new fibroid treatment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new fibroid treatment new fibroid treatment

Unread 07-22-2001, 10:09 PM
new fibroid treatment

Probably a lot cheaper and easier on you than surgery, although pity the poor gynecologist emptying his pockets trying to pay the mortgage...

from Yahoo Health News at
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...fibroid_1.html

Osteoporosis Drug Found to Shrink Uterine Fibroids

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A drug prescribed to help women maintain bone density may provide another benefit to women after menopause, the results of a new study suggest. The drug raloxifene also shrinks noncancerous uterine growths called fibroids, researchers in Italy report.

Fibroids are benign growths of muscle and fibrous tissue that form in the wall of the uterus. At least 20% of all women aged 35 and older develop fibroids, and they tend to be more common among blacks than whites. Fibroids can cause a variety of symptoms, including heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding, pain and frequent urination.

Much of the time, fibroids do not need to be treated, but they can be surgically removed in a procedure called myomectomy. Hysterectomy--the complete removal of the uterus--is another treatment option for fibroids.

The cause of the growths is unknown, but the female sex hormone estrogen is thought to increase the size of fibroids. Fibroids generally shrink as a woman goes through menopause and her exposure to estrogen declines. Because of this, many gynecologists are reluctant to prescribe hormone replacement therapy to postmenopausal women with the growths.

Raloxifene, marketed as Evista by Eli Lilly and Co., is known as a selective estrogen receptor modulator. This means it behaves much as estrogen does in certain tissues such as bone, but not in others, including the breasts and uterus. The drug was originally approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites) to prevent the brittle-bone disease osteoporosis.

To test the effects of raloxifene on uterine fibroids that persist after menopause, Dr. Stefano Palomba of the University of Catanzaro, Italy, and colleagues studied the drug in 70 postmenopausal women with the growths. Half of the women received twelve 28-day cycles of the drug and half received an inactive placebo.

The researchers began noticing a difference in the women's fibroids after six cycles of the drug, according to their report in the July issue of the journal Fertility and Sterility. By that time, fibroids had shrunk significantly in more than 40% of women taking the drug. By the end of raloxifene therapy, fibroids had decreased in size in about 84% of the women.

In contrast, the size of fibroids stayed the same in women on placebo.

Women taking raloxifene were more likely to experience side effects, such as hot flashes and leg cramps, but no one in either group dropped out due to side effects. There were no differences in bleeding, including excessive uterine bleeding, between the two groups.

``Our data show that (raloxifene) is safe and effective in postmenopausal women affected by uterine (fibroids),'' Palomba's team concludes.

``These data open a chance of a possible treatment of fibroids by the use of drugs acting selectively on estrogen-sensitive tissues,'' Palomba told Reuters Health.

He suggested that other gynecological diseases, including endometriosis, might be treated with similar therapies.

SOURCE: Fertility and Sterility 2001;76:38-43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2001, 09:03 PM
new fibroid treatment

Antenna, thank you so much for posting this information. Wish this study had been published when I was looking for alternatives to my hyst
Unread 07-24-2001, 10:33 AM
Re: new fibroid treatment

[quote]Originally posted by antenna

Much of the time, fibroids do not need to be treated, but they can be surgically removed in a procedure called myomectomy. Hysterectomy--the complete removal of the uterus--is another treatment option for fibroids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The one thing that NEVER gets clarified when a myomectomy is mentioned is that fibroids CAN grow back. I saw something about this on a news program and it wasn't even mentioned about the probability of them coming back.

My doctor gave me this option but I shot it down because I didn't want to keep having myomectomies every year. As it turns out, I had so many small fibroids on my uterus, this wouldn't have been effective for me anyway. I just want people to be aware that even though a myomectomy is an alternative measure (and a good choice for women still wanting children) most of the time, fibroids can grow back.

Nasty little buggers fibroids are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2001, 02:06 PM
new fibroid treatment

Im sure depending on where you are at in your life cycle,your treatment options vary.Im 41 done with kids so hyst.is my #1 choice.Now if i was in my childbearing yrs i would have opted for something different but what i didnt like about the myo and lupron and really all the rest is#1 the chance of them growing back is high,when you stop the oral meds they grow back in many cases .Seemed like a bandaid affect to me.I have this weird feeling too regarding my fibroid....its NOT supposed to be there and i for one was very uncomfortable with the wait and see approach,,hey just my opnion.I opted to get it done and overrrr with once and for all!!Thats the beauty though at least we have options.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register