The worst part of recovery - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The worst part of recovery The worst part of recovery

Unread 02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
The worst part of recovery

I way over did it on Tuesday. I was feeling great so I vacumed, washed a few windows and the curtains, swept the floor and scrubbed it and changed the sheets on the bed, went grocery shopping and made dinner. And none of it bothered me. No pains or discomfort at all. Well, yesterday and today I'm back on Vicoden and sitting down all day. I really hope I did not do any internal damage! I will behave too from here on out. Huge lesson learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 04:25 PM

I hate that my incision opened back up and I have to have open wound management! It hurts like crazy. Also, not being able to pull up m y own pants! (Among other things)
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
6 Days Post Op

Partial vaginal hyst was on Feb 22, 2008. I came home on the 23rd and from that day forward had severe back pain - the kind where I couldn't move, couldn't sleep, etc. My IV was in my left hand and on the 23rd after arriving home my left hand and forearm swelled - all the way to the elbow.

I called my doc who told me to "give it 2-3 days" but that was pretty much it.

Last night my husband said we needed to go to the ER. Found out that I have a kidney infection, bladder infection, and an infection in my arm (a lot of heat and knots developed down the side of my arm). I am now on Lortab for pain (percocet only made me slightly fuzzy) and Cipro for the infections. So far my back pain has eased tremendously. Operating doc tried to say it was from the spinal block but it wasn't. I am so glad I didn't continue trying to just deal with the pain. Heating pads did me no good. Today I am able to adjust myself in bed/on the couch with minimal problems.

I really felt that the doc didn't seem to put much stock in my complaints and that is quite disappointing to me. Nonetheless, I am on the mend now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 06:38 PM

At almost 7 weeks post op and looking back, I would say the worst was the back pain from laying around. I think I've sort of blocked out the initial pain and discomfort right after surgery (funny how that works!). A close second would be the stomach muscle aches when I was first back up and around. The day after my first shopping trip with a grocery cart was probably the worst!
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM

I'm two weeks post-TAH and can't believe how TIRED I am every day. I sleep a lot, but still have no energy.
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Worst part of recovery

I'd have to say the worst part is the stabbing pains after urinating because that seems to be the after affect that is sticking around the longest. First BM was right up there with the worst. Mineral oil worked good to get bowel moving. Gas pain was horrific the second day after surgery. I guess there are a lot of "worsts". I'm just looking so forward to feeling better and enjoying the rest of my life with my hubby and kids.
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:24 PM

The worst part for me is wanting to get over it and back to normal and not being able to. A close second would be that I still have quite a bit of pain and no help for it. Doc did a CT scan yesterday and everything is fine so I have no proof for him that I am indeed still hurting alot. I had to go back to work this week (starting 4th week post-op) 8 hours a day. It's not too bad when I first get there but, by hour 3 all I want to do is lay down and get clothes off of my incision. Once you are back to work, your co-workers seem to be under the assumption that you are fine. So not true! On top of all the above, my bladder still bothers me and sleeping is always a fight.
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM

The worst part for me was the side effects of the pain meds. I was having horribly disturbing nightmares. And since I dream in color it was sooooo graphic. I was happy the pain didn't last long and I could dump my meds.
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:03 PM

I've just realized that there is a lot of women with the same pains after urinating that I have! I also have had a sore urethra and bladder 'cramps' at the end of p.
I did develop a UTI right after my surgery and after a course of antibiotics, think I'm better now... but the pain is something that had me wondering. Worst part for me was the 'operating gas' along with the gassy gas. Combined it made for a very painful few days.
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:09 PM

I think the worst thing for me was ans still is, I'm 8 weeks out but am still having issues with gas and constipation, or "the runs" I can't seem to have the "happy medium". It is gradually getting better, but there are still days that I can't eat or drink anything without having killer cramps with moving gas and stuff. The second would be the emotional parts of healing, the mood swings, the night sweats, the hot flashes. HRT has helped with the hot flashes and night sweats, but it's taking a little longer for the moodiness to subside, even with the anti depressants I already take. And talk about insomnia, I had it for about two weeks, but they too got better. At about 4 weeks I finally started getting more rest at night. Now I'm pretty much recovered, but I still get a little more tired than I should, but thats better than before because I was severely anemic.

God Bless and remember good things come to those who wait!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register