When to go back to work? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to go back to work? When to go back to work?

Unread 02-28-2008, 07:31 AM
When to go back to work?

I'm going back on Monday March 3rd - which will be 7 weeks for me.

Am I ready? I certainly think that I am. We'll have to see. I work a 9 hour day Monday - Friday and have an hour commute each way. says that I should not work more than 6 hours each day the first week.

I'll let you know how it goes ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 02:01 AM
When to go back to work?

I went back to work after 2 1/1 weeks. I am a high school teacher, so nothing to strenuous. I had lavh, bso, a/p repairs. If you had abdominal, it would probably take longer, though.
Unread 02-29-2008, 03:53 AM
When to go back to work?

Hi

I live in England and here my doctor signed me off for 6 weeks. That seems to be the minimum time off that people here take athough many take a lot longer - depends on how much sick pay you are entitled to as well I suppose

I have taken another 2 weeks so just gone back this week for 2 days and I will be doing 2 days a week until end of March and then see how I feel I work for a charity as a HR Manager and my boss is very understanding.

If this had happened to me when I was working at my previous company then I would have been expected to be back at work full time a lot earlier as it was a private company.

I feel fine at the moment just very tired still and a bit uncomfortable after a drive but ok.

Take as much time as you can and you will sooon be back up to speed again

b xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 07:38 AM
When to go back to work?

For me now, getting up & down or in & out of ANYTHING has been a challenge at home so I'm not willing to risk the discomfort while at work. I work from home but also do a lot of traveling by car & plane. Each day is different & I want to store up some "good" days for myself before giving them away to work.
Unread 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM
When to go back to work?

Don't go back too early. Once you start working it is hard to stop again. I took a full 8 weeks. I am in sales though and in and out of car all day and do some lifting and carrying of semi heavy items. I was sooo glad I took the time. Once back at work I was really tired the first few weeks and sore. Feel great now but it has been a year. I really think it took about 6 months to fully recover.
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:43 PM
When to go back to work?

I went back to work at almost 8 weeks and my legs felt shaky by the end of the day ( I walk a lot). I wish I could have taken another two weeks just to feel 100 percent. I would take your time, heal up completely. Work will always be there!

Michelle
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:35 PM
When to go back to work?

My doc thinks you can go back to work in 2 - 3 weeks after a TVH and 3 - 4 weeks after a TAH. The personnel dept at work says normal time is 4 - 6 weeks for a TVH and 6 - 8 weeks for a TAH. As you can see, my doc errs on the side of early, and personnel errs on the late side.

My boss FREAKED OUT when I told him I would be out 4 - 6 weeks (my estimate before talking to personnel !). He said when I felt up to it to give him a call so he could ship me stuff to read before I come back to work ! He hasn't called yet. I miss him - BUT I'm not doing ANY work at all until week 5. we only get once change to recovery correctly and I'm not pushing it -- even tho my doc would say I'm being "lazy" LOL
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:33 PM
When to go back to work?

My doc said no earlier than 6 weeks for a TAH and no earlier than 4 weeks for a TVH. I'm planning to come back at the beginning of the 7th week, barring any complications.
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
When to go back to work?

I have a desk job and had a TAH.

Prior to the surgery, the doctor said I MIGHT be able to go back at 3 weeks, but that would be 4 days from now and I don't feel ready. My goal is to be back on Monday March 17th, which would be 4 weeks + 3 days after my surgery.

I'm approved for short term disability for 6 weeks, and the closer the 17th gets, the more I think about staying out the full 6 weeks. I'm still pretty tired and get sore if I do a lot of walking around the house. My boss won't be happy about it, but I'd rather come back as well-rested as possible. My job can be stressful. Luckily the HR department has been supportive. They told me not to bother trying to work from home because people from the office would be bothering me all day and I needed to rest.
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:29 AM
When to go back to work?

I was in the hospital two nights, surgery went very smoothly and I didn't have to take anything more than the motrin (800 mg) for about a week. i kept in touch with my office via email at one week and had a couple of conference calls (intraoffice) during the first two weeks. i didn't, however, want to make any substantive decisions due to the medication for the first two weeks. (I'm a lawyer). At my two week check my surgeon gave me the green light to do anything I felt like (drive, work, sex, basically the only limitation was no heavy lifting). I went back to the office part time at day 19. Admittedly, my mind was a bit fuzzy at first and I basically went through mail, pushed papers around my desk and caught up on the progress of various matters, but this week I plan on being a work regularly part time. I will go in late morning after letting myself sleep and taking it easy in the morning. (I'm fortunate that my husband gets up with the kids and gets them out the door). Last week I worked about 3-5 hours per day. I was ready to get in my lazyboy by the end of the day, but found that not sitting a lot at the office helped, and I really think getting out and getting back into a more normal routine increased my energy. I still "hit the wall" every couple of days and need to nap for a few hours, but those moments are fewer and farther in between at this point.

Before my surgery I searched this website for many hours looking for women's stories about this topic and could only find a few women who felt able to get back to a more normal schedule before the six week mark. I was overwhelmed at the idea of being out of commission with my family and work for that period of time. I have found that I am now able to do pretty much what I had done with my kids (son 16 and two daughters 14 and 10) before surgery (carpools, attending sports events, cooking, shopping). I even went ice skating with the kids at day 15 cause they had been on winter break and had basically been waiting on me all week, and I wanted to get them out and doing something fun for the day. I would say I am about 60% back at work. i haven't take pain medication since day 10.

I hope my story provides encouragement for others. I very much appreciated this site before surgery, which was a most difficult time for me. Blessings to all who helped me.

Linda
SAH due to many fibroids. Surgery 2/6/08

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register