Pre-op preparation hints | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op preparation hints Pre-op preparation hints

Unread 03-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

Hello! I have 1 1/2 weeks until my TAH (March 12) and wanted to ask for suggestions from you pros on what I need to do to be prepared... What things do you wish you had done before, what worked great for you, etc.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

Well, I am only 5 days post-op but, would have to say to make sure you stock ur home with some foods that u will want after surgery, ((I was so concerned about my family that I didn't think much about me)). Also get stool softeners for at home after, then start taking them as soon as u get home.

Out of all the stuff I took to the Hospital, the best were, my 2 pillows from home, my EYE SHADE ((post below)), Chap Stick, baskets for the nurses & 1size larger Granny Panties.

I took an entire bag full of stuff but didn’t use 1/2 of it. But, would take it all again just in case.

((Below, Previous post about what to take))
I took a bag with most of the stuff yall have already mentioned and didn't use 1/2 of it.
The thing that I would buy for u myself and send with each of u would be an............

>>>>>> EYE SHADE

OMGosh, I had never used one but, it was a God Send. Weather it was the lights on, sun from window or just feeling like I needed to sleep while people were in the room.... IT WAS WONDERFUL!! I had it on most of the time & besides it being a conversation piece because it was bright pink on the front and said "Peace at Last", I really think subconsciously it helped block out some of the noise also.
Unread 03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

I took the week before my surgery off and I am glad that I did. I was able to get things organized and prepare others for my absence from activities.

The one thing that I wish that I had done was buy water. I bottled water and I thought that I had enough. My bladder got knicked and I went home with a catheter to allow the repair to heal. They told me to drink 10 - 12 glasses of any beverage each day. Well, when you are watching the bag fill up - you are more careful about what you drink. So I have been basically drinking water for 7 weeks. Not a bad thing. But I ran out.

The water ran out around the time that I was released to drive. I went to Costco and went straight to the manager (explained that I had surgery and couldn't lift anything). He had someone go and get everything I wanted and bring it to the register. They loaded my car. When I got home, I asked each person that came to vistit to bring something in. It worked great.

I'm sure that others will come along with suggestions, but these two things stood out for me - taking the week before off and buying water.

Blessings on you .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

Hi Allie,
Ditto from the posts above. I cleaned the house the week before, stocked the house, did up the laundry, washed and changed my sheets, had my recovery area set up and froze food for DSs and DH. Got some bland stuff for myself...juices, prepared jello, Dole mango and raspberry sorbet, Raisin Bran, oatmeal, soups, puddings. My taste was off and was sometimes nauseated so I wasn't able to return to my normal diet at first. Just wanted small portions and liquids mostly. Best wishes to you!!
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

Allie I am also going in on the 12 and I am also from GA! I am going to take my pillow and my fuzzy robe. Dh bought me some nice new gowns. I have been looking everywhere for a eyeshade. Found some little girls ones at wal-mart LOL
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

Here are my helpful hints:

>Put a case of water in your bedroom. Be sure to place it on a dresser so that you do not have to bend down to grab a bottle

>Keep your jammies, comfy clothes, grandma underwear all in one drawer. Make sure the drawer is high up so that you don't have to bend over

>Buy a basket with a handle for your bedside must haves: remote, cell phone, landline, medicine, carmex, etc.

>Purchase a shower chair - this was a lifesaver for me and I couldn't have done with out it
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

Here's what I appreciated the most at the hospital:
- Chapstick
- Light weight, short (knee length) robe.
- Fuzzy, soft socks.
- Nice smelling hand cream.
Didn't read at all because words jumped on the page due to pain drugs.

At home I really appreciated any elastic waist pants (sweats or lounging). I was also give the tip to get a pair of
excercise or bike type shorts (light weight and stretchy) These really helped me feel like my tummy was supported during recovery. Also, after a few weeks my heating pad was my best friend.

Good luck with your surgery and be sure to take care of yourself....take the time you need to fully recover.
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Pre-op preparation hints

Hi
Make sure you have elastic waisted sweats in a large size, enough to war for weeks...and slip on shoes (and pack an out fit to come home from the hospital in.)
I stocked up on books and DVDs and CDs but have really mostly read and done sudokus.
Definitely make a nest in your bedroom so that you have everything where you need it. If you are recovering without help get your pain meds prescirptions filled in advance. I bought a ton of dates, great for constipation. Also made sure I had chickensoup.
Most useful probably has been a small icecooler with a bunch of those reusable icepacks. Theyare great to help reduce pain and swelling.
Take a robe to the hospital for walking in thehalss and a pillow to hold against your incision and to put under the seatbelt in the car.
Wash your hair (and if you shave legs, do so )as late as possible before surgery so you feel decent afterwards.
Warn your family about how long you will be unable to go up and down stairs, drive, lift more than 10 lbs, so they are prepared in advance.
And something I wish I had done...make sure that your immediate family has people around to support them and if you have kids, prepare them in advance os they know what is going on, I was too loopy on painmeds to think about that.
Deb
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Pre-op preparation hints

Awesome advice ladies
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Pre-op preparation hints

have lotso f quick easy meals, water, a grabber by the bed, a small pillow for tummy and comfy night dress.
good luck
hugs
lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register