The worst part of recovery - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The worst part of recovery The worst part of recovery

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
The worst part of recovery

brboatwright,

This may sound odd, but I am so glad to find out there is someone else loosing hair..ugh..what is that about?

My hair is thin enough thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Two weeks post-op

I'd have to say the worst part for me is the achiness in my abdomen..I hadn't had PMS symptoms since my last son was born but its exactly like that..coupled with the back pain from lying around. I make myself walk and I am very glad I do because it helps the gas work itself out..the swelly belly isn't pleasant either although almost gone its pins/needles feeling all the time is tiresome..
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM

I have noticed that my hair is growing more now since my surgery. I have to shave under my arms at least every 2 or 3 days now. and my hair on my head is thicker too. I guess it is just different for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Post-Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM
...so i went and mowed the yard.....OMGosh...NOT. My stomach swole up and I hurt all night.SO dont go weeding any gardens too soon. It isnt worth it. Let yourself heal. I did end up few years after my hyst in ER under the knife because scar tissue and adhesions (or something)were wrapped around my bowel and it wasnt working. I got very ill...and at ER they said I had a "illius " in my bowel. Emergency surgery was needed to repair my bowel.UUGHHHHH. SO let all that stuff heal.Dont be overdoing it.

My doc told me to do absolutely nothing - don't pick up anything off the floor, don't pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk, don't try to sweep with a broom, etc. She said if I did any of those things I would end up back in surgery because of scar tissue connecting to bowels, etc. She said the pain would be horrible. I have been tempted to do certain things that I shouldn't simply because I am feeling so much better - I am 11 days post-op - but I most definitely will not after reading your experience. I am so sorry you had to go through that pain. It must have been horrible.
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
No sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgvfan
I'm 6 days post op and the worst part so far has been the insomnia--paticularly for the last two nights. I've been waking up around 2:00 am and can't get back to sleep. Then the anxiety kicks in along with the hot flashes. I guess my body has realized that I no longer have ovaries. I left a message with my doctor and we'll go from there.
I am 11 days post-op. For the first 8 days I experienced the insomnia too. I have never in my life had trouble sleeping. First I would wake up at all hours of the night, unable to go back to sleep. Then it turned into not falling asleep until 1 or 2 in the am. When I actually did sleep I would wake up soaking wet from sweat.

I still have my ovaries but have learned that the impact of surgery itself on my body, as well as hormonal changes have contributed to this. My first full night's sleep was on night 9. I woke up feeling SO refreshed and thankful for the good night's rest. Same for night 10. Hang in there. Hopefully your body will start to readjust and figure out how to get back into your normal sleep pattern!
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM

I'm almost two weeks post op and the absolute worst for me were the first 5 days of complete and utter pain inside and out. After day 5 things got progressively better and now I just have a little ache, some itching inside my vagina which is really just annoying and frustrating, the weird bladder feelings, and the fatique, but all those other things combined cannot compare one iota to even one days worth of pain during those first five days. It was worth living through that however - I got rid of pains that I didn't even know I had because I was so "used" to them.
Unread 03-04-2008, 03:07 PM
No sleep

HDS,

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing. My doctor told me to take Unisom so we'll see how that goes.
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
The Best is yet to come!

I know we are all going through a lot of things right now, but when I think about the tons of blood I've lost and all of the pain from my bimonthly periods this is just a small price to pay for those 4 1/2 years of hell. I'm so excited thinking about how I will be able to stand up without clots falling out (sorry to be so graphic) and that I can throw away the pampers I used for pads! The best words I've heard in a long time were when my dr. said after surgery "no more periods" I wanted to jump for joy!

So ladies, the best is yet to come! We can do it!
Unread 03-05-2008, 08:36 AM

Poetsna1...I was saying to my dh this morning about how much $ I was going to save not having to buy pads/tampons anymore..ugh..and all that doubling up and skulking to the bathroom every hour at work..BYE BYE BLAHS..I'm totally with you!!!
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM

You are right--it IS the worst part of recovery. I am now starting week 6 post-op and things are just starting to return to normal. You can expect to feel your bowel movements move through your abdomen, and it can hurt. I posted this topic a couple of weeks ago and I got many wonderful and helpful replies...it seems everyone deals with this issue.
My advice is to try and stay off the pain meds if you aren't already off of them. They really contribute to the problem.
Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register