white blood cell count | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

white blood cell count white blood cell count

Unread 02-28-2008, 09:37 AM
white blood cell count

ladies-
I had a white blood count of 15,000. I had been complaining to my gyn of lower left pelvic pain. He examined me and could not feel anything abnormal. Went to see family doc (she is the one who discovered elevated WBC. She immediately sent me for CT scan to check for abcess. CT came back normal. No found abcess, but 3.6 x 3 cm cyst or seroma on left ovary or region. She put me on a strong antibiotic for 10 days and then we rechecked my CBC. White cell count down a little 14,000. 10,000 or below is normal. I am now on another round of antibiotics (levaquin). I have no fever, no diarrhea or any other signs of infection. I do however, have some pain in my left lower pelvic area intermittently.

Went to gyn for ultrasound and he could not even see my ovaries????
I will go back to GP in two weeks to check CBC again. All other counts are normal.
I am going CRAZY with worry..... Any ideas?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM
white blood cell count

Hi (((belljbug))) I'm sorry you're having this trouble, and that it's so hard to find out what's causing it.

I can't tell what is causing your symptoms but wanted to relate what happened to me at about 3-4 weeks post op. I started having intermittent lower left abdominal pains and cycling fevers (up to 103 or 104, then down to 99 or so, then back up, etc - it cycled about twice a day). The pains seemed to be worse before a bowel movement and were lessened afterwards. It started over a weekend, so I called and got the DR on call, who told me to take Tylenol for the pain and fever. When I did, the fever would go down and then back up again (I think it going down was just a coincidence because the temp was cycling anyway).

I went in on Monday to see my DR. She was worried that I might have an abscess, but because I also told her the pain was worse (I thought) before a bowel movement, she called a friend and colleague who is a gastroenterologist. He told her to order bloodwork and an ultrasound, but to also put me on heavy antibiotics, order an abdominal CT scan and have me go see him immediately after the scan.

The bloodwork showed an elevated white count although not astronomical. The ultrasound showed nothing - absolutely nothing. In fact, the tech was upset that he couldn't see my ovaries - until I told them that if he read my chart he'd see they had been removed a month earlier! The CT scan showed an area that looked like it had a lot of diverticulae, and then a big inflamed area on the outside of my colon.

It turns out I had diverticulitis, and because it had taken so long to diagnose (thanks to the on-call telling me to waste two days just taking Tylenol), my colon had perforated. The infection was leaking through the layers of the wall and bulging out. It was an abscess, just not from anything that happened during the hysterectomy surgery itself.

It took a month on Cipro and Flagyl to get rid of the infection, because the area was large and there were no blood vessels that reached into it so the antibiotic had a hard time getting there. The gastroenterologist's theory is that I'd had diverticulosis for years, but the combination of the anesthesia stopping the GI activity for a few days followed by the very high fiber early post op diet had allowed an infection to take hold in one of the diverticulae, and as the wall became more and more inflamed eventually a small hole formed in it. I was very lucky indeed that it had abscessed, or I likely would not be here.

Ultimately, because the diverticulitis recurred, I ended up having most of my colon removed a year later, and no more problems with that.

I'm not suggesting you have exactly the same problem, but wanted to tell my story because it's an example of something not exactly caused by the surgery (but sort of) leading to similar symptoms. I was lucky that my GYN thought 'outside the box' and called her GI friend.

I would suggest asking if maybe a consult with a gastroenterologist and/or an abdominal CT scan, if you haven't done that yet, might be appropriate. I would not give up just yet on finding out what is causing the pain and elevated white count.

Good luck - I hope you are soon feeling much better!

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
white blood cell count

belljbug,

I had a WBC of 28,000 (well that's the only number I recall as I was so out of it) and I did have an abdominal abscess, in fact 2 large ones. The cure for it was a very extensive surgery only because mine got so out of hand and I was septic. My CT though only showed a mass around my left ovary. I don't know why it didn't show the true extent of what was going on. I think it is prudent to stay on the antibiotics and repeat that CT until the ovary no longer shows a problem. I did have a few CT's in the month after my original surgery for infections and the only regret I have now was to not have a last follow up one to ENSURE all was completely well.

I wish you well and that whatever is going on is easy to clear up!

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
white blood cell count

since youre on antibiotics and your wbc count dropped, i wouldnt worry too much. if you develop a fever or constant bad pain, you should definitely let your dr know.
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
white blood cell count

I had the same problem about 10 days post op. My WBC was 23,000. They admitted me into the hospital and did a CT scan and it showed nothing, just some fluid on my pelvis. They gave me very strong antibotics for 4 days and when I was fever free for 48 hours I could go home. I went home on very strong antibotics.

I started to feel better and then on 2/25/08 I got sick again. I was scared. I had a bladder infection. But the doctor said my WBC was normal. She said my immune system was so low that I might just catch everything out there. It didn't help much 1 day out of the hospital my dad was killed in a car accident which added more stress.

I am just SICK OF BEING SICK lately. I want to be me again. Anyone have problems with appetite? I am just not hungry much anymore.
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
white blood cell count

tweety - It is hard when you get the one, two, three sucker punch. That's what I got for sure. My appetite has been shot too. I have lost too much weight though and once sick and underweight it is hard to gain it back. Plus your body really needs good calories to heal, so try to find those things that you can tolerate. Try to eat small meals more often. I like the Muscle Milks also. They taste great. I get the chocolate one, the light version. I get the light becasue it only has 3 grams of sugar and with all the antibiotics, battling yeast is important. In any case each little chocolate milk has 20 grams of protien.

Vent away girl becaue I am sick of being sick also. I'll listen and commiserate any time.

Hugs,

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register