Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 60 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM
6 weeks and counting...

(Hopefully this won't post twice...the internet ate my first try)

Hi all, I'm a newbie, 36 years old and 6 weeks out from my LASH--a new one, lap assisted supracervical procedure. I kept my cervix, but nothing else. I have a tiny bikini cut, one under my belly button, and a 1.5"-ish incision on the left and right sides.

So far, recovery has been really good. I feel almost guilty saying that, because others are not having it so good, but I've had a LOT of surgeries, and this is the best recovery yet. I still have the swelly belly and pain, but compared to my laparatomy in '91, this is not so bad.

I have had cysts since I was 14, and PCOS as an adult. My right ovary was getting so funky, the doc wanted to get in and look at it, and I was developing endometriosis, and in constant pelvic pain, so we went for the surgery.

I don't have medical insurance, so the LASH was a great option, because it's outpatient. I went in at 5:30 am, and was home by about 2:00 in the afternoon. No overnight stay = less money.

It's a relatively new procedure--my doc had only done one or two before me, but I felt confident, and I'm glad I did it. I had mild vaginal bleeding for the first 3 days, and then nothing.

At 6 weeks, I've resumed most activities, but I've also developed some surface infections in my incisions. I'm a diabetic, and a slow healer, but I'm having some real problems with two of the incisions so I may be headed back to the doc this coming week. That, on top of the normal swelling and itching and irritation is driving me crazy, so I ordered the Swelly Belly Band and I can't wait for it to come!

I'm almost afraid to say this, but I actually feel free after this surgery. I don't want to offend anyone, but after 22 years of cysts and such, I'm now free of the daily severe pelvic pain, irregular spotting and clotting, and my skin is clearing up. I've even lost weight. It really feels like my general health is improving. I also have fibromyalgia, and I had a gastric bypass in '99, with lots of long-term side effects, so any improvement in the overall health is a blessing.

Estrogen replacement seems to be going pretty well too, aside from headaches from the estradiol, but hopefully those will resolve.

Hopefully this is interesting or helpful to someone out there. I wish I had found out about this site pre-op, but at least I'm here now. I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences with this new procedure.

Best recovery wishes to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Hello Again, yes it seems there are less and less posts. Welcome Hoodoo doll, I love the names! I am 6 weeks post op and I havent had my check-up yet. Our life has been flipped upside down after my visit east to Ontario to see my mom. My MIL (mother in law) had a huge stroke and they don't expect her to recover, so all of my husbands family have been coming to see her and I cook for them! I did spend last Thursday night in her room. It is so sad and yet wonderful to see everyone.
As for my swelly belly it has gone down a bit since over doing it at soccer practice last Tuesday. I have been wearing regular jeans for 1 1/2 weeks now, but I did put on my yoga pants for a few days. It snowed here today, unbelievable on April 19 since I have cut the lawn twice since February, it is crazy weather. Consequently we didn't have soccer practice so my belly has more time to recuperate before our first game Tuesday.
It is weird when I overdid it my inscision (9") hurt too which made me wonder if it was permanent, but everyone seems to have little set backs when they overdo it so I think I am okay.
Remember.... walking the first time after surgery, the gas pains that you thought you would die from, morphin, your first look at the incision, calling yourself princess, trying to get out of bed, the dog jumping on you, going for a car ride, pondering whether you could drive or not, being BORED! It all seems so long ago.
Well I am off to see if I have all the ingredients for Texus Chilli for tomorrow night, we are having curry tonight.
It has been great as usual
Unread 04-19-2008, 04:57 PM

It's so wonderful that there is a place we can go to hear from other women in the same situation! It's so reassuring that there are others out there with the same weird symptoms & problems......and they're getting through it! I'm not the only one that looks normal in the a.m. and by evening I'm a waddling six-month pregnant middle aged woman. Not a pretty sight! Thanks, everyone for helping me stay sane through all this. I'm so glad we're all in this together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Hi
Yes it is great to hear other people are walking funny by the time night rolls around. I thought it was just me! I do get some what swollen, but mainly walking slowly and a little pain in the lower stomach area. I guess that must be due to being on our feet so long. I do have to wait two more weeks before sex. I still have a mild discharge. I am hoping that will subside soon. It will be 7 weeks next Thursday. Anyone else have that problem? Well anyways have a great weekend from what is left of it. Take care all of you. sadie1964
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:28 AM
good morning

hello ladies...
i am 2 weeks post op (tomorrow) and doing OK. it is great to have these posts...i too am having some minor setbacks from doing too much. am glad to hear that i am not alone and also hate the belly swelling. when does that get better anyway?? i also miss sleeping on my tummy. i am afraid to do it yet....do you think i shouldn't yet? i will try to be patient. i guess i am so worried about doing something wrong and having a problem.

