HRT and blood work -- will HRT affect blood test for hormone levels? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT and blood work -- will HRT affect blood test for hormone levels? HRT and blood work -- will HRT affect blood test for hormone levels?

Unread 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
HRT and blood work -- will HRT affect blood test for hormone levels?

At my 6 week post op, I was telling my doc about my horrible mood swings, graying hair, face breaking out, dry skin etc. He ordered blood work and started me on Premarin. Well, I have not heard back from him which is weird (He's always been on top of things like phone follow ups etc) well, he calls me back and asks how my urinary symptons are. I was confused because I was calling for my hormone blood work. Well, I guess when I had my follow up (I pee'd in the cup where they measure and they always send a sample) well, I have a mild UTI. Which explains why I feel like crap. I think it is worse now which I thought because it was because I had the hairbrained idea to go hiking to look at some waterfalls when DH & I went on a kid free island hop to Maui. Which I am sure did not help since I am still sore and my stomach looks like I am 4 months pregnant. Well, they lost my bloodwork which is why he did not call. When the results come back, it alerts him. No alert, he forgot LOL. He gave me microbid for 3 days and to go in Friday for another urinbe test and bloodwork. I have been taking the premarin so I asked if that would affect the results. He said it only stays in your system roughly 24 hours but I threw out Friday since that's when the antibotics would be over. Can I EVER get over these UTI's. The funny thing is I kinda felt like I had one but not enough to call. I feel like I keep calling and they will think I am looking for issues. Mostly if I drink more it feels better. But today my back is killing me and I think I caught a bug that makes everything feel worse. Other then that, I have been very lucky. No bleeding at all. Crampt sometimes but overall healed very good.

Do you think the blood work will be affected by the premarin even though I stopped it Monday and getting tested Friday? He had only given me a 30 day supply, so that's too why I called. I am over the post op so I don't know if I go back to my PM now or should I ask for the endrowhatever (Hormone dude) to manage the HRT since we have one at this hospital. UGGGGhhhhh, sorry so long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Hi,

Antibiotics have affected my estrogen levels in the past.

I have never quit my HRT for testing. The reason I get tested though, is to see what my levels are while on the HRT. We already know that they are too low without it. Is there a reason why you would want your hormone levels checked without HRT?

Are you already seeing an Endocrinologist for other issues? I see one for my PCOS, and she also manages my thyroid and HRT. If you don't have any other issues though, many Endocrinologists won't treat just for HRT so you would need to check with them before making the appointment.

Another thing to remember, is that this early in your recovery, your hormones may still be fluctuating from hormones that you have stored. It took me several months to deplete that supply.

Hang in there. Patience is important when looking for that :balanc: balance. It can take 6 weeks for our bodies to feel the full effect from any change in dose or method of HRT.

s,
Kay
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Well, I don't know really. He ordered the testing to see where I was before I started and gave me the premarin. Only gave me a 30 day supply and I was just waiting for the tests. I am confused LOL. You're right though, I know I need them. I just realized what a stupid question that was LOL.

One of my symptons is the brain fog (Can you tell?)

My PCm is an idiot. I bet I will have to go there though since my surgeon is well a surgeon. I am a military dep so I see who they tell me. I guess I will be asking for a new PCM. I would rather deal with someone who deals with HRT all the time versus once every so often.

Thanks for reading my rambling first post. I will make sure I tell them I am on the antibiotics.

Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register