Three days post op, gas pain is unbearable | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three days post op, gas pain is unbearable Three days post op, gas pain is unbearable

Unread 02-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Three days post op, gas pain is unbearable

Well its done!For the most part things went pretty smooth. Except I had a reaction to morphin. my skin became so itchy I thought I would scream.
I had great nurses and a very wonderfull DR. I am sore and woreout. The worst part of this whole deal has been the gas pain...I was on a liquid only diet for the two days after, urination was very painfull at first. but I could not have anything to eat because they heard almost no bowel sounds and I was not passing any gas, They gave me colace and a emema...still nothing. I also walked the halls trying to get things moving. I finally had a very small amount of a liquid bowel movement. so they gave me solid meal for breackfast and because I was able to keep it down they sent home....I wokeup at midnight with gas pains all the way up in my neck and shoulder, I am so bloated. How do I get rid of this gas.
P.s. I still dont know all the abreveations or how to sign out with my procedure. I hade a total abdominal hysterectomy, they took both overys and had a 4cm mass removed multiple attachments (endometrosis) to my bowels and bladder. Please excuse the spelling and tpying skills, I would like to blame it on the pain meds but the truth is I stink at it!lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Kimmy:
Right below the tabs at the top is "Control Panel" Go into that and then on the left hand side you can edit your signature. Have someone get you Gas-X from Walgreens and I also got Phillips Stool Softener... Do not get a laxative as this will make you strain and hurt more. Your abbreviation is
TAH/BSO (Total abdominal Hyst. /Bilateral-Salpingo Oophorectomy)
Some of the gas is from the surgery and that will take a few days to subside... Walking is the best thing for that... Good luck .
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:54 PM

I suggest some walking. What also helped me at the hospital was prune juice and taking Dulcolax daily. The anesthesia and the pain meds slowed down your bowels so hopefully it will wear off soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 06:07 AM

I have heard that resting on your left side can help release gas. Also sipping on a warm tea. Walking also helps.
I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:22 AM

SAME HERE!

I had LAVH on the same day and have had plenty of gass-y ness to last a life time but, only a little bit of poop. ((I know TMI)) but, like 1 table spoon and feel like I am going to expload. I am taking a lative once in the morning and
Gas-x as needed. I am walking and walking some more.
Hope it passes soon!
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Try this for gas: get caraway seeds 1tsp- crush seeds ( put in one of those tea balls or a little bag of cheesecloth) add boiling water - let the "tea " steep for 10-15 minutes. Drink the tea This worked for me ---a remedy a friend from germany learned while hospitalized there this fall. Also- just plain hot water or hot water with a little lemon will work. Walk around and lift arms, swing them a bit. I know it is excruciating. Mine finally went away 2 weeks after surgery. Good luck
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Hi!
I an LAVH 5 weeks and 2 days ago, and had the same gas problems, you can feel it in your shoulders and they tell you to walk, but when you do, it is so painful you physically shudder! In the hospital they gave me some chalky stuff which did not work. I sent my father to the pharmacy to fill my prescription and ask the pharmacist, who is a friend of mine, what I could take that would work, and work FAST!!! She told him to get PHAZYME, take 2 and that would work. Well 20 minutes later I felt great!!! I struggled with this horrific gas pain for 2 days before I took those! Good luck, and I hope you get relief soon! I DO know how you feel!
Lee-Anne
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Caraway seed and also fennel seed boiled are both good. They are often used for colic in Babies! If it's good for babies it's gotta be good for us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register