Numb incision at 1 week - staples gone last week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Numb incision at 1 week - staples gone last week Numb incision at 1 week - staples gone last week

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Numb incision at 1 week - staples gone last week

I had a TAH, low bikini cut with staples removed 2 days later and steri strips. They had a lot to do in there so I'm sore inside. Incision looks good, feels ok, but the skin around it is "numb", no tactile sensation, is this normal?
I know they cut through a lot of nerves, but shouldn't there be some sensation by now? Maybe I'm lucky it doesn't itch yet?
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM

Very normal. It takes a long time for the nerves to heal. If I remember correctly it was numb for months to some degree. Felt strange to lean on it (like against the bathroom sink) for over a year.
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:38 AM

I am one month out and still quite numb, esp. right by the belly button.
I had vert. incision from belly button down to you know where.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:46 AM

I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and my bikini incision is still quite numb as well. I'm wondering when I will be able to sleep on my belly again.
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm still numb at 7 months post op and my Dr. told me that some of the numbness may remain. It's just in certain areas on my belly. I itch but can't scratch it because I can't feel the scratch. It does take time for the nerves to heal and some of them won't. Sorry.
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:05 PM

wow, thanks everyone. from a week to forever, well I hope they come back and mend one day at least.
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM

There will always be some numbness in my opinion. My last C-section was 27 years ago and I experienced numbness where my incision is for all of those 27 years. I would also get the itchiness and not be able to scratch it. It always drives me crazy. I have been so numb after my hysterectomy that I thought at first he had numbed the area with novacaine and it just hadn't worn off. There is more numbness now than with my C-sections. Too bad the numbness doesn't extend to my areas of pain I am still having. I could live with that .
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:58 PM

I'm 3 weeks post-op and still feel the numbness. It feels so weird especially since my dr. was touching me around my incision 2 days post-op and I couldn't feel it.
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Definitely normal. Six months and counting.
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM

shep337, I had my surgery the same day as you. I am numb all over my pubic region and partly on one leg. It is a weird feeling. I asked my Dr and she said it might take up to 6 months for the numbness to go. I have had a caesarean and was left with a small amount of permanent numbness at one end of the scar (about as big as your thumb) so I'm hoping this is similar and feeling will return to most if not all of the area.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register