Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 03-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

If your hysterectomy was between Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3. Remember to start a new thread to ask your questions.
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I'll start this ball rolling

Hi there -- DSH/BSO on March 3rd here. I came home last night, and besides the ride home (bumpy and uncomfortable) and the fire in the hospital the night I stayed there (yes, that's right, we were wakened by a fire alarm at 3:11 a.m. -- fortunately turned out to be nothing), things have been going well.

Haven't had a complete bowel movement yet (tmi?), but everything else seems to be working. Hope others are doing well!
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
TVH March 4

Surgery early on the 4th, and very leepy all day and night. Not sleepy enough to avoid noticing that patients across the hall had visitors until 11 p.m. or so. but sleepy enough not to care much about it! Wonderful nursing, housekeeping, and dietary staff were very comforting.

March 5, still on morphine. First ate cream of wheat for breakfast March 5, barfed up first bites. Afterward, kept food down, although didn't really experience hunger. Eating after ~30 hours without seemed to help my energy level and I could stay awake longer. Once food stayed down, switched from morphne+anti-nausea to toradol. Drank lots of water, got to take a shower around 10:30 and some gentle walkabouts. Rest of day was gentle walkabout, nap, water, nap, food, nap, walkabout, nap. Sat up too long yesterday afternoon & pain snuck up about 7 hours after last dose of painkiller. Ooops!

Back home evening of March 5. Some gas, taking Gas-X & stool softener, and gentle walkabouts. Ride home seemed a lot bumpier than I remember. Either allergies or a cold, have a tickle in my throat, and pressing on a pillow helps a lot to make gentle

Have some back, neck, and throat soreness, like I spent all day pulling weeds and yelling. Due to a little arthritis, didn't used to be able to tilt my head all the way back, can now. Probably has something to do with the surgery position.

Handsome husband is minding me today, and probably will feel comfortable enough to go to work 2.5 miles away tomorrow. The pain I have now is less than the worst days before the surgery, and not too hard to cope with. I hope the rest of my sisters are faring well, -Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Back from the castle

My TAH-BSO, adhesion separation and enterocele repair is over!!! It was done the morning of 3/4, and I have no clue about anything until the morning of 3/5. That was when they took out the catheter, and wanted me to walk, but all I could do is The nurse kept saying it was the anesthesia, but I knew better. I have had post op nausea before, and this wasn't it. When my came through that afternoon he agreed that something else was causing my nausea, and he changed both of my pain meds, and the vomiting stopped!! I don't know which one caused it, so I will not be taking either of them again. After that I was able to walk, had a BM this am, and then was released to come home. Unfortunately my 21 year old pregant 21 weeks daughter was my transportation home, and she started having some contractions, so we had to wait until her ED visit was over before we could go home. Good news, though, both she and the baby are OK, and I am now home in my own little bed.
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Had my TAH on 03-04! Woke up from anesthesia in recover and I was in horrible horrible pain. They ended up giving me a spinal because I was not responding to the IV drugs. So, that helped alot. Im still in the hospital right now, going home tomorrow. I have been slowly walking up and down the halls, and to the bathroom as well. Was able to take a shower and all of that today. That felt reall good. The spinal made the first 24 hours horrible though. Even though it helped quite a bit with the pain, I had to be put on a breathing monitor because of it, and every single time I fell asleep apparently my breathing would fall a little too shallow and it would beep like crazy and wake me up lol. So like every two minutes it was beeping like crazy until i would take some deep breaths. Anway, Im going to relax now, i will report more when I get home tomorrow. Oh I also think its kind of crappy how 4 people now have come in my room congratulating me on having a baby. Rawr! And the walkway through the hall is right there next to the nursery'!
Unread 03-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Had my TAH on March 3rd. I remember waking up in recovery in a LOT of pain. Fortunately I responded well to the morphine and the pain has been managable since. Had a really good first night, the nurse staff was wonderful to only wake me when absolutely necessary so I got quite a bit of sleep. They pre-treated me for nausea before I woke up, so I didn't have to worry about any of that. I even remember speaking to the visitors that I had on Monday night
I felt good most of the day Tuesday and was able to get up and shower. There's nothing better than the feel of your own PJ's!! I started running fever Tuesday night, and they talked about keeping me until Thursday. Fortunately the Dr. checked my white cell counts and was certain that the fever was not caused by infection, so he went ahead and sent me home around 10a.m. on Wednesday.
My hubby has been really great about making sure that I get my meds, and that I eat (haven't had much of an appetite). In return, I'm trying to be a good patient and stay in bed as much as possible this first week. He is home with me until next Monday, which has been a real blessing.
We are expecting around 6 inches of snow tonight so the kids may be home with us tomorrow as well. I figure we can all gather up in the bed and play board games.
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:41 PM

