Gas coming back? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gas coming back? Gas coming back?

Unread 03-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Gas coming back?

Hi all,

I am now 3 weeks and 2 days past my abdominal surgery. I was done with major gas pain - yea - for at least a week. Now the last 2 days I have had MAJOR gas pain again. Like immediatley post op. My belly is so bloated again and twice now I've had to go back on percoset to make it through. In fact last night I took a percoset and an ambien just to get through the night.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What foods are safer to eat to not produce gas? I know the usuals - broccoli type veggies, beans etc, but I am miserable and when I feel like that I don't want to eat. But I desperately need to as I am down now so far and SO underweight.

Thanks for your help,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Gas coming back?

The gas pain? I've been taking GAS-X plus antiacid for the heartburn I also get. I can't really suggest anything more than what you mentioned, as it seems to be any food and drink appears to cause the gas. I am starting to wonder if the gas may be more from the healing process...?? Any thoughts on that too??
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Gas coming back?

After my SAH I had terrible gas pains and intestinal cramps that would double me over. These continued for a while and when I saw my regular family dr. he prescribed a rx called Bentyl, it is a smooth muscle relaxer so it help to stop the cramping in the stomach and intestines. It worked great. I know that a lot of women talk about gas X too. But the Bentyl is what really helped me. You might want to talk to your dr.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Gas coming back?

starbgirl
Try to avoid the percocet...narcotics only bind you up more...gasx or beano may be helpful with the gas but the best you can do is eat several small low residual food (soft foods like soups, pudding, jello) and keep mobile...walking etc. try adding some suppliments to your diet like milkshakes or Boost puddings. Did your doctor give you stool softener? If you are taking the percocets you need to take the softener. You had the delayed postop infection right? If you are still on antibiotics (or even if you're off) try yogurt. don't let the distention and pain go too long...let your doc know about new developments - you have had a lot of "renovation" inside and are a set up for blockage from adhesions. take care, and I hope you get some relief! by the way I have had a very uncomplicated recovery but I still get very distended and horrible cramping right after eating - my doc basically said my gut was still adjusting to it's new position in my body! I hope you continue to heal from your more than complicated journey!!
Trish
Unread 03-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Gas coming back?

Try to be patient. I know just how you feel and it is frustrating!

My gas keeps coming back too and I am almost 6 wks post op. So, I am trying just to eat lots of cereal. If you are lactose intolerant though, dairy is not a good idea. Anything with lots of sodium makes my tummy retain tons of water and bloats me really bad, and I love this homemade chicken soup I've been making!

I take over the counter Phayzyme for gas and also you could try drinking club soda with about 6-7 drops of bitters in it. Chug about a half a glass of that and it will make you burp a lot out! :woot:It does not taste great, kind of tastes like sugar-free root beer, but it's bearable.

I saw that you took Ambien with Percocet! Be careful!!

Pills like Ambien also do not work very well if you have food in your stomach, so people make the mistake of thinking they should take more of it and then over-do it.

I used to take Ambien and if I had eaten, it would not work at all, but if I had an empty tummy, it would knock me out cold in about 15 minutes!

Both of those medications are very strong and whatever you have in your tummy will affect how they work, so please talk to your doctor about taking something safer, ok? My Phenergen is an antihistamine, but my doctor gave it to me for nausea and I also had it in the hospital, (it knocks you out & makes you sleep too) so perhaps you could ask your doc about trying it?

I don't think you are supposed to mix Ambien with pain killers.....that's what just killed Heath Ledger....(I know he took a lot though) My doctor told me I could mix my pain meds with some anti-histamines, like prescription Phenergen or Benadryl, but you should ask your doctor about that. I have to take a couple Phenergen a day because I keep having really bad nausea and it's driving me crazy! There is also Melatonin for sleep, but again, you should ask your doctor about ANYTHING you take for sleep if you are also taking percocet. I hope to get to feeling better, I know all this is frustrating.....I am going really crazy too and just started having a few hot flashes yesterday. Try to get a good night's rest tonight and call your doc tomorrow, ok?

Andrea
Unread 03-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Gas coming back?

Please don't take the Percocet with Ambien, to many bad accidents happen due to this. As far as the gas goes the Dr gave me gas-x in the hospital and then said at my one week post op that I may need it for as many as 2-3 months just because the intentines are going to be moving around and settling into a new position for quite some time. So until they are completely settled gas, constipation or even the runs can occur. Until this afternoon I didn't have any gas for about a week and then in the last 3 hours I have eaten 4 gas-x tablets and there was no change in my regular diet, so who knows when the gas will pop up.
Unread 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Gas coming back?

Andrea, me too. I had mine the day before you and I've had like 3 or 4 gas attacks since the 3rd week. Usually after I overdo it physically. Today I was chewing on the tabs for stabbing pains.
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Gas coming back?

Me too. I had to buy some more Gas-X again. And the pains have come back under ribs.
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Gas coming back?

Wow ladies -

Thanks for all the responses. I'm so sorry you are all going through this also and at the same time I'm so relieved!! For once I'm doing something normal

Thanks also for the advice on the drug interaction. That is scary and it really did knock me out which at the time I was in so much pain I was grateful for. I'm going to ask my Dr about the Bentyl. I am having so much more constipation this time which last time by this point was solved. I think that is contributing to the problem also. I am still taking the colace 2x a day. Plus I am taking thr Miralax. I had to skip it on Friday night though as I was in too much pain to put anything in my stomach. So I took it last night but now I haven't gone since Friday morning and that makes me nervous. I took it again tonight and I'm hoping for success tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
MOM, NOT Miralax! :(

Oh my gosh, are you eating soft foods? I am almost 6 wks and I still am stuck eating yogurt, cottage cheese, soups, granola, cereals....I do well with dairy and I have had not had any constipation, but the gas comes and goes....I cannot have bread or big portions of carbs or it causes major pains! I am also drinking lots of water, gatorade, juices....

I think you are taking Miralax by mistake? I REALLY do think a couple of the Sisters on here have gotten Miralax mixed up with Milk of Magnesia!!

I've seen plenty of people saying they are on M.O.M. for constipation, but Miralax will cause very bad intestinal spasms and add to your pain as well as dehydrate you! That can be dangerous to your healing process and tough on your tender intestines too....

Oh my....no wonder you are in pain, you poor thing, I think I would DIE if I took a laxative right now! Drink lots of liquids tomorrow and see if that helps ease the spasms and helps move things along in there.....hope you feel better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register