Steri-Strips (12 days post op) When will they "fall off" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Steri-Strips (12 days post op) When will they "fall off" Steri-Strips (12 days post op) When will they "fall off"

Unread 03-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Steri-Strips (12 days post op) When will they "fall off"

Hello sisters...

Its Sunday afternoon and I'm 12 days post-op from TAH/LSO..can you tell me when your steri-strips fell off? The nurse at the hospital when she put them on a week ago Thursday said they would 'fall off' within 5 - 7 days...

I am starting to get worried because they haven't, and I don't want to pick at them...sigh..can you share your experiences with me please?

Also, what is it like when they come off? Is that when the itchiness starts? Did you all put something else on the incision in the steri-strips place?

Help..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 09:55 AM

My Dr removed mine 13 days after surgery. But had he not, mine would still be on. I have read on here many times where they stayed on for weeks and weeks. I don't think based on what I read that's it a problem.

Good Luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:59 AM

I am 19 days post op and still have about 5 steri-strips. The corners are lifting up but I do not pull on them. I find that when I get out of the shower is the best time to get them off. Underneath the steri-strips is just a small scab and shiny pink new scar. My Mom and MIL both told me that after the scab is gone to very lightly massage around the incision to try to avoid keloiding of the scar. They have both had TAH's and other abdominal surgeries so I will take their words for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Oops! I didn't know I was supposed to let them fall off and took mine off in the shower. It all looks okay though so I probably just dodged a bullet here.
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:15 AM

my doctor told me at my one week post op visit to wait a few more days and then take mine off. I did and my site feels so much better.
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Sounds like we were all told different things. My doc told me (1) don't worry if they fall off after 7-10 days and (2) if after that time they are starting to peel off, peel them off.
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:43 PM

It has been 13 days from surgery. I have found that mine were starting to curl and driving me crazy. I decided to take them off today. It feels so much better. I think the sticky part sometime gets caught on my clothes. Anyway, I'm glad I did it, I hope is was not a mistake??
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:16 PM

My told me that they would come off on their own - but if they didn't, take them off before my first follow-up appointment (because by then they would be gross - ) - - - which was 18 days post-op.

They started coming off about day 9 and by day 18, they were all gone.

I think it is another case of each having their own preference.
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Hi Dans_Wife!

My steri-strips are still on as well. I am 3 weeks post-op. I think the doctor and her staff cemented my steri-strips on!!!!! They are in no way falling off at all! When I take showers, they still stay stuck on no matter what! I haven't touched them one bit. The nurses post-op suggested I keep them on until I see my doc at my post-op appt, unless they fall off before then.

My incision and the skin around it hasn't been itchy at all. It feels numb and achy.

Have a good day!

Take care, Irish Bridie
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM

I just came over to post the same question!

I am 17 days post-TAH and my steri-strips are all still stuck on, not even curling on the edges. I was told that they'd fall off and that was the experience I had with steri-strips on my leg, but I don't think these ones are ever going to budge.

My post-op appointment 2 weeks away. I don't think I want to wait that long, I may pull them off this week. They're starting to itch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register