all in all this was actually easier than some of my prior surgeries. bonus....gone is my lower back pain from my huge tilted uterus....AMEN! LOL

i hope all of you know how valuable you are to everyone here. have a great day.

joan
Unread 04-20-2008, 04:04 PM

Hello Ladies ~ Well, my 6 weeks off of work is up. Tomorrow I face 25 kindergarten students. I think that I am ready. I have been feeling great. I took my 9 year old to the zoo on Friday. We were there for 4 hours. We walked to whole time. I have also been cleared by my doc. for everything for 2 weeks now. I have been walking 30 min. each day since week 3 and have been having sex and loving it since my 4 week check up! I guess that means that it is time to leave the house and get on with life. I have so enjoyed this site. It has helped me get through so much. I plan to keep up with the posts because I think that it is important to keep in touch. Wish me luck this first week back!

TAH, kept ovaries, bikini incision 3-6-08
Unread 04-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi Ladies...I made it back and forth this weekend...yikes..the 6 hours of driving each way was tough. Once I got home today I've just been sitting...tried hte ice but that really didn't help
I loved spending time with my daughter and family but I've sure forgotten what busy family life can be. It's just the husband and moi at home.
Still have the swelly belly...still have those other pains..whatever they are.. so glad to hear everyone is getting "normaler and normaler!" Joan
Unread 04-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Having glorious moments of feeling absolutely "normal"!!

Greetings everyone!!

It seems amazing to me to know that it'll soon be 7 weeks on Thursday since I parted company forever with the spare parts!! I've been taking things relatively easy since last Thursday when I staggered back to work after a day in bed with what seemed like terminal exhaustion at the time. Then the brain function went AWOL, but has been much better since then - I put it largely down to all the rotten passwords and usernames that I need for the computer databases at work, and naturally, they'd all changed since I was away!!

I've also been doing some homework in the "Oasis Desert", and the lack of our good ex-friend "Estrogen" could also be to blame for diminished brain function. I did all right today though as I certainly hadn't forgotten how to catalogue books at work - which is a wondrous blessing as I'm the only one who knows how to do it!!! and we'd be totally up the creek otherwise.

Last Friday went okay, although I still felt very tired and was a bit "slow". Not so slow that I couldn't accompany the boss out for dinner and a few wines. A short drenching on the way from work to my car also helped considerably to wake me up, as the rain shower came out of nowhere, and I didn't have an umbrella!!! It was really lovely to go out - as I've been feeling like a 1000 year old hermit after being at home for so long!! Also noted that day that it was the FIRST time I actually forgot I'd had surgery as I could walk at my normal pace, feel no discomfort/pulling and the bloater belly seemed somewhat smaller!!

On Saturday I felt very tired again, so stayed home and did nothing for most of the day, until the unwelcome thought that I'd better get down to the grocery store before it shut forced me into action. And another milestone conquered - the first pushing of the shopping trolley!!! They have some smaller trollies, so I gingerly grabbed one of those and set off - fantastic!! NO problems - which was just as well as I needed to load up on toilet paper again, after buying enough rolls to last through a nuclear holocaust before I went into hospital!!!

Yesterday I felt less tired, but still washed out - so I went visiting my sisters who gave me more food!! Even now that I'm back at work and driving, the food still keeps coming!! It's fantastic - my mother gave me some more last night, then at work today another sister dropped in and gave me some leftovers for dinner. My sisters work at the hospital where my library is situated, so I see them every day!!!

To save going on forever - I'd better wind this up!! Back to work today, still a bit tired but much better, and again fairly normal, although things are niggling a bit now as I did lift a few heavy library books!! (One at a time though!!). Back to the doctor on Wednesday for my check-up, and I think I'll try some HRT for a short while - I'm only getting a few hot flushes, but think it may also be good for the "brain prolapses!!". I'm also going to rejoin Weight Watchers on Saturday. Friday is a public holiday here so I've only got 3 more days to get through, but it's much easier this week!!

Even the jolly old pot belly is down more this week, although it does resurface by sundown after a hard's day toil!! I'm living for the day when the black outsize bloater elastic-waisted grandma pants fall off!! Then I'll know I'm cured!!!

Well that's more than enough of me - I won't need to post again for several months after this rambling diatribe, but of course I will!! Hope everyone out there is feeling better this week - keep well and take things as easy as possible, we've got a way to go yet even though we've come such a long way now. Talk to you all again soon.

