The worst part of recovery - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The worst part of recovery The worst part of recovery

Unread 02-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Bowel trouble

For those of you who are still having post op bowel problems try Avtivia yogurt by Dannon. It will help get things back to normal. I eat that and a couple of prunes daily and I have very little gas and no constipation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 07:24 AM
sooooooooooooooooo tired

Since I had a da vinci hyst, I thought I would bounce back easily but I am soooooooooooooooo tired and not sleeping. I am also having pain just above my belly button where one of the five incisions were made. Began driving this week and every other day I have to go to bed so obviously driving can wear me out. My 2 week checkup is on Monday so hoping doc can give me an idea of when I will be energized and ready to go.
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:50 AM
The worst part of recovery

Hi everyone,
I am 8 days post-op and the worst part for me, other than my just discovered (post surgery) allergy to aspirin and the subsequent vomiting and diarrhea, are just some occasional backaches at night which I think are the result of sitting up most of the day and a itchy belly. My bladder does feel weird after I urinate, but I guess that's part of the process. I really feel better than I thought I would, but I am still determined to take it slow and not become too excited and overdo it.

I am so grateful to God for healing and pray that you all are feeling better than ever soon!

peace and love to you all!
Sylvia - 51
TAH February 21, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 08:28 AM

OK. For me the gas and bowel pains..o yeah and the swelly belly is maddening. I also concur with the fatigue and lets add a new one ......the hair falling out of my head!
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:45 PM

How are you feeling now? I had a TVH and Bladder sling on Feb 20 I am still feeling very tired and achey in my vag area.
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:16 PM

To me the worst part of recovery was not being able to sleep on my stomach. I couldn't get comfortable. And the other part was getting the stomach flu 5 days after surgery.

Unread 03-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Lets see,been five years...but I DO remember the worst part for me too was the bowel pains...excruciating and made me actually nausious and throw up they were so bad. Stool softners didnt help much. I had the pain when i would start to urinate. Dr said it was spasms from trauma to bladder. They gave me some pills to help with the bladder spasms...HELPEd greatley. I remember thinking after this all passed i was HEALED...so i went and mowed the yard.....OMGosh...NOT. My stomach swole up and I hurt all night.SO dont go weeding any gardens too soon. It isnt worth it. Let yourself heal. I did end up few years after my hyst in ER under the knife because scar tissue and adhesions (or something)were wrapped around my bowel and it wasnt working. I got very ill...and at ER they said I had a "illius " in my bowel. Emergency surgery was needed to repair my bowel.UUGHHHHH. SO let all that stuff heal.Dont be overdoing it.
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:17 PM

Wow, what a great thread, thanks for asking! I am day 5 post-op and am amazed at the absolutely, mind blowing, excruciating pain with elimination of urine, feces and gas! And where else can one say such things? Thank God for this site as I really thought I was nuts until hearing from all of you. I just couldn't make myself do the first pee in the morning today even though it hurt and I knew I needed to go. I finally had to run water in the sink and eventually went a bit but it hurt and felt hot if that makes sense. Doc told me she spent an extra 30 min on my case peeling bladder off uterus (consequence of my four c/sections apparently) but I never thought I would have all this pain with it. Screamed all the way through the first bm and haven't had another despite loads of softeners. Catch 22 thing as the more I don't go, the more it will hurt but the more it hurts, the more I don't go. And my pain is sharp and stabbing through my labia and private parts (sorry, don't have a better term for everything down there). Amazing. Knowing all of you are making it helps me know I will get there. Thank you so much for sharing!
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Hi, I had some of the same problems you are having. My hysterectomy was lap. and vaginal on Valentine's day.

Mineral oil really helps for the bowel movements, stool softeners help once you get them going, but not so much at first. Mix the mineral oil in juice if you can't swallow it straight.

Also, I experienced those stabbing pains which felt like someone was stabbing a knife in my vagina after peeing. There is a drug you can get prescribed to numb the urethra for 3 days, so it will settle down. I didn't get the medication until 2 weeks after my surgery, but it really helped. So, call your doctor and ask if there is something he/she can prescribe. Those pains are horrible.

Hope this helps.
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM

I'm 6 days post op and the worst part so far has been the insomnia--paticularly for the last two nights. I've been waking up around 2:00 am and can't get back to sleep. Then the anxiety kicks in along with the hot flashes. I guess my body has realized that I no longer have ovaries. I left a message with my doctor and we'll go from there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register