Swelly Belly vs. Weight Gain.. How would we know the difference? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly vs. Weight Gain.. How would we know the difference? Swelly Belly vs. Weight Gain.. How would we know the difference?

Unread 03-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Swelly Belly vs. Weight Gain.. How would we know the difference?

OK, here is a question I have not seen posted, could the AIR that they used to inflate our abdomens during the surgery, have moved things around inside?, as in re-shifted things, what is left, I mean??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
My limited experience

...with swelly belly is that when I came home from the hospital after eating very very little for four days I had gained 8 lbs! I was upset about that..however, it didn't take long & I was down 12 lbs, so a total loss of 4 lbs.

For me its uncomfortable to wear my bra in the afternoon because the swelly belly does swell more...I notice it goes to my hip bones also and all the 'way round' feeling. It does get better with exercise although I am only at the walking stage now being 11 days post-op..but it makes me feel like I'm doing something about it..and it makes me feel good

I find unhealthy food will make me swell up more in the tummy than when I eat healthy so I'm trying to watch that very much considering everything is trying to find its new home..

I think we have to be patient with ourselves..nothing worth having is easy ladies...

Take care & keep on keeping on!!
Unread 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM

I don't know about the air...but obviously when they take the uterus out, other things end up moving around ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM

I put on weight, from lounging around, getting the munchies. I'm guessing we must be holding some fluid weight as our bodies have been "traumatically assaulted". At least that is the story I'm telling myself. I will admit, I'm at week 6 and getting really tired of my sweat pants!! I never thought THAT would happen!!
Unread 03-01-2008, 05:28 PM

JillClair66, Congratulations on returning to the gym. I'm looking very forward to that day! I just caught that your hometown is in Southern Illinois! I went to college at McKendree and my uncle and aunt lived in O'Fallon for years. My uncle taught at the high school forever. Hope you continue to do well. Good luck!
Unread 03-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Hi Ladies!

Just checked the site today to see if I could help answer some questions. I am 6 months post op from my hysterectomy, and I know it helps to hear from someone that is ahead of you in the healing process. That being said, I had a really bad swelly belly for the first several weeks. It did get better, but even now my stomach is still bigger than it was before. But I did have a few problems during my surgery and my doctor said I was worked over good. So that could be one reason why. I am able to wear my jeans and the same size as before surgery now. Also I'm a few pounds lighter. After surgery I gained about 5 pounds, but I really think it was just from swelling. Keep your chins up! It does get better

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register