Acne and rash | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Acne and rash Acne and rash

Unread 02-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Acne and rash

I have always been blessed with clear skin. Always. From the time of puberty through now (age 38) I have rarely ever had acne except when pregnant with my now fifteen year old.

Since my surgery on the 18th of February (also when I began wearing the estrogen patch) my face has gone haywire. I have a rash on my upper lip and on my chin. I, of course, have been picking at the rash since it's more like extremely dry skin than anything. So, now it appears that I've picked and picked and picked enough to have caused major redness and soreness. I know, I know... leave it alone.

But, the real issue is along my jaw line where acne is running rampant. I have very large blemeshes... several of them. This is so unusual to me.

I did ask my doctor about this on Tuesday when I got my staples out and he simply said to give it some time. I'm looking for opinions on whether this has happened with anyone else once they began wearing the patch.

Sorry for the length of this post. I hope everyone is doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Acne and rash

Hey Subway!

I'm an aesthetician so maybe I can help.

The area you are discribing is your "hormonal zone"...especially at the jawline. Hormonal upheaval most definitly causes this kind of acne and unfortunately you probably will have to wait it out. 3-6 months is normal...sorry.

That doesn't mean there isn't anything you can do to keep it as calm as possible. What kind of acne are you having? Is it cystic like knots under the skin or is it pustual and red? Are you totaly covered or is it spread out? You mentioned your lip and picking at it...STOP PICKING!! lol. Besides the fact that you could very easily scar yourself right now you're also possibly spreading that bacteria around your face AND did you also know that we carry staph under our fingernails and at the very entrance to our nostrils!!!?? The last thing you need right now is a pretty staph infection to go with that ance.

If you can provide me with more info on the type of acne and what you're using for skin care at the moment I might be able to help you find something that will work for you. Not trying to sell you anything...you can probably find what you need at the drug store but it's important that you get whats right for you. If you prefer to discuss this through pms that's fine with me.

kk
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Acne and rash

Oh, KK thanks for the information. I don't have any problems discussing this hear in hopes that it will help someone else.

I will stop picking. I promise you that. The acne I have is spread out along the jaw line and they are large but are empty. They are red and hard but don't have anything in them... they never come to a head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Acne and rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway55
Oh, KK thanks for the information. I don't have any problems discussing this hear in hopes that it will help someone else.

I will stop picking. I promise you that. The acne I have is spread out along the jaw line and they are large but are empty. They are red and hard but don't have anything in them... they never come to a head.

Okay, so you have true hormonal acne. The cysts are inflamed and what bit of oil you may have can't reach the surface so the folicle swells and occasionally ruptures. The key is to keep it calm. Cool compresses can help. Some clients I know have used chamomile tea bags (boil them them let them cool in the fridge) but cold wet washrags from the fridge (not the freezer) work really well.

Also go to the drug store and find a cleanser with 2%salycilic acid (a personal favorite of mine is Nutragena deep Pore Cream Cleanser) and nothing with beads or scrubing action. The s.a. is anti inflamitory and works far better for this type of acne than AHA's and pro-active type products. The key is to not over do it...keep it calm. Get a basic cleanser...cetaphil, purpose etc and use that as your main cleanser and make-up remover. 3-4 times a week in the morning use the s.a. cleanser. Remember this is NOT (for the most part) the same as bacterial acne so don't go for deep cleansing heating masks or clay masks to draw stuff out...there's nothing to draw out.

Another thing that seems to work well for many clients is a morning tea of hot water and fresh lemon juice. Drink it first thing when you get up before coffee or breakfast. It acts as a mini detox to help flush excess hormones out of your system.

I would also suggest that you keep your diet as clean and free from added hormones and antibiotics (found in most non organic animal products although read the lables.) as well as sugar and processed foods. Sugar is inflamitory and processed foods have so many additives that your body is busy trying to figure out how to eliminate the crap that it can't focus on balancing your system.

I know it's a long post...sorry. I hope at least some of this helps. Keep me posted and feel free to ask me anything.

xoxoxo
kk
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Acne and rash

Hollyanne, thank you so much for posting this and KK, thank you so much for your very informative and helpful answer!

I have had the same issue with bumps along my jawline for a couple of years now... I think it started when my thyroid started acting up. Of course, doctors didn't give me any help and I've never heard the term "hormonal acne". Once I started taking thyroid meds, the bumps went away and my skin was very smooth and soft. THEN came the hysterectomy in December and I'm right back to having bumps.

I'm going to try everything you mentioned in your note, KK. Thank you so much for the tips!
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Acne and rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline_TX
I'm going to try everything you mentioned in your note, KK. Thank you so much for the tips!
My pleasure.

Remember that this acne is from an imbalance in your body. While it's important to care for it and soothe it from the outside, what you do for it on the inside is going to make a world of difference. If you can't seem to get it under control with these tips then I would suggest you see a nutritional consultant or accupuncturist for more in depth help. Balancing the imbalanced is what they do!

xoxoxo
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
DDF for Acne

Subway 55,
I too broke out after my hysterectomy. Let me tell you what works beautifully. DDF (Doctors Dermalogical Formula) 10% Glycolic Gel w/ 2%Sacylic Acid Exfoliating Gel. My goodness it works! I have somewhat dry sensitive skin, and it doesn't give me a problem. I use it after I wash my face and before applying moisturizer. It has worked so well on me, I bought some for all three of my teenage sons to use and now everyone has clear skin. You can buy it at www.sephora.com Good luck to you.
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Acne and rash

I have no advice, just jealousy that you've always had clear skin! I'm 42 and have never really stopped breaking out. Yes, it's a hormonal imbalance, too much testosterone in my body among other issues, but man is it annoying! Since it's been going on for 30 years I'm used to it. Just wanted to say :P

Roberta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register