help knock some sense into me!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help knock some sense into me!! help knock some sense into me!!

Unread 03-01-2008, 11:16 PM
help knock some sense into me!!

Hi everyone,

I am almost 4 weeks post-op (on Monday). I'm FINALLY feeling a lot better... phew! I truly think the worst is past me. I do still have achiness in my abdomen, and i still feel that burning sensation off and on, but Tylenol takes care of it. I am sleeping fairly well (My body still wakes up to move positions, though). I feel better in the mornings than the evenings... by the evenings, I do get more achy and just have less energy.

My doctor told me that for the first 6 weeks post-op, I should only do things that are necessary and things that won't over-exert myself. So, I've been really trying my best to stick to his orders. I really have. I pretty much did not leave my house for 3 weeks, I am driving now, but only driving when absolutely necessary (taking kids to school), I haven't been to any store yet, I haven't even gone for a walk outside (mostly because we live on a big hill and I do not want to walk up or down a hill, so the only way to walk outside is if I drive somewhere flat, and park, and walk.... that is why I haven't walked outside).

I am a very active person normally, and I think I've been almost afraid to do much of anything because I have a hard time knowing when it's TOO much... I always like to push myself (this is all pre-surgery I'm talking about). So, I think that is why I haven't driven somewhere to go for a walk outside because I'm afriad my first walk willl turn into a 2 mile walk before I even know it, and i greatly regret it.

But, my concern is that I'm NOT doing enough.... I'm not worried about gaining weight and that sort of thing (I've actually lost weight)... and I'm not worried about my fitness level....I know that'll come back after I can start working out again.

But, I have read several posts on this board that say things like "walking makes you feel so much better", and just getting out and doing more each day or week makes you feel better and better.

When I walk, I still have to walk slow. I still walk just a tad hunched over.... people can tell something is not right with me because of how slow I walk. I'm starting to wonder if because I'm NOT doing enough that is what is keeping me from walking at a normal pace and that is keeping me from not being able to walk completely upright prior to now, etc.

I feel like I'm doing what my doctor told me to do, but I also think he was ultra conservative with me because he KNOWS I'm the kind of person who will push themselves if there are no strict boundaries. I'm pretty sure my doctor thought that if he told me it was OK to go for a walk every day, he'd fear that'd turn into a 2, 3 or 4 mile walk, which in his mind, is too much for this recovery period. He and I talked about this for a long time, and he would not budge when he told me to only do things if it's necessary for the first 6 weeks.

But, now I'm worried that I'm hindering my recovery by not doing enough.... am I nuts in thinking this, or do you think I should be doing more? When I hit 6 weeks, I'm really hoping I'll be walking around like normal and not being walking the pace of a 90 year old!!! I AM feeling better in terms of pain, but I still have to walk really slow in order for walking to even be comfortable.

Can any of you just knock some sense into me..... should I be worried that I am NOT doing enough, and this is what is possibly keeping me from not walking more normal yet? I will qualify by saying i am NOT just laying around all day long. I am up and walking around my house all the time.... so I'm not just sedentary. I'm just not going for walks outside, going to the mall, going to stores, using exercise equipment, etc.,

I did have a big day today, but it was just a one-time thing. I had an event to go to where I had a major role and I needed to be at...(I put this in the "necessary category), so I was out from 9:30 - 3:00 today, and when I came home, I just flopped into bed and slept for 2 hours, and I've had my bottom parked on the couch since then. At this event, I sat most of the time, so I wasn't active physically, but there was pressure on me because I was doing some public speaking.... but with the exception of this one-time event I went to today, I have really been doing the very minimal each day.... I'm planning on resting all day tomorrow and Monday for sure. I raelly am working HARD at not over-doign it because i don't want to pay the consequences down the road.

However, I just do not want to hinder my recovery speed by not doing enough.... should I not be worrying??? I understand by 6 weeks post op, my belly might still be swollen and my abdomen might still be tender, but i really hope I'll be walking around normal, and I won't appear like something is wrong with me, and people won't be asking me if I'm all right.

I just hope that by me not being active enough is not hindering my recovery in terms of being able to walk normal and feel normal by 6-weeks.

Thoughts????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 12:12 AM

Hi!
What is it the ladies here say? I believe it is something like you only have one chance to heal and so do it right.

Follow what your doc said. You don't want to push it and then find out you actually slow down your recovery!

Everybody is different and recovery times all are different. I had a LSH and it seems most everyone who had one of those surgeries was up and about in no time but not me. I was really slow to start feeling better.

You only have 2 more weeks and then it sounds like you will be able to start doing what you want. I know it seems like forever but it will really go fast and you will be happy you took care of yourself.

Lizzy
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:28 AM

Hi LTR,

I've been wondering/thinking the same thing over the past week or so, although I've just reached the 3-week point.

After reading about others who are already up to walking x miles a day, I have to remind myself that 1) they may have had a different surgery than I, and 2) I can't worry about weight or what-not now, because the most important thing is to let my body heal at it's own pace. I can all I want once I'm healed.

The walking does help keep things moving internally, though...I had TWO glorious BMs yesterday!!!

I am also still slow and a bit hunched over, but I do (carefully) try to straighten up as often as possible (especially in bed, once my innards have smoothed out).

