antioboitics given on surgery day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

antioboitics given on surgery day antioboitics given on surgery day

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
antioboitics given on surgery day

This question just popped into my mind, and I don't know why I didn't think to ask my doctor... probably because it didn't seem important at the time. But, I think we all were given antibiotics on our surgery day (not sure if they give them during surgery, or after... I don't know when mine were administered through my IV), but I do know I was given antibiotics because the nurse told me. They had to postpone my surgery about 30 minutes or so because the doctor had to order a different kind of antibiotic for me last minute becauase I have a penicillin allergy, and he did not realize that until my surgery day. So, he had to change my antibiotic because of my allergy.... so that is how I knew I'd be given antibiotics.

But, this is just out of curiousity.... why do they have to give you antibiotics when you have surgery? This was my first surgery ever, so so much of this is all new to me.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Loves to Run,

I, too, had IV antibiotics, and I assumed it was just a precaution. I remember when they wheeled me into surgery and I looked around and thought "This doesn't look terribly sterile". Don't get me wrong, it wasn't in any way dirty. But the operating room nurses had come down to wheel me up on an elevator, and the door to the room was open (until I went nighty-night, anyway). But when I thought that my insides were going to be hanging out there, I was concerned about a stray germ or two. So I was very happy to see some post op antibiotics.

Your bio shows that you had appendicitis. That would definitely warrant antibiotics. It's also prompted me to ask my dr if he removed mine while he was in there rummaging around.
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks Katsme,

Actually, that makes sense... I guess it is possible for a germ or something to get in our body while our bodies are open, so it does make sense now that they'd use antibiotics as preventative. I was already out before they wheeled me into the OR, so I never got a look at the OR.

As for my appendecitis, that also makes sense why they gave me antibiotics! But, interestingly, before my surgery, the CT Scan had just showed that my appendix was "inflammed" and that was it. I was diagnosed with an inflammed appendix, and not appendicitis. But, when the path report came back, it turned out my appendix was FULL of infection, and so the path report came back showing I actually HAD appendicitis!! I'm so thankful they took out my appendix now and caught it on the CT Scan.... if not, I'd probably be back in surgery sometime either in the near future or just in the future with a near ruptured or ruptured appendix.

So, I'm lucky they took it out!

I'm guessing if it was not on your surgery orders to remove your appendix that your doctor probably didn't.... unless he had told you he would remove it if it didn't look good... but you should definitely ask! I think years ago, it used to be routine for doctors to just remove the appendix with a hyster, but I think now they only remove it if it is requested before hand, or there is a real need to remove it (like in my case).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:37 PM

I had an LSH and had a pre-op bag of IV antibiotics. The doctor said it was standard to prevent infection, especially with the scope procedures.
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi

I was givin 2 different types of antibiotics because I have a heart mummer and MVP. Denise.
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM

I also had IV antibiotics, I was told standard procedure which explained the yeast infection I developed about a week later. I can look at antibiotics and get one of those.
Unread 02-27-2008, 02:00 PM

It is standard because no matter how clean our body is andeven with surface preps like betadine and alcohol, millions of bacteria live on and in our body every day of our lives. A preop antibiotic helps reduce the potential of any of those bacteria getting into a place that can cause infection. The reason we don't get sick from our millions of bacterial friends is that they are generally in specific places in our body, when you disturb that balance with surgery the bacteria cause trouble...no antibiotic is 100% effective but generally >90% of people don't develop surgical infection. The OR you were in is considered "clean" but can never be sterile - the instruments however and the gowns the staff put on for the procedure are though... Nothing is a 100% that is why antibiotics are used...hope that makes some sense!!
Trish

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register