When to go back to work? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to go back to work? When to go back to work?

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:43 AM
When to go back to work?

I work in DC, too. But I don't go back to work for another 6 weeks. I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule and leave the house around 5:40 AM before the traffic gets bad. Of course, I'm so tired I can't imagine going back to that schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM
When to go back to work?

Dear Teecher, you sound like a great teacher! Thanks for responding. I appreciated your thoughts. Linda
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
When to go back to work?

Thanks for your kind words. I'm lucky to have a job I love! Best wishes to you for continued progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
When to go back to work?

Once again, happy to have you all as a resource! I'm trying to stay strong and resist getting back to work too soon. Your messages are helping put things in perspective.

I had a slightly complicated LSH last Monday. Flowers arrived from my officemates as soon as I got home from the hospital -- followed shortly thereafter by email from my boss asking whether I'd be coming back to work early and a flood of calls and emails from colleagues asking "brief questions" and looking for "minor assistance."

Although recovery is going smoothly, I'm trying to ignore them all. It would just be way too easy to get sucked into working several hours a day on everyone's "little" problems.

Besides, not only am I having to use up all my accrued vacation for this "leave," but I put in tons of unpaid overtime beforehand to prep my projects so they'd run smoothly for a few weeks on autopilot.

I know I'm being a little selfish, but I gave plenty (four months!) notice. And I've always had to cover for everyone else when they took time off for various family/personal things with no advance warning.

Should I feel guilty? Or should I continue to duck calls and blame it on the Percoset...
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:05 AM
When to go back to work?

If you are using vacation time, you should absolutely NOT work! If you were sitting on a beach somewhere, they would not ask for your assistance!! You gave them plenty of notice, and do your share to cover for others, so don't feel guilty! This is your vacation...and I'm guessing it already doesn't meet your normal expectations of one...try to enjoy it as much as you can!!
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
When to go back to work?

I went back after 4 weeks and looking back now, it was way too early. I went right into working 8 hour days and was exhausted by the time I got home. If I had to do it over, I would have waited longer. Your body will dictate what you can and can't do, just listen to it. Good luck!
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
When to go back to work?

I went back to work 3 weeks after surgery. Not a good Idea! Had alot of pain in the incision area, backache, tired and very pale. I'm not going back until after I have had my six week check up.
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
When to go back to work?

My first day back was yesterday. i took 8 weeks, but I have a busy busy job doing desktop support. i am moving all day long. I also work 9-10 hours a day. By 2pm I was ready to drop. I am so tired and grumpy today.
Unread 03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
When to go back to work?

I am taking 4 weeks unless the doctor calls for more but I don't plan to take any less. Like you, I had a few email questions and I forwarded them to my boss. Don't feel guilty-I did the same thing you did-worked extra to get my accounts and reports ready for somebody else and also used ALL my vacation time and then some. You've done all you can and even though it is nice to be important to a company, I have to tell myself that if God forbid, I NEVER went back, thier doors would open tomorrow. Take care of yourself!!
Unread 03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
When to go back to work?

Hi Girls,
This is an eye opener. I am going to try to work 3 days a week for 4 hours each on week 5 and 6 of a 7 inch abdominal cut. My supervisor had a vaginal full hysterectomy some years ago and thinks i should be fine by week 2.
It is bothersome to sit, and i do have a desk job. One half hour now is about all i can stand sitting. I eat dinner standing up alot.
I am at week 3 right now from surgery Feb 15.
Thanks for the good advice!! Beverly in Sedona

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register