Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 45 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofquestions
45 minutes on the treadmill??? Oh there is light at the end of the tunnel. Can't imagine that at this point, but seeing your surgery was the same day as mine, I'm thinking, all right! You go girl. Maybe this will be me a week from now (I can dream...). Doing more this week....but also taking more naps to compensate. How will it be going back to work on Monday? I just don't think I can predict that until I'm there. Hoping for the best.

Be patient with yourself. Everyone heals at different rates. And I am making sure I take a day off after walking for 45 minutes. I might do a 20 minute walk or something small, but only the longer one every other or every two days. I worked my way up slowly. Started with walking around the block 10 minutes and added a little every time I went out. Do what you can and give yourself a pat on the back.

Hugs to everyone!

teresa
03/06/08 TAH (kept ovaries) fibroids/adeno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Have any of you been to Curves? Before surgery that's where I went for my workout. I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait until I can go back.
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseS
Have any of you been to Curves? Before surgery that's where I went for my workout. I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait until I can go back.

My doctor told me 6 weeks. But she said I could walk. So if I can walk around the block on the hard blacktop, why can't I walk on a treadmill that has some give to it and not so jarring on my body? I thought about doing some light weights but have decided against it. Figured I'd stay within the doctor's guidelines. Better safe than sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
New to group

Hi everyone - This is my first post. I had a TAH on 3/6. I went into surgery feeling fine (I had the hysterectomy because of a family history) and came out of it feeling….well, you know.

I’ve had a pretty easy recovery for the most part. I only took the pain meds for a week, and I went back to work on 3/18 (against my doctor’s wishes); I’ve been doing fine with that. I teach college, so I can pretty much decide when I want to stand and when I want to sit without anyone thinking I’m any stranger than usual. Nor do they seem to have noticed that I only have two pairs of pants that fit comfortably.

I’ve been building up my exercise schedule to 3 mile walks, but this past Wednesday was the first day I walked completely pain free. I’m trying desperately not to gain weight, since I’m bored and the most entertaining thing around is the refrigerator.

My main complaints are the hot flashes - look, there went one now - and a general feeling of discontent. My doctor doesn’t want me on HRT because of breast issues. Has anyone else had to deal with the estrogen being cut off and no replacement in sight? Oh, yeah, and I hate my scar. I went in for LAVH, but my doctor had to change his strategy once I was under.

Enough griping from me (for now)!

MMM
Unread 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Okay, another question girls.......this is for anyone that may be doing the vaginal Premarin cream.

Do you every get crampy after inserting the cream?
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:20 AM

Welcome aboard MMM. I had mine just the day before you had yours and you're lookin' a whole lot stronger. Mine was the robotic laproscopic style and I thought I would be much further along by now. I actually thought I'd be back to work after my 2 week checkup (an itinerant teacher of the gifted) and riding by horse by week 3. Oh, fool that I was.
I've only had ibuprofen..allergic to evcerything else..and I take is anyway for all the other aches and pains. Hot flashes are much less evident than they were before as I was pretty much on the other side of monopause anyhow.
My issues have been more bladder and bowels not quite knowing where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to be doing!
My first day of work is Monday. As an itinerant, I carry my "class in a crate" and I'm NOT looking forward to that. I'll ahve to find a sympathetic custodian to drag my stuff up the nasty flight of stairs. Actually getting the crate in and out of the car isn't going to be so much fun either!
Glad to hear you're doing to well...you can be a beacon for the rest of us..."normality is in sight!"
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:40 AM

Equinox - best of luck to you at work on Monday! Have you thought about getting one of those wheelie bookbags? I'm looking into it - I've got a ton of books, folders, etc. too, but have been lucky that there was someone nearby when I needed to carry them from the office to the classroom...
MMM-Thanks for the post - good to hear about your progress. Like you, I'm not able to supplement with estrogen, (cancer risk) and I'm not quite sure yet how it's going to work out. It seems like there's a change every day, so right now I'm just trying to roll with it and go with the flow. I'm having frequent hot flashes, which are the strangest experience - but they don't bother me as much as the night sweats - whew! The mood swings were driving me (and everyone else - ha!) crazy for the first three or four weeks, but for whatever reason, i'm feeling a bit more calm and able to go through an entire day sometimes without bursting into tears - now it only happens once in a while.
Take care, everyone-
Jeannie
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:50 AM
We're getting there!!

