How does your abdomen feel at 6 weeks post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How does your abdomen feel at 6 weeks post-op? How does your abdomen feel at 6 weeks post-op?

Unread 03-01-2008, 08:49 AM
How does your abdomen feel at 6 weeks post-op?

Hi everyone,

I had a TAH, kept ovaries, and appendectomy.

I'm almost 4 weeks post op and am starting to FINALLLY feel really good. Phew! But, my abdomen is STILL sooooo tender to touch. I don't like anything pressing on it, so I still wear sweats and baggy things on the bottom. My tummy is also still a little swollen, but it's not as bad as it was the first 3 weeks

Anyway, I'm wondering how long it takes for your abdomen to no longer be tender to touch or press on it? Does it still hurt (to press or touch) at 6 weeks post-op? If so, how much longer past 6 weeks does it feel that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Hi LTR,
I'm at 6 weeks and still have some swelling. Some areas are more tender than others (below the incision) and the area around the incision is still numb. Most the swelling is above the incision. I can wear lower cut jeans loosely, but spend most my time in lounge pants. I have some Docker Metro Pants that fit comfortably in my pre op size and I will be wearing those to work next week. I also got a pair of tummy support panties that I will wear over granny panties to help with the swelling later in the day and give me support while I work (on my feet a lot). I've read posts the swelling can come and go for many months depending on your activity. Hopefully a sister will be along who can help with the long-term swelling report. (Hopefully, there is no long term swelling!!) Best wishes on your continued recovery!!
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:06 AM

This is an interesting question because I am 7 weeks post-op and I went from numb to perfectly fine.

For the first 2 1/2 weeks, my abdomen was numb to the touch. They say that is from being cut and now everything is trying to reconnect itself. By the time I went for my first follow-up appointment at 18 days, the numbness had gone away and I was fine.

What I thought was swelly belly was actually the "fluffiness" that I came into this grand and wonderous adventure with. I am a plus size sister so it was really hard for me to know what I was dealing with.

What I now realize is that I don't have periods where my abdomen is more swollen then others - which leads me to believe this is what I entered the party with.

I actualy wish it was swelly belly because I would have an excuse. Now I just have to start working to get rid of my roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 01:01 PM

I've got 9 wks. under my belt and the incision doesn't hurt to touch, nor is it sore. The numbness is just above and in the middle, it was all the way across to start.
The swelling is minimal and it's about 2" above incision, that has went down some in the past 2 wks. It's about 3/4" out, which isn't to bad.
What amazes me is that when I run my fingers across my ab muscle, there is still some good soreness. Most of it has definelty went away, and it gets better every week.

My calculations is when all the soreness goes away, then the swelling will follow. I AM NOT a doctor it's just my wishful overthinking little foggy brain in action.

Try not to laugh at my measurements in detail: I married a carpenter....it's all his fault.

I think we are all doing pretty good, keep posting on the updates. That's what gets me through.
Unread 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Glad there are other carpenter's ladies here!! LOL!!!
I'm at my 6 week point and my incision area is semi-numb. My abdomen in general is swelly...it gets swelly-er as the day goes on and as a result, also gets more tender as the day goes on. I tried wearing my jeans (relaxed fit) and I'm still too tender. Yeah, Renee, I'm kinda disappointed that I still have that roll I thought would go away after the surgery! HAHHAAH...
I'm getting back to my Weight Watchers meetings.
God bless you all for being here, you are helping my "blues" of the day go away!
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM

I'm almost 6 wks and feel really sore if I do too much physically. Even just walking around. I went to the grocery store yesterday and the cart barely bumped my tummy and it hurt! It has not been that sensitive since my first week! I know I am going stir crazy and want to heal NOW, but can't force things. The hospital bills keep just rolling in and I still can't work much, so that is the worst part. (my insurance is trying to not pay)

And, I notice when I eat anything containing sodium, my swelling gets much more noticeable! I retain about 10lbs of water if I eat soup for example, and it's frustrating, because I still can't eat too many solid foods or I get constipated and have intestinal spasms. Hopefully, we will all be feeling good by summer and all this junk will be a distant memory...
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM

I am six weeks out from a TAH and appendectomy. I feel good, no pain at my incision. I do seem to not have as much energy as I normally do. Best of luck to you and God Bless.
Unread 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM

My incisions hurt also. My 8 inch incision from my spine surgery started to hurt also. Yes it is on my stomach. My tummy sort of looks like a face. 2 eyes, long nose and small mouth. I had a LSH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register