery mode as well. His doctor just now approved him lifting 10 lbs or less, but said it will be months before he is back to normal activity. You just had a baby and major surgery. Don't expect more of your body than it is capable of giving. Give it time and give yourself a break. I will definitely include you and your son in my prayers!
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:58 AM

The emotions will be up and down even though it may not be normal for you it is normal for what you have just been through. I balled like a baby for a week or so even now at 6 weeks I get a case of the blues. I did not go through half as much as you did please try to be strong and give that baby boy a kiss from this sister take it easy and don't over do I know that one is going to be hard for you.
Unread 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM

wow, big hugs to you for your surgery and being a new mommy and dealing with all that
keep your doc up to date on anything that seems weird to you. better to call for notihug than not to call and something be really wrong.
keep us posted on you r progress, you are in my thoughts and prayers
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM

I called today and he gave me some more pain killers and said that everything is "normal". He said that they basically took a bulldozer to my insides and that my case is special. He said that my pain levels would stay up longer because of what he did to me. I am just glad to know that. I have a 5 YO, a 3 YO, and a 21 month old along with a newborn. Thanks for all your encouragement!
Unread 02-27-2008, 07:36 PM

Bless you, Sarita. Don't try to be super mom to all your wonderful children. All you have to do is rest and snuggle. Cancel activities. Let others help you. Don't feel guilty about taking all the help that is offered. When you are well, you will help others, as I suspect you have done in the past. I had three vaginal births and I know the shock my body went into with that. Hormones are wacky, no sleep, a new life to care for. You've had a birth and major surgery on top of that. Let your body take the time to heal right the first time. Best wishes to all of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register