When to go back to work? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to go back to work? When to go back to work?

Unread 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
When to go back to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgvfan
I work in DC, too. But I don't go back to work for another 6 weeks. I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule and leave the house around 5:40 AM before the traffic gets bad. Of course, I'm so tired I can't imagine going back to that schedule.
My normal schedule has me leaving at 6:00am - but right now, I can't even wake up until 6:00. My schedule is not flexible - officially. But I have turned it into something a lttle flexible.

I am lucky in that the people in my office never contacted me while I was off. I went back to work yesterday and just started reading e-mail. You can't imagine the volume that you get in 7 weeks.

Yesterday was ok. Today, I am really tired.

I applaud women who could go back to work sooner, but for me - the 18 day love affair with Mr. Foley Catheter put the breaks on lots of quick recovery ideas. My bladder got knicked and my whole 2 weeks recovery 4 weeks vacation plan came to an abrupt end.

I am satisfied with my progress, but I agree with whoever mentioned the idea of too soon vs too late. I think that if I had waited much longer, I would not have ever wanted to go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
When to go back to work?

Also understand the DC commute (sigh). Fortunately, I was set up to telecommute while I'm out of commission. I began working a bit from home this week and will increase the hours next week. I'm not scheduled back until the end of month. I'm fortunate to have a great office to work for.

Sitting in a normal "working at a desk" position is the hardest part. I also have to stand up and walk around a bit. I hope it gets better.

Take it easy for as long as you can, and pace yourself generously. I know from my myomectomy in 2006 that coming back too quickly can cause complications that you wouldn't expect.

Hope you are doing well, dear ladies!
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
When to go back to work?

I can check my E-mail while I'm on leave, but no one expects me to do anything. It's nice to keep tabs on what's going on and delete those E-mails that aren't important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
When to go back to work?

I had adominal surgery to remove uterus. My work is not strenous,(interview individuals) so did a few hours a day for two days during week three, same week four, and will do three days a week five ( I am week five now). I am mostly sitting talking, taking notes and writing reports on the computer (which I do at home and have been doing since week three). I am not carrying my files, bringing my lap top back and forth or carrying reference books around. I have had to nap after work, and do little at home now except cook and load dishwasher. My husband carrys laundry basket, changes cat littler helped change the sheets and seems to overlook the rest of the mess ( which he makes most of and never bothered him anyway). I just follow a rule of frequent rest, shorter than usual work days and no heavy lifting.
Unread 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM
When to go back to work?

I'm exactly where you are. Today was my four week mark. I ran some errands this morning, saw my therapist (always a good thing!) and have been at work now for about 4 hours. Am ready to go home! Most nights like this I would be in my recliner, but tonight I will have to do some carpooling. Nevertheless, driving doesn't seem to bother me all that much. It is not a bad schedule and I sometimes wish I could just keep it all the time!

This thread has been so helpful to me. Thanks to all.

Linda
47. SAH due to many fibroids. Kept cervix.
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:43 PM
When to go back to work?

Hi Ladies,
I have been wondering about when to go back to work. Before the procedure I was praying for the day to be off for 6 WHOLE weeks (at least). But now (2 weeks post op) I feel like I could go back sooner, however, I will wait at least 4 weeks to make sure all the inside stuff is ok. We have a casual office so I ordered some 2 piece fleece suits and some large shirts to wear with my old fat pants and tennis shoes for when I go back.

We have a female Executive Director, who is my boss and she as well as my other co-workers have been very supportive. My daughter also works there and everyday she is bringing something home from one of them! Another co-worker had a TAH last year and was out for 8 weeks and her horror stories had me and the entire office scared to death but they also paved the way for me to be off 8 weeks if need be and as a matter of fact everyone expects me to be! I also had my computer set up so that I can work from home as I am able.

I agree with the other sisters, we have to listen to our bodies and do what is best for it if you can. I understand some ladies have set times to come back or other financial issues, so please use caution and don't undo all you've done on the road to healing.

Love yall and sending blessings and healing prayers to everyone!
Unread 03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
17 Days Post-Op

Morning ladies/sisters:

I too have enjoyed this site and quite frankly wouldn't know WHAT to be doing (not doing) without it...you ladies ROCK!!!

My dh was home sick yesterday and I've had to take Advil cold/sinus..ugh..I am getting sick..but I am not going to focus on it, only focusing on the positive!!~

My big outing was yesterday, we headed over to the Moncton High School where Ivan Daigle and Melanie somesuch was opening for The Wilkinsons! OMG, they were FABULOUS!!! Steve, Amanda & Tyler Wilkinson..they sing that song .26 cents, Fly, Fast Car (remake)..anyhow..the concert started at 7:30 and dh dropped me off at the door. The seats were WOODEN, no padding at all..LOL..the hardest part was sitting still for that long and the concert didn't get over until 11 PM!~ It was a very late night for this little girl. And it was the first time I wore my jeans..not totally comfortable ladies if your considering it!

My boss and her husband were there so it was nice to catch up and she was telling me how much I am missed It is nice to be missed. She said when I'm up to it let her know and she'd get all the girls for a LADIES SCRABBLE night..isn't that GREAT? I LOVE Scrabble..and she said I could stand up to play if I wanted Because I need to change positions.

Anyway, this morning my girlfriend is coming and bringing java..so that will be nice. She is going shopping afterwards and wants me to go, but this lady can SHOP..and normally I can too, but I'm not feeling up to it. So, I have my lounge suit on and won't be going. What I will have to do today is drive my oldest son to work & pick up my youngest son..fortunately it will only be one trip because they both have to go for 5..

It is so SUNNY here today, although there is another freezing rain warning..ugh...ENOUGH WITH THE WEATHER ALREADY LOL..anyway, I will get my walk in today and I do find it is the ONLY thing that keeps me going.

I hate to add this to such a good post, but I need a BM...UGH..so I'm sticking close to home until that momentous occasion happens..SNORK!!

Have a great day ladies, and keep on keepin on!!!
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:07 AM
When to go back to work?

Hi
I have to say that a week or two ago I felt a lot closer to going back to work than I do now--some days I am really achy and in pain. I am over 4 weeks post op and really getting nervous about going back...not sure why I am having so many bad days, and maybe I am doing more now than I did then, but I sure don't feel ready yet.
Deb
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM
When to go back to work?

You know at about the 1 1/2 week mark I thought that I could go back to work at 3 weeks. A few days later I realized that was not going to be possible and let my work know that it was going to be the full 6 weeks. Now I have a little over a week left before I go back and am anxious. It is not like I just did'nt do this just 8 months ago (spine surgery). I think that the thing that makes he difference is that there is no outward evidence of what was done. With the spine surgery there was a back brace and cane for awhile. Oh well, I think that the more of your coworkers that know about this the better because then they see and know what is going on and not just making it up in their minds.

I had 4-5 really good days and then I uttered the words, maybe this is it , maybe I have turned the corner. Crap, next day is a sh.....ty one. You know lay in the recliner and stair at the celing. I will have to say that it does not last as long as it did in the begining. Guess that is progress.

Good Morning to all of you Princess
Unread 03-07-2008, 04:17 PM
When to go back to work?

Marietta, My suggestion would be to stay out of the office for a while. It's great you can work from home, if you feel up to it. As a Sister here said, I also had the abdominal surgery and even at 3 weeks post-op, I had the attention span of a gnat! I am now post-op 7 weeks and ended my second week back to work, not full hours!! I've been wondering why I feel compelled to push myself. I find it interesting that many of the men in my office keep asking me why I'm back at work so soon. THAT makes me wonder....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register