I just got home from the hospital this evening. I had a TAH on 03/04/08 Tuesday. I have to say this surgery was in no way as bad as I thought it would be. The hosptial stay was great I was treated like a princesses from the nurses and my husband. I was able to be without morphine yeserday moring. I had them remove my catheter and IV and was able to move around, take a shower and though it hurts when I cough I make sure I put a pillow on my tummy. The only complaint I have is I am not able to eat anything I mean anything without getting sick. I have been only able to eat bananas, apple sauce and chicken broth. I had a tummy tuck in 2005 and my surgeon just went in the same scar and it is a small incision and he did a great job.

So to all you sisters in waiting It is not bad at all just drink plenty of water and get around and start walking and you will feel good before you know it. I am very grateful so far for the little amount of pain I am having.

Lollee8 I can relate I too was on the maternity and post partum ward the rooms were all private super nice but yesterday a nurse came in and handed my this book of picture packets and asked when I wanted my baby to get their picture made. I was like I didnt have a baby only a fibroid tumor but if you want to take his picture be my guest. She was embarrased but I told her no biggie I already had 2 children so I wasnt offended.
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM

I came home yesterday from the hospital. Things overall went well but there was some drama. My pusle tends to run fast normally (mid 80's), so between two weeks of anxiety, the bowel prep dehydrating me and just plain nervousness, my pusle was 125! They were concerned and the dr. even said "are you nervous?" Duh! He said we could postpone - I said it would be the same thing if I were to wait - so they did an ekg and that was normal - just showed tachycardia, so they gave me a beta blocker which brought it down to normal. Then the next morning the nurse, before helping me to get out of bed to sit, said I needed a pain pill. I told her I wasn't in pain but she said I needed it. She gave me 2 percocet - oh man. I got so sick - nauseated, dizzy. When the dr. found out, he was upset - said I didn't need it.
So he told me to go back to bed, sleep and then try to eat lunch. I was able to eat a few bites but was still so sick to my stomach. I was released and got home ok, but I was hallucinating all evening - I would drift off to sleep and see weird things, colors, hear voices, creepy!! At one point I was dreaming I was doing karate and yelled out "hiya". My husband totally jumped out of his chair! Thankfully that has cleared my system. Not real bad pain but manageable with ibuprofen. Seems like I'm peeing all the time. My face and hands got puffy but now that I'm going to the bathroom they're going down. Still fatigued but all in all not bad.
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:54 PM

I was just reading all you sisters posts. I'm glad your waiting is over and that each of you are on your road to recovery. Remember that everyone doesn't heal/recovery the same and to not get discouraged if your not recoverying as fast as someone else. We are all different!
I had my TVH on Jan 21 and have just passed my Six Week Mark. Each day and each week you will get better and start feeling more like yourself. Looking back I think my third week was my worst.
I will be praying for each of you!
Katrina
Unread 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM

Came home yesterday 3/5 morning - my LSH was on 3/4 and I stayed overnight at the hospital. I tried to be macho and take only 400mg of motrin instead of the 800mg recommended and was in great discomfort and ended up taking the narcotic just to get through last night. After that I have just been on the recommended dose. I became a peeing machine all of today - running to the bathroom every half an hour, sitting on the pot for 10 minutes then back and forth. It was exhausting and uncomfortable especially as the peeing was accompanied by bladder spasms. I checked with the surgical nurse and she said it was a common post-op quirky bladder syndrome and it should get better. Ate lightly and rested up, had a nice shower, shampooed my hair and felt much better. On the whole (touch wood) I am doing well. My best wishes to all my sisters in recovery. I am so glad it is over with.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register