Male OBGYN with a female name - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Male OBGYN with a female name Male OBGYN with a female name

Unread 03-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Male OBGYN with a female name

When I log into my Insurance page online (we no longer have hard copies of doctors) you can specify gender when looking for a new doctor... I personally have had both and as long as they are caring , and compassionate and take the time to listen to my concerns, I am happy with them. It is a very personal decision and ultimately you need to feel comfortable with your physician to get the best care you can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 01:29 PM

I don't think any doctor should have to disclose his/her gender - it shouldn't really be part of the decision making process. I CAN see how someone would have a preference, but how would you compare a male doctor with a competence of 10 vs a female with a competence of 8 ? equal ? not me I'll take the more competent every time.

the only time the gender of a doctor was an issue for me was with my first vaginal ultrasound. The doctor, who I had never met before, did the scan himself (I had seen the nurse practictioner for the regular exam) -- and he was THE MOST GORGEOUS MAN I've ever seen in my life !!!!

I had to close my eyes to keep from staring; I'm certain I blushed. That was 5 years ago and I only saw that dr that one time (he moved to a different area) but that ultrasound will always be my most memorable LOL
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Greetings!

After reading all of your replies, I want to say 'Thank you' to all of you who supported the idea, that women have to make their decisions based on what is best for them. We are all individuals and have varying experiences in life.

The replies were very interesting indeed...some very lighthearted as well! I hope you will all make decisions with what's best for you.

Best wishes........"Smooth sailing for all of you as you heal."

Take care.

Peace, Irish Bridie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM

I just HAVE to add my 2 cents.... I have had breast cancer and because of that I have a slew of Doctors, 6 in fact and they are all FEMALES!!!!!!! My first B.C. doctor that preformed my mastectomy was a male and although good had horrible bedside manner. He left and his replacement was a female and I was so happy. So now, not a male in sight for me and I am very pleased with my care. Funny thing, I didn't even think about it until this post. So Irish one, you do what is best for you and you have every right to be upset that the you thought it was a female and it wasn't. It's not his fault, he's not being deceptive, but it is upsetting. Peace to you in return.
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:03 PM

My sister is one that is uncomfortable with a male doctor. I however have had both. The doctor that I have now, I went to because I was told he was the best. He has proven that over and over. You are a family member to him, not a patient. I have never been comfortable around any gyn until now. He's young too. Only five years older than me. He listens, he answers completely, and it's just never uncomfortable no matter what the issue. I've always hated the way the other doctors just got to "work". He's always talking during the exams and everything. Explains everything he's doing. If he ever leaves town, I'm in big trouble.
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Hi Hystersisters!

Thank you for the 2 new, interesting replies! I appreciate you taking the time to write!

You are sweet! Smiles to you.......

Hugs, Irish Bridie
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM

I'm just wondering why a lesbian doctor is any more of a big deal than a straight male doctor. Seems there shouldn't be an issue. Just because a woman is a lesbian doesn't mean she's a predator. A doctor is a doctor, regardless of gender, sexual orientation or anything else.

Roberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmb1991
I don't think he should have to advertise that he is a male. Are you going to ask your female doctor if she is a lesbian? I found out that a resident that assisted in one of my deliveries was. That is a much bigger deal to me. I think that is something that should be said upfront before any appt is made. I'm sure there are good female doctors out there somewhere, but I have never found one. Men, in my opinion are much better at caring for women in general. That is how God designed them.
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBr
I think it's unfortunate that this is even an issue. I have had lots of different doctors over my lifetime, some for embarrassing problems other than gyn, and have never preferred one gender over the other.

I think it's rather sexist to have a preference, and in a sort of turnaround, it is the patient who prefers one over the other that is bringing sex into the equation. A doc is not there to look at you sexually, he or she is there to look at you medically. Just like you wouldn't want a random stranger looking up your nose, but you let a doc do that.

As for temperament and understanding, I have had some cold-hearted female doctors and nurses, and some warm and caring male doctors and nurses. I think it depends on the kind of person the doctor is, not their gender.

But to get back to your original duscussion...

I don't see why the office staff would have to mention the doctor's gender just because his name is different from what one would expect. I suppose it would be no different than a doctor whose name was from a language you were not familiar with, and you wouldn't necessarily know what was a female name and what was a male name.
You have a pet kangaroo. You have a choice of two veterinarians. Both have studied kangaroos, but one actually has a pet kangaroo of her own. Which would you prefer to treat your kangaroo--the man who's rather extensive knowledge is all second hand, or the woman who knows what it's like to live with one?
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Very well said Arlynn, it was awesome and right to the point. I also agree with nofrills and don't understand why the lesbian stuff was brought into this anyway. Irish bride made a simple point that I don't feel was in any way taking away from the dr's ability, just that she wanted a female and was confused by the name. In order to not have that happen to her again she was asking what others thought, she wasn't looking for whether or not she was wrong feeling that way, just suggestions on how to handle it in the future. Am I correct Irishbride?
Unread 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM

I'm not Irish Bridie, but do believe you're right, WVU.

Now, let me answer the original question...

Hmmm, I wonder if the staff has suggested he use his middle name, assuming he has one. My doc uses his middle name and all the paperwork has his First initial, middle and last names. For whatever reason, he doesn't like or use his first name. Maybe this is an option for that doc.

Can you suggest this?

Roberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuvavt
Very well said Arlynn, it was awesome and right to the point. I also agree with nofrills and don't understand why the lesbian stuff was brought into this anyway. Irish bride made a simple point that I don't feel was in any way taking away from the dr's ability, just that she wanted a female and was confused by the name. In order to not have that happen to her again she was asking what others thought, she wasn't looking for whether or not she was wrong feeling that way, just suggestions on how to handle it in the future. Am I correct Irishbride?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register