Feeling woozy from liquid diet??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling woozy from liquid diet??? Feeling woozy from liquid diet???

Unread 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Feeling woozy from liquid diet???

Hi Everyone.

I'm new, scheduled for TAH March 10. Like most eveyone, I'm very nervous about it all. I've been lurking on this site for awhile and have gotten lots of helpful information. It's time for me to post my own question.

I have to do a clear liquid diet and bowel prep the day before surgery. Normally if I don't eat (especially in the morning) I feel weak and shaky and eventually sick to my stomach. It's not just hunger pangs, those I can deal with. This isn't something new, I've always been like this.

I've never had just liquids all day and wonder if I'll feel woozy and sick. I will talk to my ob-gyn when I go for pre-op next week. I guess I just want to know if anyone else had this problem or had suggestions for getting through the day.

thanks, Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 03:31 PM

I get very sick if I don't eat. When I had my surgery (small one) in December I didn't think I could go the day of without food or liquids since my surgery wasn't scheduled until 1 PM. I got through it with no problem because I was so scared.

I haven't done my pre-op yet for my TAH so I'm not sure what he's going to have be do, but maybe your doctor can suggest liquids that will make you feel full? I'm just going to sleep if he tells me to do a liquid diet the day before too. LOL
Unread 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Hi ladies.

I am a plus size sister so you know liquid diet was foreign for me.

I picked things like jello and broth so that I would feel like I really was having a meal. I just alternated between them and was fine. As a matter of fact, my and my hospital have a policy of liquid diet after surgery until you pass and it took me almost 5 days to make it happen. I was fine.

Because you have a "history" of getting woozy etc if you don't eat, I'd certainly mention it to the so that they can possibly modify your instructions.

Blessings on you ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks, you made me laugh Renee. Somehow just having another person (or two) say they were fine makes it a little easier. You are probably right, I'll be so nervous it won't matter if I eat or not. If my crazy cat will let me, I will also plan on sleeping as much as I can.

Sue
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM

I don't suppose, if you melted white chocolate, it would be considered a clear liquid.
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio6x
I don't suppose, if you melted white chocolate, it would be considered a clear liquid.
Nice try, but I figure if our sisters who suggested gin and vodka could not get away with that - white chocolate (one of my favorites) would be out of the question.

It's amazing just how limited clear liquid can seem before you start it. Let me just say that by the time you start your bowel prep and your love affair with the - you will forget all about clear liquids.

On a serious note though - as you are doing the bowel prep - please keep drinking so that you do not get dehydrated.
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Gin and Vodka, hmmm...
There does seem to be a common thread running through all stages, and that is drink, drink, and drink some more. Yes I know, water.
Somehow the bowel prep didn't really worry me, I guess I better have my magazines at the ready.
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Chicken broth is great!! You can just warm up a can and drink or sip it with a spoon. It fills you up, gives you the feeling that you have eaten, at least for a little while, and is yummy too. I too get sick when I don't eat, but I have chicken broth quite often as lunch. Good luck!
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:00 PM

I was planning on chicken broth, just wasn't sure if it would feel like food. I usually have chicken with rice soup for lunch. And actually there isn't much chicken or rice in it, so I know I'm worrying too much.
Unread 03-01-2008, 08:46 AM

I had chicken broth, water, jello, Italian ice, and a variety of clear liquids the day before surgery and still ended up dehydrated. I was drinking water until 11:00 PM. The nurse who prepped me for surgery said, "oh, you must have done a bowel prep." They pumped me with fluids and I was re-hydrated by the next day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register