Bulges on stomach and flap of skin over incision - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bulges on stomach and flap of skin over incision Bulges on stomach and flap of skin over incision

Unread 03-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Bulges on stomach and flap of skin over incision

I have the bulge too, I'm 4 1/2 weeks post-op. I can't really see the incision unless I put my hand on the bulge and pull up. The bulge right above the incision is still very tender and is somewhat numb. Is this numbness normal?
I am using VIT E cream on the incision every day and it looks really good, just a thin line now with the staple marks still pink on top and bottom of the incision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2008, 04:49 PM

Numbness will be normal for a while, because the muscles are reattaching themselves to the skin via the fascia (spelling?).
Unread 03-08-2008, 11:43 PM

Thanks for all this amazing information girls! I go to my Doctor for my 5 week check up next Friday and I will report back what she says.....

Hang in there (not literally!)
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 06:34 AM

PB and Melelee, Thanks for responding. When you go to the doctor PB, let us know what he says about the flap, I am curious. I sure hope with getting back to exercising will help. And thanks for the sharing your experience Melelee, you are giving me hope that it is just temporary. I told my husband I would give it a year and then I am going to a plastic surgeon if it doesn't get better. I still have hope though, I would rather not have to go through that! have a good week and keep healing girls!
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks Soprano2...that makes me feel better!
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Lilgumba,

I will be 6 weeks postop tomorrow. I had my sister in law who is a nurse, look at my lower stomach yesterday, Because I havesuddenly got hardness around the lower part of my vertical incision here in the last week. It has bumps too and even redness in the area. She told me I have scar tissue there and it is normal.
I also have bulging on more of one side of my lower stomach and still get the swelly belly. I sneezed 5 days ago and it caused me to have another one of those pains that last for this time, 4 days. The bulging also feels like when I bend over I can feel the bulge inside too. Is this NORMAL?
I have been a bit discouraged, for it seems now I traded a couple of big fibroids for a bunch of hard globby scar tissue that I now feel on the stomachs OUTSIDE. It bothers me when I tried to wear jeans and I now wonder if I will ever be able to wear jeans again. I dont know if it was a good trade off. Really. Ifeel like I am stuck wearing loose sweatpants for the rest of my life.
Yes, I had a prolasped uterus. But I was in fair shape and was able to run over 3 miles in October. I now feel like I will never be able to run again. I am really discouraged. I still just dont feel right. The upper 2/3rds of my scar looks pretty good. It is the lower scar/incision that looks and feels pretty bad. I dont plan on ever wearing a bikini. I dont care about that. I am reallly upset with this scar tissue. It feels bad and is worrisome.

I feel better overall but still am NOT back to feeling "right" in lifting even a gallon of milk. I feel like that I am still too fragile to do anything that requires lifting pullilng and tugging. And feel like trying to get myself back in shape is an impossilbe task now.

Tomorrow I will see my doctor for the 6 weeks checkup. He is basically unapproachable and I feel like telling him what he needs to do with his suggestion of, "If it was my wife, Iwould tell her to get the hysterectomy."
The only 2 things he warned me about was if I didnt take some kind of estrogen, I would become PMSy. And to dont lift anything heavier than a pitcher of water. ( I expect the pharmecutical companies pay him to suggest estrogen...)
He never gave me any idea of what kind of pains, that there could be scar tissue, that I would have hundreds of stiches inside, that I would be even healing up 6 months to a year in my insides even. He never told me if I wasnt careful, that I could tear a stitch and then get adhesions that then could turn into big time trouble for me. He never told me about Hystersisters.
I kind of found hystersisters almost too late. For only learned of these facts through Hystersisters when I could have already damaged myself by possibly sweeping up crumbs, or lifting something that I thought was light enough. It was never stressed to me the importance of NOT lifting anything and NOt doing anything.
I am sorry to be a downer.
I just am really discouraged for me being 6 weeks, and not feeling like I could go back to doing a lot of heavy lifting and physical tasks, which my work requires me to do. Impossible- is how I feel about that now. I feel pretty stinking helpless, unfit, and unable to wear normal clothes.

Danasue103
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danasue103
I just am really discouraged for me being 6 weeks, and not feeling like I could go back to doing a lot of heavy lifting and physical tasks, which my work requires me to do. Impossible- is how I feel about that now. I feel pretty stinking helpless, unfit, and unable to wear normal clothes.

Danasue103
I'm 3 months post-op, and I felt like you did when I was 6 weeks. It gets better, trust me.

I got back into my jeans about 10 weeks post-op, albeit for only 2-3 hours at a pop. Now I can wear them all day, for 2-3 days in a row (at least one pair). I didn't get out of granny panties until about week 8.

The thing about this surgery, is to take things slowly, and to try to have some perspective. Already you're better than you were 2 weeks post-op. You'll be better in two weeks than you are now. Keep doing what is best for you, and know that it's all up from here!
Unread 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM

To Soprano2, ******

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Yes, even regular underwear still bothers me. Well, I hope that I will get better like you say. Yes, I am better than what I was 2 weeks ago...
I guess I just know when I go in tomorow for my checkup, I will be basically about as clueless as I was going in there.
*****One thing for sure...let this be a warning to any of you women who are trying to decide about having a hysterectomy....if you feel like you are not that happy with your current gynecologist/surgeon.... Find another one!! Mine used to be a good one 16 years ago, when he was first new in the business, when he delivered my last child. Now he seems to have too many patients and is too rushed and overwhelmed and has picked up very bad bedside manners.
I regret having him now, but I really had not much of a choice, unless I wanted to try a doctor 80 miles away in Columbus,Oh. That wasnt feasible for me. I hoped for the best. So just think about it, and find a doctor you know that has the skill AND the care and concern.

Danasue103 : TAH with vertical incision, 2 large fibroids and 20 some smaller fibroids, a prolasped uterus- 49 years old.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register