How long before menopausal symptoms? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before menopausal symptoms? How long before menopausal symptoms?

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
How long before menopausal symptoms?

I was wondering because I've read so many posts that have said they had hot flashes, night sweats, and so on right after surgery. I would like to know the average timeline when these symptoms will start?

I had my surgery on 2/1 and so far I believe I've only had a few minor hot flashes. I was having a hard time staying asleep when I first was home from surgery, but that was due to horrible nightmares, but now that is totally gone. I am also not taking any HRT. I am beginning to think if I'm fine (which would be a dream come true for me) that I won't be taking any HRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM

SassyCat,
I.m glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing. I'm 50, had a TAH on Feb 6th, but haven't had anything really except for some night sweats (I had those before surgery). I keep waiting for the hammer to drop. So far, no HRT.
Unread 02-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsme57
SassyCat,
I.m glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing. I'm 50, had a TAH on Feb 6th, but haven't had anything really except for some night sweats (I had those before surgery). I keep waiting for the hammer to drop. So far, no HRT.
I'm 47 and had a LAVH/BSO on the 1st! You weren't far behind me! I've been waiting for the hammer to drop too! So many women I know tell me that I will know once it hits, but so far so good!

I hope I didn't jynx myself or you for that matter! *LOL*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM

So pleased to see this question -my LAVH/BSO was just last Friday & my surgeon had suggested that in a worst-case scenario, the menopausal symptoms could kick-in within 48 hrs of my op !!

Have had a few hot flushes, but I think they have been more in tune with the 32 C hot days (here in NZ summer) than as a direct result of surgery - others have reminded me that these are just reactions to my anesthetic.

I have a follow-up appt in 2 weeks so am very curious to know what others are experiencing, what questions to ask - will I even be needing HRT ??

One other little question - silly maybe, but - does taking HRT result in breakthrough/period like bleeding ?? I have this funny idea that I will keep having periods.

Many thanks,Lyn
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:11 PM

mantilla,

I do believe if you don't have a uterus then you won't bleed.

No question is a silly question
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks for that Sassy Cat - the things I have never needed to know before seem to become huge questions needing answers now I've had the operation !!
Lyn
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I am starting to have menopause symptoms at 5 months post op, hadn't had them before and blood tests showed I was just "in to" perimenopause.

I am calling my gyno to get help....I'm so uncomfortable with the hot flashes, very little patience, not sleeping well, and having night sweats. I normally have the electric blanket on 5-6 with flannel pajamas. I cannot stand wearing any of that now...I don't think the blanket has been on in weeks now. I have also gained some weight...UGH!
Unread 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM

I am 42 and had my surgery on 2/5/08. So far I am only experiencing night sweats. I am just dealing with it. I am not ready for HRT.
Unread 02-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Hello ladies, My surgery was on Feb. 8th. and as soon as they took me up to my private room from recovery I started having hot flashes. I've never been one to sweat easily. I was just laying there visiting with my family and all the sudden I started sweating and feeling warm all over. It was like I couldn't get all the blankets off of me fast enough!! I wasn't sure if it was hot flashes or just shock from the surgery. My doctor came in and seen me and confirmed it what due to menopause so she started me on HRT immediatly!! I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and so far he HRT has done it's job!!
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:59 AM

my surgery was feb.4th I have been lucky about 3:00 oclock in the moring i wake up warm and then i can't go back to sleep till about 4 or5 oclock in the moring.I'm having alot of promblems sleeping and staying a sleep thought the night.than feel tried all moring.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register