Ladies, we are making good progress!! We have had this major life-changing surgery and though we are experiencing different rates of recovery we are getting there. Monday will be the four-week mark for me. I see that many of you are returning to work or have already. Thankfully I have two more weeks before I have to face that issue and am doing more and more every day to build up to that point.

I had a great day yesterday. Did some things around the house, then took a shower and actually put on makeup!! I met a friend for lunch and then went to the salon. After three hours - yeah, I was in pretty bad shape - I am again a blonde with a cute asymmetrical bob. I look like a much younger version of myself!! Although I am not 100% loving the base color which is a little too orange, as I say "Garfield-ish," I will live with it. I guess my own color just won't go the way I want it to. Plus my stylist said that anesthesia affects the hair and how it interacts with the color. I think DH likes it although he usually tells me he likes it regardless of what he really thinks. (Smart man.)

Last night we went to Ruby Tuesday to use our gift card. I wore my skinny jeans which was a mistake. They were pretty snug and aggravated my incision, which was already aggravated from sitting for three hours, so I had to unbutton and unzip them. Fortunately my top covered that up during my two trips to the salad bar. After coming home and playing a few computer games, I headed to bed early. I had that feeling of my insides rubbing together and didn't feel too hot.

I slept okay other than the usual drama. This morning my incision is burning and itching a little. It is looking much better.

I leave for my friend's house tomorrow morning around this time so today I will be getting ready for that. I am making some cupcakes to take with me and they'll be special to her. I made her wedding cake, which she requested about 10 years before she got married. It was vanilla cake with raspberry filling and lemon buttercream frosting. So I am recreating the cake in cupcakes. She will love that!! While there we'll be hanging out, playing with the baby, going to the new Ikea store, and hopefully walking outside. And getting in some good girl talk.

Have any of you been reading some of the other posts? I am really happy I am not having some of those same symptoms.

And so we press on, and will continue to do a little better every day. I have survived worse situations in my life with a lot less support, and I can do this.

Enjoy your day of healing!
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Doing well but still tired

It's been 4.5 weeks since my surgery and I'm doing fine as far as healing and normal activities. The one thing I'm having to deal with is still getting tired easily. Of course, being a teacher I have to bull through it and continue working (half days just don't work with eager and not so eager students). I end up coming home and taking a nap but sometimes the naps take over. Yesterday I got home late, having stayed an extra two hours for tutoring, and thought I'd just lie down for a short nap. It turned into a 5 hour nap! I woke up at 10pm, got up for about 30 mins, then went back to bed. I'm feeling much better this morning, though. Even swept the kitchen floor while waiting for the coffee to brew. I guess my body was telling me that it needed that extra healing time. So much for grading papers last night so I guess they'll be today's project.

Another thing I've noticed is that my bowels are still a bit touchy and confused. The gas is pretty much gone, but going from having a regular schedule with one BM per day to having 3 scattered throughout the day is a bit rough. My eating habits haven't changed so I'm at a loss to explain this. I guess I'll have to adjust, but I don't have to like it.

Oh, and the strangest thing.... my libido was sky-high after the surgery and I felt like I was champing at the bit to get the no sex restriction gone. Since the doc gave me the all-clear, I've lost interest in the whole thing. I'm hoping it's just a matter of timing, as I'm probably PMSing since I've still got my ovaries, but I kind of got a kick out the idea that my body only wanted something it couldn't have. Now, if only I could find a diet that told me I couldn't eat healthy food maybe I would develop a craving for rice cakes and lettuce. Or one that denied me chocolate for 4 weeks, then said I could eat all I want forever more....would I still want it after the restriction was raised? Have to think about that one.

I hope all you gals out there are getting better and that you keep your sanity though recovery.
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:56 AM

Little Stamper..you always make me feel so good! you are so upbeat and positive...and you are always doing something that's interesting!
And yes...Jeannie..I have an LLBean backpack with wheels and I've broken at least 4 of those crates on wheels..the current one has bungi cords wrapped around it! I always try to get too much into everything. My purse weighs a ton as well...actually it may be over the "don't lift anything over 5-10 pounds " rule. I think that we will be doing animated films so that I will only need to carry the cameral and the tripod. The other stuff should be in the classrooms.
enjoy the sun!!! Joan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register