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 01:22 AM

Hi,

I'm just starting on my 3rd week post-op and still taking my time. I try not to push myself too much when walking. I haven't gone out yet like you and just walking slowly around the house. I walk like a turtle and hunch a little
when I walk. I also feel more comfortable holding on to my tummy when I walk. I think that's the reason why I haven't gone out yet. I don't want people looking at me wondering why I'm walking this way.

I agree with the previous post. Listen to your body and take your time during your recovery. This is the only time we get to relax and recover.

TAH 2/13
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:57 AM

Loves to run,

I feel the same way you do, I've gone from one extreme pre op to the exact opposite post op per the doctors orders. I can't help that I am not doing enough though after reading about everyone else who is already out there walking and be social.

I wonder if its anything like when you are running and hit "the wall" and then have to push through it to really get in the zone, because if thats the case I am losing the race right now, I'm not pushing at all and am starting to think maybe I should. Today is 3wks and 3 days post op for me.

Today is supposed to be in the low 80's and sunny here and my DH has to the whole day off for the first time since my first couple of days home. So I am thinking of a 15-20 minute walk along the beach and they have benchs all along the way so if I have to sit and have him get the car and pick me I can.

I can see it now everyone will be in bathing suits and I'll be in my baggy sweats, hunched a little, snail pace and holding my abdomen. This should should really bulster my ego, LOL.

I will let you know how it goes later. Glad your day worked out yesterday and take it easy today.

Michelle

TAH, Oophectomy Left Ovary
Unread 03-02-2008, 03:55 AM

LTR,
Your getting antsy, I know how your feeling. My Dr. said nothing for 6 wks also. It does go fast and I'm sure he said 6 wks for a reason (you'd probably do to much). Same reason my Dr. said 6 wks, because she knew what kind of job I have.

Then I felt as if I wasn't doing enough, cause of all the progress I was reading about. Everyone seemed to be doing much more than I was. I just figured (like you already said), I'll have plenty of time to get back in shape.

So just sit back and relax and enjoy your time, it will be worth it.

We don't want to send the hyster to your door.

Keep us posted on your progress, the standing up straight thing, etc.
Unread 03-02-2008, 04:38 AM

I also worry that I am not doing enough and when I do do something I worry that I did to much.

I will be 4 weeks post-op this coming Thursday. I haven't been out much, 3 times and one was to our taxprepares office to sign papers and right back home.

I have been to Wal-mart twice, one for stuff we needed and two to be able to get some walking in, we also live on a major hill and between that and the snow snow and more snow I don't feel to safe walking around the outside of our apt.

Also, the two times I went to wal-mart I was in pain, and half doubled over by the time I got home and was totally done in for the day, I felt like I had just walked a marathon or so.

So, I try to get more rest, just not up doing much at all the days after I do do something that causes this. then up and at it again, not doing anything not supposed to do just stuff like the dishes, laundry and etc. then down again for a day or so.

As said sit back and relax.
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:21 AM

LTR: I agree with the other ladies. If your doctor said wait then you probably want to wait. It sounds like you are doing a little more each day which is good. I'm just like you and run a million miles an hour every day so I've had the same problems slowing down. I worry when I see other posts about ladies doing more than me, but I try to listen to my body. Because of years of fighting endo I have trained my body to push past the pain and keep going. All of that has to go out the window now as I retrain myself to listen to what my body is telling me. You and your doctor can decide what is best. Just remember to take care of yourself. This is only a short period of time and will be over before you know it!
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Hello!

I think you should sit back and relax. Now is not the time to be pushing your body past it's limits. Walking is good, but you say you are still hunched over a bit and there is a reason for that. If you could stand up straight and walk or run, you would be doing that...but you can't. The changes that will take place between week 4-6 are huge. Do not mess that up because even at week 6 you have to be somewhat careful. I thought at the six-week mark things would be great and they were, but it took till eight to feel really good. Take your time, have one recovery, and you will be off and running before you know it.

Good luck,

bitterpill
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:28 AM

LTR
What I wonder is will you take off running at the 6 week mark? You are at a point where you can start increasing your activity...if you haven't had infections or bleeding than you are doing well for yourself and it sounds like you feel like you WANT more. Try that walk outside but set a timer on your watch...10 minutes TURN around and go back...maybe the next dat 15 minutes...if you set the limit BEFORE you start than you most likely won't overdo it...on post op day 6 I remember waking up and feeling wonderful, my mom was staying with me from Canada and it was a beautiful day...so we walked...my mistake was not setting a limit and at the 30 minute point I realized oops...too far and I knew I had atleast 30 minutes to go...payed for it!!! But I still went out the next day and set my watch for 10 minutes...much better!! by week 4, I was able to tolerate 45 minutes at about half my usual pace but it felt GOOD!! I am now almost 8 weeks and back to work...my shifts are 6am to 8pm so I needed to build up stamina before returning to work (we can't do half days). I work in cardiac surgery so I spend a lot of time with open heart surgery patients and develop their post op do's and don'ts, and one of the first goals we set is walking.

I still have dull achy pain, I even took vicodin after a shift this week but overall I feel so much better than I did preop...this pain is so much easier to deal with because it's getting BETTER!!...so long story I guess my point is...start to work yourself back in small intervals - you're an athlete...you know about goal setting and you know your body...steady steps forward with quality rest and you will get where you want to be.

Good luck and enjoy your downtime... after six weeks you'll miss it!!

Trish

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register