Surgery approaching fast, still confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery approaching fast, still confused Surgery approaching fast, still confused

Unread 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Surgery approaching fast, still confused

Hello Ladies,

I'm scheduled for a TLH and TVT on 3/12/08, just two weeks from today! I'm extremely nervous about having these two procedures done and I teeter back and forth on not going thru it. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis and fibroid cysts. I've lived with the pain off and on ever since and too scared to have a hysterectomy. My mother had a bad hysto experience and I wanted no part of that. Now I also have beginning Endometriosis, constant pelvic pain from an enlarged uterus, have period pains so bad I can hardly stand it and my cycles are every 22 days. It seems to be taking over my life. Oh, lets add stress incontinence and need a Gynecare TVT. My fears of having a hysterectomy were loss of sex drive and weight gain. So I saw my Gyno and a UroGyno, both made me feel very comfortable with having this surgery. I came home and scoured the internet and much to my dismay I found all the horror stories about Hysto's and TVTs. I'm afraid that I will be trading the pain before hysto for another pain (after the TVT). I went back for another consultation and again the doc's calmed my fears and I felt better about the surgery.... I'm just very confused. Has anyone had a successful TVT? Do you still retain your sex drive after hysto? Will I regret this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 09:00 PM

I am still in waiting for my TAH, which is 03-06-08. I have however read alot of very successful stories of the hysterectomy. However, it is not always a cure for endo. Should take care of the adenomyosis though, since your uterus will be removed. Basically, I think that the decision to have or not to have a hysterectomy should be based on how tired you are of feeling the way you do. Unless of course it's an emergency situation. How much does your pain and discomfort effect your life. It really just depends on whether you think it's the best option for you, there are and always can be bad side effects or complications to having a hysterectomy, but you have to weigh the good and the bad, and see what you come up with. For me, I can't stand being in constant pain anymore. I have endo and possible adeno. I can't be a good mom, wife, or person with the way things are now. I have taken lots of different meds and none seem to work at all for me. For me, this is my only possibility to perhaps be the person I once was. Best wishes to you on finding the answers you need, and good luck in whatever decision you make!
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Hi JRC5:

Boy do you sound like me. I am having a LAVH and a TVT sling done on March 17. I have heard good stories and bad stories so I am not sure what to think. I am more nervous about the sling than the LAVH. I have had my preop yet so I don't know what kind of sling they are doing.

Let me know what you find out about anything. You are having your surgery before me so hopefully you can then give me some good advice.

Robyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 10:42 PM

Hi Lolee8,

First I wanted to say good luck on your surgery! The pain and problems associated with the adeno has invaded almost every aspect of my life as well. When I finally decided to go thru with the hysto is when my gyno mentioned seeing a urogyno for the SUI, now the TVT scares me more than the hysto. I really do trust my doctors and think this is the best thing for me. I understand there are always risks and only a very few suffer from major complications, however I'm usually that one in a million person. Again, good luck and hope that you will update us as to how you are doing post-op.
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:08 AM

forgive me for asking, but what is a TVT? I looked it up in the abbreviations and could not find it.
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:26 AM

TVT is Tension Vaginal Tape. It's tension free support for the bladder for women with stress urinary incontinence. Sounds like fun, huh? I "googled" it and found tons of info on it, some good - plenty bad, that's why I'm so freaked right now.

I see that you are scheduled for your surgery one day after me. Good luck and I hope you have a smooth recovery.
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM

I am having a TOT similiar to the TVT. My DR said due to my young age and the good condition of the vaginal walls the likyhood of having complications from this surgery is really small. Problems arise more in menoupausal (SP?) women when the tissue becomes less elastic and thin.

In the 10 years she has done these kinds of bladder ops she has had only 2 complications and both were minor. She has never seen the erosion of the mesh personally with the kind she uses and doesn't like mesh in does not use it for her A&P repairs.

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register