(I've been taken to task again for putting in too many "smilies" as I'm trying to post this - I really love them, but promise to be good next time!!)

Cheers
Ravioli
Unread 04-21-2008, 09:58 AM

Ravioli, you always make me smile when I read your posts!
It's Monday & I didn't do much over the week end. Shopped, went for a few walks, etc. Sunday, I tried to get out in the flower garden and pull up some things. DH kicked me out! Said I shouldn't be pulling things like old hollyhocks out of the ground. I agreed to just take the riff-raff build up from the long winter off my just emerging perrenials. I'm feeling more normal these days, although the swelling and spasms are still with me. Either I'm getting used to it, or it's getting a little better. Whatever, normal is just such a good feeling these days!
Stay Well!
Unread 04-21-2008, 02:21 PM
once again

Once again i posted a long one last night and the computer ate it!!!! So i had to gather myself to wait till today before i try again..but i sure wish i could remember what i wrote!! All seems ok, just feel like my head is running in very slow motion, my mind is on pause or something, rav i'm with you !!! the "brain and memory prolaspe" is getting worse..I just blank out LOL I either have to go back to where i was (if i remember) and replay it over sometimes it works. My weekend was some what blah, HAHA well cant remember if i posted this or not but my DD and her DB drove me go see my niece and then met a friend for dinner and a glass of wine i tried to look cute as possible in my maternity wear (which they didnt have so stylish when i needed them back in the day) go figure didnt wear them with both kids and wearing em now og how times have changed, anyhow back to subject ran into a few people who didnt know tried giving them the hug and belly block at the same time too get the ohh and ahhs of OMG when and short answer I:M NOT..So i decided the wine wasnt strong enough and had them pick me up and take me home, of cousre highway was shut down go figure!!By that point belly i swear was gonna break thru my shirt it was getting so big...maybe because i wore a wedge heel thinking i'll only be sitting anyway (forgetting about all the potty runs i need to make) I still have these minor cramps and tweeks and twinges still a few minor gas pains that still intale breathing excerise(the only one of course no restrictions on) I've noticed been getting really tired thru the mid-day maybe cause i'm not in bed anymore or could it be the lack of sleep??? I have these most ridicoulous dreams that i have to wake myself up to get out of them!! whats up with that, going on 2 weeks now i stopped my beloved estrogen so feel better in some aspects and worse in others..Not too many hot flashes except for saturday night i felt the blood rush from my toes to my head and tears welt up i popped up from bed like a freakin piece of toast (thats what i felt like ) and had anxiety WOW that was fun heart going heat going belly going geez talk about a HOT MESS literally. But got thru it..Going thru changes of not sleeping on my side and my belly still cant no matter how hard i try..i prop pillows all over to attempt it but it feels so wierd on my side like everything falls over to the other side i guess it would since theres nothing to block the other organs huh..Still have a problem with the bladder only at the end so i try and leave a little in there for comfort..Maybe my bladder is lonely?? or just doesnt like its new spot who knows. I cant wait to get rid of my god forsaken strecth pants i'm sooo over them, especially since i have these skinny legs from the knee down and then as it goes up it becomes wider and rounder, i said you cant tell the difference between my belly and my booty right now spin my head around backwards and i still look the same!! And i have to wear the freakin pants up to my boobs cause its not comfortable any lower-great. Well enough i my rant and raving..OH quick question i happen to have peed out some stitches today (sorry gross) anyone else?? scared me..well i have to laugh right now and i know some of you can relate i hope...i am sitting in my chair...and its like a chain reaction my boobs are resting on my belly,my belly is resting on my lap LOL..bought a one piece to try and lay in the sun...i did for a hr, not bad the fron of me has color LOL watch out from behind still white and blinding..hope everyone is having a great day!!! glad to see all thats traveling kudos to you!!! those at the office too, i go back next week not sure what i will tell my poor workers(guys-cable) I am the only female and dont feel the need to answer the questions of why i am waddling in, so as i keep rubbing my belly and making a wish hopefully i'll get something out of it. All i ask is i know everyone is recovering and going back to their normal lifes...please let us not lose contact and our posts without everyone i wouldnt have been able to get thru it...and continue to get thru it..I still have a ways for mental and physical recovery (mental may never come....i accept this i appreciate all of you, as you were the closest to me, ones who understood in every aspect, for the days and nights i spent home alone my hystersisters were always there..for the days i was crying for loss,or pain, or just didnt know why, you were there,for the questions i asked that only here i could ask you were there,For these everyone holds a dear place in my heart..My family never even called and asked how i was...but yet you all were there...All my angels lots of hugges and kisses..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register